Thread: B-12 Staining

ds53 is offline Junior Member

B-12 Staining

I had started B-12 injections with my Test and was putting it in my shoulder and would notice after a couple days I would have a stain that looked like a birthmark about the size of a dime. So I thought put it in deeper with a 1 1/2 inch 23 in the quad. I ended up with a stain about the size of a can of snuff from this injection and hurt like hell also. Well I though I would do the next injection stand alone sub q in the lower belly. That got me a stain about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. Has anybody else experienced this with B-12? Any secrets? Sure does'nt look good in my muscle T's

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Does it go away over time? I found this in a medical journal:

"Occasionally I receive calls from parents concerned about a bluish or reddish discoloration under the skin and they are worried that this is a bad thing, that they have hurt their child, or that the dark spot will be permanent. The explanation for this is as follows: Methyl-B12 is a deep red color. Everyone knows that blood is red. When blood is viewed “through skin” it has a bluish tone. The shallower the angle of the needle, the more likely one is to at least see the color of the medicine. Occasionally the needle punctures a very small capillary and a tiny drop of blood extrudes into the surrounding tissue. The “blue blood” plus the “red methyl-B12” plus the child’s “individual skin tone” will produce some type of dark discoloration. It is harmless and unlikely to repeat itself for the majority of shots unless the shots are always being given at the most extreme angle, almost horizontal in nature. When this happens, most of the discoloration seen is that of the medicine and not the occasional nick of a capillary. It should be noted that this small capillary bleed occurs with the same frequency when shots are given deeper. The only difference is that you can’t see it. Therefore the old saying, “Out of sight, out of mind” definitely applies to this situation."

Yes, it went away on the shoulders in about a week. The one on my thigh and belly are still there after 2 weeks. Thanks for the info!

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds53 View Post
    I had started B-12 injections with my Test and was putting it in my shoulder and would notice after a couple days I would have a stain that looked like a birthmark about the size of a dime. So I thought put it in deeper with a 1 1/2 inch 23 in the quad. I ended up with a stain about the size of a can of snuff from this injection and hurt like hell also. Well I though I would do the next injection stand alone sub q in the lower belly. That got me a stain about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. Has anybody else experienced this with B-12? Any secrets? Sure does'nt look good in my muscle T's
    bro, i have done three IM inj's and no staining/bruising. I might be a little concerned if I were you over reactions to the substance. JMHO

Vettester is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flatscat View Post
    bro, i have done three IM inj's and no staining/bruising. I might be a little concerned if I were you over reactions to the substance. JMHO
    Agreed. It's rare, but there is chance you could be experiencing some kind of allergic reaction.

TRT2010 is offline Member
    i get b12 injections 3 times a week with nothing weird happening yet

durak is offline Member
    ask a pharmacist.

quietasamouse is offline New Member
    Sounds like a strange reaction to me... I'd get that checked out.

Every single injection has done that and been painfull as hell also. The 1 1/2" into the quad felt like I had been stabbed or shot or something. Made me want my "momma" LOL. I havent done anymore and my other injections are just fine, no bruising or pain. Its is prescription b-12 just like you see advertised. I still have a purple place on my belly that looks like I got hit by a baseball or something. Anyways, thanks for you input and I will ask the doc about it.

Vettester is offline Banned
    I've just been going with 1" in the quads. 1.5" is pretty deep man! BTW, what type of B12 are you taking? (Cyanocobalamin or Methylcobalamin) The methyl version is definitely a better grade and it is better absorbed. You might not be aware that the cyanocobalamin actually contains the cyanide molecule. It's considered not to be enough to be toxic, but still ...

Anyways, I paid real close attention to my latest injection on Friday, which was taken IM in the quad with a 25gx1" syringe, and no staining or markings of any kind.

Thread Information