bootkampboy is offline New Member

When to call it quits?

So I started feeling sick this past sunday but decided to go to work anyways on Monday (bailing hay at that). After work I felt worse and when I woke up tuesday morning i felt so shitty that I just stayed home, same thing wednesday. On thursday I felt slightly better and decided to lift because I HATE taking time off for any reason. After working out I was downright sick again. I had to go to work on Friday and saturday. Its now sunday again and I am still sick. I think If I had just taken it easy I might be back to normal. What I want to know is, how bad do you have to feel before you start skipping workouts? Nothing pisses me off like missing a week of working out and feeling skinny and weak, but I know if I kept up my normal routine I probably would be dead right now.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    from what you described, i would at least tke a wk off and recuperate. i miss workout when i have a slight muscle pull in my low back( i wont even push that, i find when you push your body when you are sick or hurt, you just make things worse and the ehaling process longer. listen to your body, if it is telling you "dont lift" count it as a paid vacation from the gym, enjoy a wk to yourslef, supplement heavy with vitamin c, vitamin d, ecanasia , and magnesium, gt plenty of rest and hydrate with good fluids,(ie water, juice)

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I read a study published in MD stating that working out while ill can actually help to boost immune system and fight off the bugs. It's allways worked for me. I imagine the bugs going into my system and meeting up with big pumped up steroid freak white blood cells. The bad bugs get frightened and evacuate!

interesting, one person said to take an entire week off to recuperate. Another person reccomends continuing a work-out regimine as per before the illness, I don't know who to believe.

sonar1234 is offline Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bootkampboy
    interesting, one person said to take an entire week off to recuperate. Another person reccomends continuing a work-out regimine as per before the illness, I don't know who to believe.
    If its muscle related take a layoff, i been having back pain for 5 years and i suspect that when i get back in the gym i go at it to hard then the pain comes back.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    time off is a good thing, i took me alotof trial and error and aloth of physiology and endocrine classes to understand why, before i used to think that more was better,and that i could never miss a workout , even when sick.my primary MD was the first to put some sense into me plus the majority of my instructorsand other dr's i have had through school agree. when you are sick, your body cant break down glucose the way it can when you are well, you will be using half ass energy and getting nowhee and your body will not repair the muscles like it normaly does because it is already working full speed at recuperating you from your illness, it cant do both well. if you workout, youreallyare just taking awayfrom your bodies ability to heal quicker.

Thanks that sounds like good advice

Thread Information