Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Youthful55guy

Thread: Bloodwork. Comments appreciated

TestingMe is offline Associate Member

Bloodwork. Comments appreciated

Hi All,

Here is the most recent bloodwork I had drawn.

I am 62 years old, 5' 11" 170 klbs

I've finally started regular exercise and changed my diet for the last 2 plus months.

I see positive results already in the Lipid panel. Lowering the bad stuff about 15% and slowly increasing the HDL from 35 to 37..It's been as low as 30 and as high as 40 over the years.

I'm on a largely Mediterranean Diet, lots of salad, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, olive oil, chicken.

I could use insights and suggestions for supplements and or foods that might help continue to lower LDL and raise HDL. I do have some heart issues that motivated me to start a Cardiac Rehab program on my own as my Ejection fraction was 1% too high for insurance!

Any suggestions on what other tests I should order would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!

TESTOSTERONE TOTAL, MALE

Your Value 882 ng/dL Standard Range 300 - 720 ng/dL

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN

Your Value 50 nmol/L Standard Range 11 - 80 nmol/L

BIOAVAILABLE TESTOSTERONE

Your Value 402 ng/dL Standard Range 131 - 682 ng/dL

TESTOSTERONE, FREE

Your Value 144 pg/mL Standard Range 47 - 244 pg/mL

TESTOSTERONE FREE PERCENT

Your Value 1.6% Standard Range 1.6-2.9%

ESTRADIOL LEVEL

Your Value 19 pg/mL Standard Range 11 - 44 pg/mL

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL

Your Value 163 mg/dL Standard Range <200 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDES

Your Value 148 mg/dL Standard Range 0 - 149 mg/dL

HDL CHOLESTEROL

Your Value 37 mg/dL Standard Range >39/dL

LDL CHOLESTEROL

Your Value 96 mg/dL Standard Range <100 mg/dL

CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO

Your Value 4.4 Standard Range 0.0 - 4.9

I'm guessing the free testosterone percentage comes down as the Test result comes down a bit into normal ranges

Not a very interesting thread I admit

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Not much to comment about in the labs. They all look great. Are you on any type of TRT? If you are not, the results are great for a 62 YO male not on TRT. If you are, you might want to consider a very slightly higher dose (maybe 10% increase) to get Free T up to around the 75th percentile (~200 with your lab's normal ranges). HOWEVER, keep in mind that TRT can negatively influence lipid levels. I saw it myself when I started TRT.

You might want to consider a low dose of atorvastatin (Lipitor). I take the lowest dose (10 mg daily) and it did wonders for my lipids and LDL/HDL ratios. I've not seen any side-effects at all and have been taking it for over 3 years.
    TestingMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Youthful55guy View Post
    Not much to comment about in the labs. They all look great. Are you on any type of TRT? If you are not, the results are great for a 62 YO male not on TRT. If you are, you might want to consider a very slightly higher dose (maybe 10% increase) to get Free T up to around the 75th percentile (~200 with your lab's normal ranges). HOWEVER, keep in mind that TRT can negatively influence lipid levels. I saw it myself when I started TRT.

You might want to consider a low dose of atorvastatin (Lipitor). I take the lowest dose (10 mg daily) and it did wonders for my lipids and LDL/HDL ratios. I've not seen any side-effects at all and have been taking it for over 3 years.
    Thank you for the comments, I forgot to mention, yes I am on TRT, .3 2x per week.

I've not read or heard about TRT effecting lipids. My cardiologist does want me on a statin but I promised myself to finally start a diet and exercise program before I do that and it seems to be working pretty fast.

For sure I want to do my best with diet and exercise before I start a statin, as much out of curiosity as anything.

I've always had high Bilirubin levels my whole life...3x normal..Never a huge concern but on this last blood test the Bilirubin is 1.0..down from 2.5..I'm guessing my body is liking eating birdfood!

I started having smoothies with protein powder, almond butter, bananas and blueberries and flaxseed.

I messaged my cardiologist to order another lipid panel before I see him next month.

I will take your advice and increase the TRT a bit as you suggest as well.

Thanks again for the post!
    Last edited by TestingMe; 09-11-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Thread Information