Results 1 to 26 of 26
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 2 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Cylon357
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By lovbyts

Thread: Pinched C6/C7?

  1. #1
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910

    Pinched C6/C7?

    OK it seems I cant get a break.

    A little over 2 months ago my neck cramped up a few hours after laying upside down looking up under my dash of my car doing some wiring. It started out as just a little bit of a strain but within a couple of hours it was the worse neck cramp I have ever had.

    I did the usual ice, a LOT of ice for the next couple of days as well as a couple extra pain killers and anti inflammatory that did pretty much nothing.

    Long story short it has not gone away or gotten a lot better. Only think that helped was 3 rounds of prednisone and a lot of ice.

    Ive used an inflatable neck brace to try to stretch the neck. A solid neck brace to stabilize it. Pressure point device, massage chair, ultrasonic massage device, muscle simulators, different types of anti inflammatory creams, chiropractor 1 or 2x a week and so far nothing is really working,

    Ive had 2 xrays that show C6 is pinched and both chiropractors said it looks like its been that way for a while. Probably one of my MANY ATV, skiing or other sport activity accidents. Im not sure if the PT for my shoulder replacement has somehow activated this but its getting old fast. If its not one thing its another.

    Any suggestions? What have I forgotten to try?

  2. #2
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    OK it seems I cant get a break.

    A little over 2 months ago my neck cramped up a few hours after laying upside down looking up under my dash of my car doing some wiring. It started out as just a little bit of a strain but within a couple of hours it was the worse neck cramp I have ever had.

    I did the usual ice, a LOT of ice for the next couple of days as well as a couple extra pain killers and anti inflammatory that did pretty much nothing.

    Long story short it has not gone away or gotten a lot better. Only think that helped was 3 rounds of prednisone and a lot of ice.

    Ive used an inflatable neck brace to try to stretch the neck. A solid neck brace to stabilize it. Pressure point device, massage chair, ultrasonic massage device, muscle simulators, different types of anti inflammatory creams, chiropractor 1 or 2x a week and so far nothing is really working,

    Ive had 2 xrays that show C6 is pinched and both chiropractors said it looks like its been that way for a while. Probably one of my MANY ATV, skiing or other sport activity accidents. Im not sure if the PT for my shoulder replacement has somehow activated this but its getting old fast. If its not one thing its another.

    Any suggestions? What have I forgotten to try?
    Don't ignore it, IMHO. Personally, I would request a nerve conduction study pretty soon and continue to keep your neck loose. Google "nerve glides" or "nerve flossing" and do the ones relevant to C-6.

    The inflatable neck collar is good if it helps. A little deep tissue work (within reason) may be beneficial.

    Pay particular attention to any loss of strength in your biceps and wrist or any strange sensations in your arm like tingling in your arm, numb feelings, etc.

    I had continuing loss of strength issues in the left biceps and left deltoid. Went through PT twice while waiting to get scheduled for surgery but COVID had everything locked down. Finally, left arm became basically useless and was able to finally get scheduled for surgery. Had a good bit of C- spine surgery.

    I'm positive if I could've gotten surgery done sooner, the damage wouldn't have been as severe, so continue to be proactive...PT, get that NCV study, nerve glides, etc.

    At some point, you may need to discuss this with a neurosurgeon if things don't improve. Nothing wrong with chiropractors, I see one myself at times, but they have limits as to what they can do.
    956Vette likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  3. #3
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Yeah I am scheduling the deep tissue massage Tuesday. I found out my insurance pays for 30 a year.

    No Im not ignoring it in any way and will look into the Nerve conduction study. I remember having one done on my arm before and it was probably from the same type of issue but at the time I didnt realize it was neck related. Probably what fixed it was going to Thailand/Philippines and getting massage every day, sometimes 2x a day for $5 for 1+ hr. lol

    I didnt even remember having an issue like this before or anything very bad but after doing some searching on the forum yesterday I see I had almost the same thing happen in 2011.

    My entire left arm with go numb in 2 seconds if I move my head wrong or look up above 90 deg. It only takes a few seconds for it to go back to normal if I look down and stretch my neck as well. Ive never had it last this long and its annoying besides painful.

    Oh yeah I also have one of those hard foam rollers for the back and neck and my neck traction sling for the door should arrive tomorrow. I swear I have more rehab supplies than most pharmacies. lol

    I wish I had gotten my back surgery several years earlier also. I also wish he had not retired. I would trust him with my neck as well since he did such a good job with my back. Hopefully it wont come to that though. Im going to keep trying aggressive rehab with traction to take pressure of the C6/C7 and hopefully it will heal with time. Hopefully adding a little HGH will speed up the recovery.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 09-05-2021 at 10:54 PM.

  4. #4
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,209
    Sounds like you have a good plan going. If it's painful that would definitely motivate me to get a Neuro involved/ nerve conduction system scheduled.

    IDK, maybe read up on cervical radiculopathy for some treatment options or things to try on your own. The nerve glides/nerve flossing I mentioned gave me some relief, it just wasn't enough to fix what I had going on.

    Same here on the GH. Have enough Serostim on hand to run ~ 2 iu/ day for the next year, which is plenty for me.

    Keep us in the loop!
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-06-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    lovbyts likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  5. #5
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan going. If it's painful that would definitely motivate me to get a Neuro involved/ nerve conduction system scheduled.

    IDK, maybe read up on cervical radiculopathy for some treatment options or things to try on your own. The nerve glides/nerve flossing I mentioned gave me some relief, it just wasn't enough to fix what I had going on.

    Same here on the GH. Have enough Serostim on hand to run ~ 2 iu/ day for the next year, which is plenty for me.

    Keep us in the loop!
    Ill tell you one thing Im NOT doing. Cervical epidural steroid injection. I have had several on my lower back. First 3 weren't bad but defiantly not pleasant. The next 2 I got several years later were very painful. The next 2 I got I made them stop 1/2 through the 2nd one or I would have gotten off the table and stuck them with the needle. I swore no more after that.

    Same here with the GH FINALLY. Cant tell you how many times trying to get it went to sh*t and wasted $$$$ At least the pregnancy test came up negative so I know what it's not. lol
    almostgone likes this.

  6. #6
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    So far the neck traction device has worked better than anything else by far. 1st day I noticed a difference and 2nd and 3rd day more of a difference. Its not gone by any means but at least now I see light at the end of the tunnel and its not the bright ceiling lights of an operating room.

    Pinched C6/C7?-61rutol0vol._ac_sl1000_.jpg
    almostgone likes this.

  7. #7
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    I wish I could say Im cured or that I can tell a difference day by day but I cant. I can say Im still noticing a difference week by week and Ive been using the traction device almost every day. At least its not getting worse or cramping up like it was.

  8. #8
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now Changed Man
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20,273
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    So far the neck traction device has worked better than anything else by far. 1st day I noticed a difference and 2nd and 3rd day more of a difference. Its not gone by any means but at least now I see light at the end of the tunnel and its not the bright ceiling lights of an operating room.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61RUToL0vOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	181337
    My ex used to wear lingerie like that
    Test Monsterone and lovbyts like this.

  9. #9
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now Changed Man
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20,273
    I had a pinched C5 C6 and it caused me more pain than was imaginable but it finally went away when it acts up though it will paralyze part of my arm for weeks at a time
    lovbyts likes this.

  10. #10
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    My ex used to wear lingerie like that
    My current has a bit of lingerie like that also but I prefer her mini mouse outfit. lol
    Obs likes this.

  11. #11
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now Changed Man
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20,273
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    My current has a bit of lingerie like that also but I prefer her mini mouse outfit. lol
    Lol thats awesome!

  12. #12
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I wish I could say Im cured or that I can tell a difference day by day but I cant. I can say Im still noticing a difference week by week and Ive been using the traction device almost every day. At least its not getting worse or cramping up like it was.
    Just keep an eye on it. If improvement stops, I'd head to the neurosurgeon since you've tried other treatment modalities. You don't want to end up in the position I'm in looking at a year's recovery with no guarantee the strength will come back.

    Noticing an improvement week by week is pretty dang good. I have my fingers crossed it continues!
    Obs and lovbyts like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  13. #13
    Obs's Avatar
    Obs
    Obs is online now Changed Man
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20,273
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Just keep an eye on it. If improvement stops, I'd head to the neurosurgeon since you've tried other treatment modalities. You don't want to end up in the position I'm in looking at a year's recovery with no guarantee the strength will come back.

    Noticing an improvement week by week is pretty dang good. I have my fingers crossed it continues!
    You will come back stronger than ever I promise
    almostgone and lovbyts like this.

  14. #14
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Just keep an eye on it. If improvement stops, I'd head to the neurosurgeon since you've tried other treatment modalities. You don't want to end up in the position I'm in looking at a year's recovery with no guarantee the strength will come back.

    Noticing an improvement week by week is pretty dang good. I have my fingers crossed it continues!
    Ive been there to many times to count in the past where I was told I would not be able to do this or that again. Those are fighting words and just make you work that much harder. I had to decide if I was going to be an confined to a wheelchair or walker for the rest of my light or fight my way back. That was 15+ years ago. Ive also had 2 failed arthroscopic surgeries to my left shoulder and 1 failed total shoulder replacement over the last 8 years. Finally got it right last March and still recovering but not giving up. I dont expect to get back to where I was in my 20 or even 40s but I plan on being better than I was in most of my 50s.
    almostgone likes this.

  15. #15
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,357
    this is inspiring for myself as I am about a decade away from 50 and I want to continue to stay healthy.

  16. #16
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    this is inspiring for myself as I am about a decade away from 50 and I want to continue to stay healthy.
    Dont blink, 40 to 50 goes fast and 50 to 60 takes about 1/2 as long. lol Yeah I laugh but its true.

  17. #17
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Neck is about 95% better so in other words, back to normal. That being said it means something else has to go wrong. Yup, time for my right shoulder replacement.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

  18. #18
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Little update. Some days are better than others. Surprisingly things like a massage seem to make it flair up for a couple of days but overall it still feels about 95% better than where it started. Its annoying it tends to snap/pop a lot when I turn my head mostly to the right but not as much as it did a few weeks ago.

    Im hoping after my full shoulder replacement on Dec 30th it will sort of fix the neck issue also since its mostly muscle/strain related now and not so much a pinched nerve. No more arm tingling or numbness like before.
    Cylon357 likes this.

  19. #19
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    AKA "Nice Guy Cy"
    Posts
    1,691
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Little update. Some days are better than others. Surprisingly things like a massage seem to make it flair up for a couple of days but overall it still feels about 95% better than where it started. Its annoying it tends to snap/pop a lot when I turn my head mostly to the right but not as much as it did a few weeks ago.

    Im hoping after my full shoulder replacement on Dec 30th it will sort of fix the neck issue also since its mostly muscle/strain related now and not so much a pinched nerve. No more arm tingling or numbness like before.
    Man, that's good to hear!

    I can't lie, I get a little woozy when I read the word "surgery" especially when it includes the word "replacement" but it sounds like you are gtg.
    lovbyts likes this.

  20. #20
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Man, that's good to hear!

    I can't lie, I get a little woozy when I read the word "surgery" especially when it includes the word "replacement" but it sounds like you are gtg.
    Honestly the word surgery doesn't even faze me anymore but it should. I sort of look forward to it becasue it means I will get enough pain meds or blocker to have no pain for at least 1 day and I will get some good rest. Its hard to remember what its like to go through a day not in pain sometimes.

    I just hope after the replacement I can start to build some muscle again and get somewhat back in shape.
    Cylon357 likes this.

  21. #21
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Its definitely still there but still SLOWLY getting better. I fell like it is slowly self fusing again like it did before but Im not loosing as much of my ROM as I did last time.

    Cant believe I actually managed to tolerate it for over a year as bad as it was. I know most people would not tolerate it will even how it is now but its a huge improvement compared to a little over a year ago.

  22. #22
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Little update,
    Its been over a year since I started this thread and it hasnt gotten any better over the last 6 months or so. I have a doctors appointment on Oct 31 with a specialist. Cant wait. PLEASE no more surgeries... Lets keep it at an even 20.

  23. #23
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Little update,
    Its been over a year since I started this thread and it hasnt gotten any better over the last 6 months or so. I have a doctors appointment on Oct 31 with a specialist. Cant wait. PLEASE no more surgeries... Lets keep it at an even 20.
    Best wishes, man! What type of Dr are you going to see? Ortho or neuro? I may be wrong but I think I would be opting for a Neuro.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  24. #24
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    I didnt even look him up until now. I just figured he was a Neuro but No, he is a Ortho. Ill have to give my doctor a call or at least see him and have him refer me to a Neuro.
    Thanks for making me think.
    almostgone likes this.

  25. #25
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I didnt even look him up until now. I just figured he was a Neuro but No, he is a Ortho. Ill have to give my doctor a call or at least see him and have him refer me to a Neuro.
    Thanks for making me think.
    Keep us in the loop man. Got my fingers crossed that it can be a non-invasive/minimally invasive solution.
    lovbyts likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  26. #26
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,910
    Finally got in to see the new doctor. He is only a General orthopedics for spinal disorders. Same basic results as my other 3 xrays, C6 is pinched but he doesn't think its from an old injury, he thinks its from degenerate bone disease and the nerve is being pinched. "Cervical disc disorder at C5-C6 level with radiculopathy"

    Scheduling for an MRI and then will discuss non surgical options. Dont really want to do surgery # 21 anytime soon. Dont really want to do epidural steroid injections either. Wasnt very fun the last few times.

    Im still going to see about fining a neurologist for a 2nd opinion on what can be done.
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •