Thread: Hypothyroidism

durak is offline Member

Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism is not discussed much in these threads. On my initial BW i had low total T3 and top of normal T4 (going to get more extensive work done including reverse t3 and others). I did not understand why they would be opposite so I did many hours of research.

It appears that like testosterone many Drs don't understand that low normal T3/T4 can really be a problem. Even more that just treating blood tests and not the symptoms is common place.

Does anyone here have experience with this?
    Last edited by durak; 04-16-2010 at 01:07 AM.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    u might have a problem with your conversion of t4 to t3, maybe your 5'/3' deiodinase enzymes arent working.

and yes most docs. are pricks when it comes to low test levels and trt. you gota shop around for a more lenient doc.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    What is considered "good" T3/T4 ranges? Just wondering because my ranges came back "normal".

durak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    What is considered "good" T3/T4 ranges? Just wondering because my ranges came back "normal".
    Normal according to my bloodwork.

T3, TOTAL 80 - 200 ng/dl
    T4, FREE 0.9 - 1.7 ng/dl

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by durak View Post
    Normal according to my bloodwork.

T3, TOTAL 80 - 200 ng/dl
    T4, FREE 0.9 - 1.7 ng/dl

I should have my bloodwork in the mail in the next few days. I'll post mine up.

So are you saying docs should be treating normal levels, in addition to low? (Kind like how if you Test came back at 275 in a range of 250-1100, you are technically "normal", but on the low end).

durak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    I should have my bloodwork in the mail in the next few days. I'll post mine up.

So are you saying docs should be treating normal levels, in addition to low? (Kind like how if you Test came back at 275 in a range of 250-1100, you are technically "normal", but on the low end).
    yes, yes.... i should have been more clear... "low normal" is the lower part of the normal range.

here is an abstract about the relation between hypothyroidism and hypogonadism. you quickly realize they are closely related.
    http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...ournalCode=thy

and a site about hypothyroidism. While it is a little flashy, which always makes me less trusting, the person seems to have really done their homework and links to supporting information.
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

aer_vlad is offline Junior Member
    My TSH was normal, yet my T3 was very low, T4 was low normal (I can go dig up the labs if you would like?).

I'm taking Synthroid (levothyroxine), which is synthetic T4. From what I gather, the higher T4 levels provides easier convertibility to T3 (as the body requires it). There are arguments for Amour (natural T3/T4 combo), but for my situation, Synthroid has raised my T3 levels and I feel much, much better (not freezing all the time).

What does your doctor say? Because you're "low normal," s/he won't prescribe you treatment?

durak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aer_vlad View Post
    My TSH was normal, yet my T3 was very low, T4 was low normal (I can go dig up the labs if you would like?).

I'm taking Synthroid (levothyroxine), which is synthetic T4. From what I gather, the higher T4 levels provides easier convertibility to T3 (as the body requires it). There are arguments for Amour (natural T3/T4 combo), but for my situation, Synthroid has raised my T3 levels and I feel much, much better (not freezing all the time).

What does your doctor say? Because you're "low normal," s/he won't prescribe you treatment?
    My current Dr will. She is actually a opening minded shrink (for my ADD meds) that is willing to handle my HRT as well. The big issue is that the t3/t4 issue and underlying issues are not appreciated because Drs often treat blood work and do not consider the bigger picture (ie is low normal really where someone should be??).

The difference in how the t3 and t4 numbers between people is a little complex too. For instance I am low t3 and high t4; you are low t3 and low normal t4.

Thread Information