Thread: SO I had an MRI

440Charger is offline Junior Member

SO I had an MRI

So I had an MRI on my back since I've been having on and off problems with it being tight in the morning..

Turns out I got not one but two mild bulged disc's at l3-l4 and l4-l5 I also got one at l5-s1 but its not impinging anywhere. THe L4-L5 one also has a mild annular tear in the ligament.

I've stopped back squatting and was only front squatting for a couple months while I was waiting for the test and results. So this rules out my back squats and dead lifts for a while.

Doctor said avoid stressing the low back and maintain and stay fit. No heavy lifting or putting excessive weight on my low back.

So basically I'm looking for exercises I can substitute that would take the strain off.

My routine now on leg day was front squats, lunges, skiff leg dead lift with some calves and add and abductor work.

I think doing lumber jack squats instead of front squats to further lessen the load, walking lunges or dumbbell lunges as opposed to back lunges....
    And then I guess hamstring curls as opposed to stld for my hams for now.

Also what about dead lifts and standing military press anyone have good substitutes?

I got to talk to a phiso therapist next week my doctor wants me to do 12 weeks of treatment.

I was also wondering about doing a cycle but then I got this news.... Would cycling during rehab help or inhibit recovery? You hear about all these athletes juicing to help them recover would it help in my case?

Thanks
    Vic

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    I would just hold off on your cycle till the doc gives you the OK to start training again that's just my opinion though. BTW how did you hurt your back, how bad was the pain?

The first time I hurt it was back in 2003 deadlifting when I wasn't feeling well. Tried to lift as much as I could when not sick and my form slipped.

Was pretty bad for 10 days or so.

The latest was at jiu jitsu in Oct last year maybe? I wasn't even doing anything crazy just moving around and felt it go. Was sore for about a week, was standing all crooked. Needed some good relaxants to help me stand straight.

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 440Charger View Post
    The first time I hurt it was back in 2003 deadlifting when I wasn't feeling well. Tried to lift as much as I could when not sick and my form slipped.

Was pretty bad for 10 days or so.

The latest was at jiu jitsu in Oct last year maybe? I wasn't even doing anything crazy just moving around and felt it go. Was sore for about a week, was standing all crooked. Needed some good relaxants to help me stand straight.
    That right there sounds like me when I hurt mine I think they misdiagnosed me.

What did the diagnose u with?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    stay away form the any military press movement. try seated, keep it light. wouldnt do any dead varaitions either. just do what you can that doesnt aggravate the back.

hold off on the cycle until you are back to 100%

Would GH help doc?

Hgh and low back injury

A mild dose such as 1 to 2 IUs a day?

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    You may want to try some McKenzie exercises, google them. They are basically a series of extension exercises aimed at relieving pain/stiffness from those bulging discs and in some instances have completed retracted mild disc bulges.

Thread Information