Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Total test vs. Free test

Mates....
    something's been bugging me on some lab results. Are there any possible reasons why if my total test is 211, why I would have a free test of 67? Not that many andro receptors? If my total test is so low, why would my free test be at 67? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Your Free T has less to do with your Total and more to do with your SHBG so it's possible to have a high Free and low Total. Did you get your SHBG checked? Low SHBG will increase your Free T numbers.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 09-23-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Your Free T has less to do with your Total and more to do with your SHBG so it's possible to have a high Free and low Total. Did you get your SHBG checked? Low SHBG will increase your Free T numbers.
    No. we did not get that checked.

Vettester is offline Banned
    It depends on what unit of measurement is being used. Does it show ng/dl (nanogram) or pg/ml (picogram)? Unfortunately, some of these standards can make the whole process pretty confusing.

As Forrest indicated, SHBG plays a role in determining how much bio-available free "T" you have. I personally look for the % of free "T" to give me an accurate assessment of where I'm at, measured in ng/ml. If you can get your SHBG score (which is good to know anyways), and take your latest albumin score off of your metabolic panel, you can get a pretty accurate assessment of where you sit with your free testosterone by using this calculator: http://www.issam.ch/freetesto.htm

I forgot your protocol with Kaiser, what kind of program are they doing for you at the moment? Kind of concerning that your TT would be at 211 on any TRT regiment.

TR, I just revisited your other thread and got your protocol. Having to take your shots e2w's could be part of the reason why your score is dipping low. So if you had to grade Kaiser on your TRT program, what would you give them?

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    TR, I just revisited your other thread and got your protocol. Having to take your shots e2w's could be part of the reason why your score is dipping low. So if you had to grade Kaiser on your TRT program, what would you give them?
    blood results are "pre" trt. no blood work "post" trt. my doc is a neophyte. I'm lucky for two reasons: at first, he wanted to go with patches. second, he overrode the recomendation of two endo's (they said my test was fine).

So, on a scale of 1 - 10, ten is excellent, and starting off with a 5, I would
    add 2 points for not having to start with a gel or a patch
    subtract two points for not pinning EW (vs eow)
    subtract 1 point for not being proactive with HCG
    subtract 1 point for no "post" trt blood work

which gives them a 3/10 score.

the truth is, my gp doesnt even call it replacement therapy. in his mind, i'm sure he's thinking we are just adding a little test to see if it revives my libido.

remember, he thinks my "pret" test levels are normal... here they are again...
    TESTOSTERONE FREE 63.6 35.0-155.0 pg/mL
    TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 211 250-1100 ng/dL

but ya gotta love the effect it has on one's libido.... I'm kinda tired right now, knocked it out three times last night, she got off twice, me once. Feels like I'm 25 again!!!

JuiceBox12 is offline Junior Member
    Are you on an A.I.?

no. I have 5 grams of Proviron , but not using right at the moment. I also have a couple hundred tabs of Nolvex, but not taking right at the moment either. My trt "program" (if you want to call it that) is "in process".

JuiceBox12 is offline Junior Member
    Right on. Hope things work out for you. Sounds like it's been a tough road.

TR, got ya. Coincidentally, if someone had asked me to grade Kaiser, I too would have probably given them a "3". Here's the thing, if they run your BW and find your test to be 500 or 600, they will probably cut your meds down or cut them all together. They have no idea what the hell they're talking about when telling you that your Test levels are fine. Funny thing is, they wouldn't even run my free test at Kaiser in So Cal. The endo tried to impress me with saying there's no defined standard for free test, therefore the only way to measure it is with a total serum test. I guess the only thing they do consistently is to take the money every month.

BTW, the proviron will bind nicely with SHBG, allowing your free "T" to increase. Again, check your SHBG and albumin prior to running it and you can use the calculator to pin it down for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    TR, got ya. Coincidentally, if someone had asked me to grade Kaiser, I too would have probably given them a "3". Here's the thing, if they run your BW and find your test to be 500 or 600, they will probably cut your meds down or cut them all together. They have no idea what the hell they're talking about when telling you that your Test levels are fine. Funny thing is, they wouldn't even run my free test at Kaiser in So Cal. The endo tried to impress me with saying there's no defined standard for free test, therefore the only way to measure it is with a total serum test. I guess the only thing they do consistently is to take the money every month.

BTW, the proviron will bind nicely with SHBG, allowing your free "T" to increase. Again, check your SHBG and albumin prior to running it and you can use the calculator to pin it down for you.
    My thoughts exactly when I purchased the Prov. I don't have the ability of convincing my GP for additional blood work done. he just extended my 'trt' and said we may check my blood work again in three months. put I'm EOW when injecting, so I should be pretty low if they recheck right before an injection, right?
    And with the prov, since I don't have the data for the above blood work, is there a rule of thumb I'd be "safe" with? 25mg/day? 50mg/day? i really haven't started it yet, but I am thinking I would just take Xmg/day more or less ED. Should I cycle this, (or take a break?) with TRT?

Thread Information