bbtravis is offline New Member

Exclamation 19 yrs old. messed up test:estro (please help)

this is a long story fyi:

to begin, i went to the doctor to get my testosterone levels checked because i felt like i was having symptoms that indicated this.

my symptoms are:
    *low libido
    *low energy
    *low motivation
    *good amount of fat deposit in chest and sides of waist
    *shitty gains in the gym. Very slow muscle building and strength increasing

these were my test results:

LH: 5.3 mIU/mL Reference range: 1.7-8.6

FSH: 3.4 mIU/mL Reference range: 1.5-12.4

Test: 458 ng/dl No reference range

Free test: 18.4 pg/mL Reference range: Not established

Estradiol: 40.2 pg/mL Reference range: 7.6 - 42.6

Progesterone: 1.9 ng/mL Reference range: 0.2 - 1.4

Estrone: 97 pg/mL Reference range: 12 - 72

...as you can see my Test. isnt bad, but my estradiol is fairly high (higher than i would want it). and my progesterone and estrone are both off of the charts.

Here is where i need some help.

To make a long story short i had an appointment with my Dr today and i got prescribed anastrozole. My Dr actually didn't know anything about anastrozole, and i dont think she really had any idea how to help me out.

she actually had one of her nurses call up a Dr who knows about male hormones, and he told them to give me anastrozole.

the thing is my doc literally just read about the stuff while i was in the office with her, so she ended up writing me a prescription for 90 tablets of anastrozole and the prescription says i should take 1 mg every other day.

from the little bit of research i read, this is too much and it will bring my estrogen too low.

If there is anyone knowledgeable about how much i should be taking i would greatly appreciate your help.

1 mg EOD while not on a TRT Protocol without a question will crash you E2 level and you will be in an even worse place once that happens.

Most men here on 50 mg of Testosterone injected IM twice a week can be fine with no AI or maybe .25 mg twice a week.

Anastrozole is a very powerful antagonist and impacts men in varying degrees and 1 mg EOD is excessive and extreme.

Your E2 is a bit elevated and probably doesn't warrant the use of an AI where diet, exercise and some lifestyle changes can bring it down.

I'd start out very Conservatively. If you had to use the AI I do no more the .25mg twice a week and get tested in about 6 weeks to see where you are at.

Be very careful with this drug.

lacey23 is offline Junior Member
    When you say 'fat deposits', what do you mean exactly? Are you obese? 20% body fat?

There are an abundance of aromatase enzymes in fat that convert testosterone to estrogen. Once you have increased estrogens, they signal the hypothalymus that you have sufficeint testosterone (both testosterone & estrogens work on this negative feedback loop). So, the result is less total testosterone production and increased estrogens.

Arimidex has been used in studies on overweight men, and shown to make the numbers on a page better. So, it decreases estradiol, which tells your hypothalamus to make more GNRH->LH->Testosterone. So the result is less estradiol and increased testosterone. The problem though is that the men in the study did not feel improvements in their symptoms of libido, fatigue, etc... The HPTA has a funny way of correcting things, and doesn't allow you to just manipulate it this easily.

So, basically my opinion is this. 19 year olds shouldn't be messing with drugs that efffect their HPTA. Also, there has been no signs that arimidex monotherapy has any benifits on symptoms. So, it would really not be worth taking any risks with your HPTA if it isn't even shown to improve symptoms. Also, I would imagine hormones have a tendency to do weird things during puberty anyways. Be low, be high, etc...

If you are overweight then I would suggest losing fat would be where I would start, and then get bloodwork done again, and see if there is an improvement in symptoms.

clarkster is offline Junior Member
    GD, is right on the money. My Doc put me on 2 anastrozole a week and my E2 crashed big time. It is a very powerful drug and while .25mg doesn't look like much, it's extremely effective.
    GD, you mentioned 50mg. of Test injected IM twice a week, does the same hold true for injecting Sub?

im around 10% body fat

Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    GD, is right on the money. My Doc put me on 2 anastrozole a week and my E2 crashed big time. It is a very powerful drug and while .25mg doesn't look like much, it's extremely effective.
    GD, you mentioned 50mg. of Test injected IM twice a week, does the same hold true for injecting Sub?
    In theory injecting SQ has a slow release into the bloodstream thereby providing more consistent serum levels and less reliance on an AI.

I do both IM and SQ at 60 mg twice a week and I don't need an AI and kel is pretty much on the same protocol and he doesn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by bbtravis View Post
    im around 10% body fat
    Ok, well BF isn't the issue.

I would not do what the Dr is saying to do though. There's no way a Dr. should be just learning about something during the office visit, and prescribing it in this manor. There have been studies on this, and it's not effective for symptoms.

Has this been going on forever or just started? A lot of things could be producing these #'s and symptoms. The endocrine system is fairly complex. If these symptoms are a significant problem i would suggest going to a better DR.

****! okay, im gonna talk to the Dr that they called tomorrow, and see what he says. maybe i can work with this in a natural way

would there be anything that you guys could recommend if i did try this a natural way? like eat more broccoli and green vegetables? what about any supplements that would help? ive read a little about chrysin, resveratrol, and dim. are those any good and safer?

sparverius is offline Junior Member
    DIM is probably ok, as is zinc. But they're not going to have a significant effect, from my experience.

But the question is why is your estrogen and progesterone high? It's criminal for your doctor to just prescribe a drug that she doesn't understand and not look into the causes. A 19 year old guy should not have estrogen out of range. You should find a doctor who will try to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sparverius View Post
    DIM is probably ok, as is zinc. But they're not going to have a significant effect, from my experience.

But the question is why is your estrogen and progesterone high? It's criminal for your doctor to just prescribe a drug that she doesn't understand and not look into the causes. A 19 year old guy should not have estrogen out of range. You should find a doctor who will try to figure it out.
    idunno man, BPAs i guess

Quote Originally Posted by bbtravis View Post
    would there be anything that you guys could recommend if i did try this a natural way? like eat more broccoli and green vegetables? what about any supplements that would help? ive read a little about chrysin, resveratrol, and dim. are those any good and safer?
    I don't think the supplement approach is the way to go. Imo, you need to get a doc that will figure out why this is happening, and correct that instead. Vegetables or zinc or w/e will only help if you happen to be deficient in whatever vitamin or mineral that is in the foods. But, that would just be a super lucky guess if it fixed this issue more than anything.

Thread Information