Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Roman's log on Lower Back Problems - Results from MRI and more...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    The seated calf machine is down at the gym, so I've been using the standing version where the weight is taken by the shoulders. I can feel the disc compress with some pain. So I keep the weight low to 200 lbs and the reps high, focusing on full ROM and several sets.

Now I need to ask questions about how much weight my disc can handle. Usually pain can be your guide, but if the pain is deadened after this procedure, then maybe not the best way to determine.

BTW, procedure begins on Monday dec 8th. if there is a cancellation, she might be able to squeeze me in Friday, Sep 26.

The pain has been increasing here lately. my frequency of taking morphine has been going up too. I'm sitting here in my chair waiting for the meds to kick in before starting my day. 15mg morph and 3ea alleve.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The morphine does not work like a normal pain reliever. You need to take it regularly, not on a need to use bases. It works by building up in your system over several days or a week and then is supposed to help alleviate or dull the pain before it starts. It always takes more pain meds to chase pain than it does to head it off before it starts.

Personally morphine has never done much for me and I am also bad at taking anything on a regular basis. I tend to do it on a as needed also.

Also as I have told you and other 100s of time. Use ICE... Do it right and you will see/feel a big difference I bet. Use a good cold gel pack. The clay ones are not bad but dont get as cold as real ice or gel. The nice thing about the clay ones though are they are very flexible and since they are not as cold you can put them directly on the skin without it being to cold.

Use it for 20-30 minutes then take it off for 20 - 30 minutes. Repeat this 3x or more in a row and at least 2x a day, 3 is better.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 09-16-2014 at 12:18 AM.

This week has really been rough. back/neck sore non stop. I just took 30mg of morph, and waiting for that to kick in prior to the gym. Then after, I hate to say this, but I'm getting a fvcking bottle of wine and killing it, then off to bed. I'm ready for this week to end.

Life sucks when you are fvcking sore all the time.

When's this shit gonna stop?

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    The morphine does not work like a normal pain reliever. You need to take it regularly, not on a need to use bases. It works by building up in your system over several days or a week and then is supposed to help alleviate or dull the pain before it starts. It always takes more pain meds to chase pain than it does to head it off before it starts.

Personally morphine has never done much for me and I am also bad at taking anything on a regular basis. I tend to do it on a as needed also.

Also as I have told you and other 100s of time. Use ICE... Do it right and you will see/feel a big difference I bet. Use a good cold gel pack. The clay ones are not bad but dont get as cold as real ice or gel. The nice thing about the clay ones though are they are very flexible and since they are not as cold you can put them directly on the skin without it being to cold.

Use it for 20-30 minutes then take it off for 20 - 30 minutes. Repeat this 3x or more in a row and at least 2x a day, 3 is better.
    this is my approach with the alleve. but I'm already up to six or more per day, and have been doing it for years. and I'm not ready for a steady diet of morphine. I'm not sure what that will do to me, my thinking process, or the level of dependency it will create.

But the ice does work. If only for a brief period of time. Thanks for that.

fawk!

neck is still sore, and the headache never went away. so I wimped out and stayed home. no gym for me. but momma is bringing me a big bottle of wine for me to nurse

I don't want to make a habit of not going due to pain, as I'm always in pain, and "the excuse" path is one I'd rather not go down if at all avoidable.

icing the back now to reduce the pain, getting ready to go to the gym.............
    lovbyts likes this.

fawk!

gym day tanked.

light good mornings should have been a red flag with all the pain. then came the seated rows. 17 reps at 140lbs and pain. when I bumped the weight to 180, after 12 reps, called that one quits. rest of the night was more of the same.

so.......................?

Then you need to go even lighter. Stop hurting yourself... Yeah going light SUCKS, trust me I know. I did bench with 25lb dumbbells long enough to know and only recently have I gotten to where I can do dips without using the weighted lift. Before I hurt my shoulder I was doing 20 dips with a 45 tied to my waist.

Before you do any lifting pretend it's someone else on the forum and what advice you would give them. No do that.
    jeep187 likes this.

I hear ya. I'm sitting in my recliner with an ice pack strapped on.

but on the seated rows, my legs are stationary, and so is my lower body. I thought I could get away with just being still and upper body movement. but the act of just holding the upper still using lower back muscles was great in theory, but ill conceived apparently.

the pain isn't really trauma related, and not causing any real damage. it's just a question of how much pain am I willing to tolerate. and my ability to tolerate pain seems to be slipping. it was pretty good for many years, but knowing I have procedure coming up soon, makes me want to deal with the pain less, it seems.

it's like being on a road trip and having to take a leak. you can hold it for an hour or two, but just as you turn the corner and almost home, it seems you can barely keep from pissing yourself.
    lovbyts likes this.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    good luck with it TR

we're going to call this one another rest day. back was feeling not half bad today, and therefore, i'll be going tomorrow..........

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I hear ya. I'm sitting in my recliner with an ice pack strapped on.

but on the seated rows, my legs are stationary, and so is my lower body. I thought I could get away with just being still and upper body movement. but the act of just holding the upper still using lower back muscles was great in theory, but ill conceived apparently.

the pain isn't really trauma related, and not causing any real damage. it's just a question of how much pain am I willing to tolerate. and my ability to tolerate pain seems to be slipping. it was pretty good for many years, but knowing I have procedure coming up soon, makes me want to deal with the pain less, it seems.

it's like being on a road trip and having to take a leak. you can hold it for an hour or two, but just as you turn the corner and almost home, it seems you can barely keep from pissing yourself.

Hahaha I know what you mean. You can hold it a LONG time but for me it's once I walk into the bathroom I barely have time to unzip...

well, I'm thinking the pain is that way too. I've been dealing with it so long, that now that there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel, the pain really seems to be harder to deal with, just like the pissing metaphor

pain has been waning here lately. been off the morph for several weeks, and reduced alleve, now down to six a day. neck has been on the mend too. funny how these things come in waves..........

pain has been waning here lately. been off the morph for several weeks, and reduced alleve, now down to six a day. neck has been on the mend too. funny how these things come in waves..........
    Yeah it is funny, not really. Sometimes with my back I can go weeks or months without any meds and then back to the old grind of trying to chase the aches and pains.

Ive never had much luck with Alleve.

jeep187 is offline Associate Member
    Good luck. I hope everything works out for the best.

My doc called me today to see if I have any questions. I asked about a happy pill during the procedure. she said no need, there will be an anesthesiologist there giving me pain meds through an IV, "I'll be plenty happy". Recovery time is variable and I could be back to work as early as the next day. She asked if I was looking forward to it, and I said I was, anxious to go through with this.

See, here is the other thing. I've never been able to go over 250lbs without a lot of pain, too much pain. So I'm curious to see if once this is done, I'd like to see how much weight I can carry. I know I can hit 250 probably by this time next year. And then after that.........?

I can definitely say my back feels worse post leg day. I've been modifying my approach to leg press, which is driving strength and some gains, but also driving more pain.

Dec 8th can't come soon enough............

Still getting worse............

.............I'm noticing it's hard to maintain focus and intensity when your back hurts like hell.

I was repping 230 on the seated rows, and it's just getting tougher. The urge is to drop the weight. Trying to resist.

..........Dec 8 is coming fast. Can hardly wait.
    jeep187 likes this.

I really have to laugh. the closer I get to dec 8, the more weenie wining I seem to be doing. true, the pain is there, and seems to be getting worse, but I'm thinking my ability to tolerate the pain is waning the closer I get.

and I seem to be thinking about it more.....

I think thats why I never had any of my procedures put out that far. I usually have them done within a week of deciding I need it or less so I dont have time to think about it.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 11-29-2014 at 11:52 PM.

I think thats why I never had any of my procedures put out that far. I usually have them done within a week of deciding I need it or less.
    well, I could have had it done a month earlier, but this cute skinny (with a helluva bedside manner) with an eastern European accent doc that did my prelim procedure wasnt' available til the 8th. there is a risk with this procedure, and it can be bad, but she and I hit it off, and I trust her to do a good job.

well, I could have had it done a month earlier, but this cute skinny (with a helluva bedside manner) with an eastern European accent doc that did my prelim procedure wasnt' available til the 8th. there is a risk with this procedure, and it can be bad, but she and I hit it off, and I trust her to do a good job.
    The question is, a good job at what?

The question is, a good job at what?
    I don't know. maybe I should call her up for a coffee and find out?
    lovbyts likes this.

Maybe a cocktail would be better.

Maybe a cocktail would be better.
    The temptation is clearly there. If I were not such an upstanding citizen, and all around decent guy...........

.........ok, that's probably a little thick =)

oh, and I got my call today...

...no more NSAIDS.

Alleve..... bad!
    Morphine.... good!

who would have thought?

mind = blown

so I'm off the nsaids, thinking i'll really be suffering. But damn if after warm up at the gym, I performed pretty good. 5 x 240 on the seated rows final set, (without all the friggin upper body movement).

who the frick knows. this back pain is pretty unreliable. when you really expect it to kick in, it's pretty quiet.

oh, and I got my call today...

...no more NSAIDS.

Alleve..... bad!
    Morphine.... good!

who would have thought?
    Because Alieve/NSAIDS will thin your blood and even though they are not doing surgery on you they dont want to take a chance of bleeding probably.

Because Alieve/NSAIDS will thin your blood and even though they are not doing surgery on you they dont want to take a chance of bleeding probably.
    I knew the "less sticky" part that impacts clotting, the point I was trying to make is that in this scenario, morphine is the good guy and NSAIDS is the bad guy.

alrighty then.....

..........this has been an interesting week without the nsaids. very light on the morph, since I'm finding out that a few days in a row and it does impact mental function, and a low grade hangover feeling.

Basic movement has been a challenge. once I get verticle, I'm ok. but getting there is rough. and I have a desk job, so that means I transition from sitting to standing often.

so it's Zulu minus 48hours and counting..........

I skipped the gym yesterday. And I'm not sure about today

I found out what happens if you take 120 mg of morph.....

...........you get fuzzy and fall asleep in your recliner.

But the pain does go away somewhat

120 mg??? Are you sure? Mine are only 15 mg. I would need to take 8 of them.

mine were 30 mg so only 4....

Time For Results - Lower back procure

OK mates.

Ol' Roman had his procedure this morning. And the results are promising so far. After the procedure, right away, maybe a 40% improvement. Mostly with sharp pain and stiffness. Encouraging.

Went to breakfast with my pops.

Came home, took 1 morph and two alleve, then took a 2 hour nap

woke up, and I'd say about 70% improvement in both sharp pain and stiffness. Time to go from sitting to verticle is reduced 50% and the dull ache is reduced 50%.

I'll check in tomorrow sometime for another update.

But first, a synopsis....
    lovbyts likes this.

Medial nerve neurolysis utilizing rf

I show up at 6:30am and go through their check in procedure, where they ask you your name height, weight, everytime somebody new stops by to check in. All three nurses. Anesthesiologist, attending physician, janitor, panhandler across the street.......

IV for anti-nausea and anti-acid reflux. then after a while, a couple ounces of gin, hold the olive. Except as wonderful as they say I was going to feel, I didnt' feel it. I was pretty relaxed to begin with, and didn't notice any difference. They wheel me into the OP room, and then face down, more pain killer, then six needles driven down over a 45 minutes period, killing nerves. Soon, I was done, and back in recovery. The relief was not so much at first. But came home, took some pain meds, and a two hour nap. Woke up feeling much improved.

And that's about it. Only on the left side so far. if discomfort continues, we can continue on the right side and kill more nerves.

BTW, nerves grow back at about 1" a year, so this is a maybe a years' worth of relief.

There's also acupuncture to explore.

More later....

So did they put you out completely or just numb to the world?

So did they put you out completely or just numb to the world?
    the passage of time seemed faster than expected. but I was coherent and was ably to reply to all their questions.

they kept asking me if I could feel a shooting pain down my leg, probably indicating hitting the sciatic nerve and therefore going too far. most of the time I was ok and said so. but this one time they did hit it and yes, I could feel the pain all the way down to the pad below my left pad/palm of my foot, by the small toe area. so they backed it off a bit and I was fine once again. the rest was uneventful, and them moment they were through, they helped roll me over, sunny side up, and off I went to recovery. after they unhooked the tubes and wires, I was ready to sit up. told them I had to use the restroom, was disoriented slightly for a brief second, took a left instead of a right to the restroom and after that, I was fine. pops drove me to denny's and had a big breakfast. came home, took one morphine and two alleve and slept for two hours in the recliner. woke up feeling fine and clear. woke up this morning, and I didn't bother to take any pain meds. want to see the full affects before I go masking anything with meds. fully plan on going to the gym tonight without meds tonight either. I may take meds next morning to see how it feels.

will post more later

took 2 alleve this am. back is kind of crickety.

worse comes to worse, I can always have the right side done. only had the left side, so still room for improvement.

but I DIDN'T go to the gym last night. by the time I got home... too late.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information