Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By because_science
  • 1 Post By saymass003
  • 1 Post By saymass003
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat

Thread: This gal's first cycle --- Var + Powerlifting :)

because_science is offline Female Member

This gal's first cycle --- Var + Powerlifting :)

Hey guys! I've noticed a lot of encouragement for females to post their logs since there aren't a ton on the site. I've decided to share mine to contribute aaand also to hopefully gain feedback and insight along the way since this is my first cycle and I'm still in the dark about what TO pair with PEDs and what NOT to do/take with PEDs.
    Also, my cycle is a bit different since I'm not in contest prep or aspiring to do a figure or physique competition. I'm a powerlifter and I'm hoping to gain strength before my meet in a couple months while staying lean.

So, stats:
    Early 20's --- female

5'8 --- 129-130# average weight

Running:
    10mg var for 8 weeks

Current lifts:
    Squat - 190# raw; 205# with wraps
    Bench - 110# paused; 115# touch and go
    Deadlift - 243#

Macro goals (maintenance currently):
    190c/72f/147p

I'm on day three of the cycle and only really decided today to do a log, so let's catch up.

Day 1:
    Work up to heavy squat single at 185#
    Squats - 5 (sets) x 4 (reps) @150#
    Tempo bench - 5 x 8 @75#
    Close-stance front squats (volume)
    Leg press
    Hamstring Curls
    Goblet Squats

Macros:
    144c/62f/133p

++ my cardio really only comes from walking around campus. I'm a student and the university is huuuge, plus full-time classes means often having classes on opposite sides of campus. I walk 3-5 miles a day and try to make it very brisk. Ain't nobody got time for lazy walking when there's studying to do!

Day 2:
    Bench against 100lbs. band tension 5x5 --- bar + bands, bar + bands + 2.5# on each side
    THEN bar + bands + 5 on each side after for paused singles, bar + bands + 5# & 2.5# on each side --- 160# at the top end (currently on an overloading, conjugate style programming courtest of my coach, haha)
    Close grip bench - 5 x 4 @90#
    Military press
    Incline dumbbell press
    Neutral grip dumbbell bench

Macros:
    144c/60f/137p

Day 3 (Today!):
    Nadda, rest day. I have a paper to write!

Macros:
    Tbe

So far, the only thing I've noticed is that it's harder to sleep and I'm ALWAYS thirsty, haha. I know it's super early, so we'll see. So far, ZERO water retention and I actually feel more focused throughout the day, which is awesome.
    saymass003 likes this.

saymass003 is offline Female Member
    I just want to say, it's awesome to see another female powerlifter on here! I saw that you said your meet is a couple months away, you plan on running your var up to the meet? I am less than 2 weeks out from my meet. I am running a 10 week cycle with week 10 being meet week.
    because_science likes this.

Awesome! Definitely rad meeting another female powerlifter on here. I do indeed! My last dose will be a couple days after the meet. So exciting about your meet --- how long have you been competing?

This is my first meet, but I have been training for a while. I laughed at what you said about cardio. I am a student too, and I consider walking to my classes my cardio. What weight class do you compete in?

Quote Originally Posted by saymass003 View Post
    This is my first meet, but I have been training for a while. I laughed at what you said about cardio. I am a student too, and I consider walking to my classes my cardio. What weight class do you compete in?
    Haha, class cardio is a pretty legit form of cardio if you ask me; it even includes swift and crafty footwork to avoid errant cyclists or skateboarders, too!
    Oh, that's so awesome! My last meet was my first meet and it was amazing...nerve-wracking, sure, but nothing compares to completing it. I compete in the 132# class. How about you?

Day 4
    -----------

Hypertrophy + Volume Day
    Bench press 5x8 @ 80#
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Machine row
    Dumbell lateral raises ss with front plate raises
    Bicep curls ss with tricep rope push downs
    Farmer carries with 45# plates

Macros:
    148c/68f/135p

Can't complain so far. Had trouble falling asleep again last night, though. Always thirsty and always feeling weirdly hungry, but halfway through eating my appetite goes "nope!" and my stomach feels full, though I continue eating to get the fuel in.
    Last edited by because_science; 04-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.

52kg(114). I'm nervous, but excited. I guess I'm just hoping everything goes according to plan. We tested openers this week and if things go as planned I should break a few sub-masters state records... we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by because_science View Post
    Haha, class cardio is a pretty legit form of cardio if you ask me; it even includes swift and crafty footwork to avoid errant cyclists or skateboarders, too!
    Oh, that's so awesome! My last meet was my first meet and it was amazing...nerve-wracking, sure, but nothing compares to completing it. I compete in the 132# class. How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by because_science View Post
    Day 4
    -----------

Hypertrophy + Volume Day
    Bench press 5x8 @ 80#
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Machine row
    Dumbell lateral raises ss with front plate raises
    Bicep curls ss with tricep rope push downs
    Farmer carries with 45# plates

Macros:
    TBE

Can't complain so far. Had trouble falling asleep again last night, though. Always thirsty and always feeling weirdly hungry, but halfway through eating my appetite goes "nope!" and my stomach feels full, though I continue eating to get the fuel in.
    I never get any sleep on cycle. I was running HGH up until 2 weeks ago and still didn't get any sleep. Just plan on not sleeping much throughout your cycle. LOL

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Subbed!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Subbed!
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by saymass003 View Post
    I never get any sleep on cycle. I was running HGH up until 2 weeks ago and still didn't get any sleep. Just plan on not sleeping much throughout your cycle. LOL
    I totally understand being nervous. I was extremely nervous my first meet and even wondered to myself WHY I signed up a couple times and considered playing sick day-of as a cop-out. My nerves were just through the roof, but I'm SO glad I went through with it. Once you first step on the platform, the adrenaline takes over and honestly, I didn't notice ANYONE in the crowd; I only noticed the judge and the cues he was giving. It was a huge meet, too, and all of it was just sort of blocked out. You'll do great. Also, keep me posted on the records --- that's amazing!

Sigh, I was afraid of the sleep issue, haha! At least I pretty much always seem to feel full of energy this weekdespite the lack of sleep. So bizarre.

Day 5
    -----------

Overload squat day (band tension help out of the bottom + loose knee wraps)
    Overload squats 5x2 --- worked up to a double at 230#
    Dumbbell rows
    Close grip lat pulldowns
    Straight arm pulldowns
    Cable pull-through's

Macros:
    142c/63f/145p

Updates: Nothing much to report, haha. It's still too early really.
    Last edited by because_science; 04-15-2016 at 07:35 PM.

AKD_FitChick is offline Female Member
    This is my first cycle as well. I am not a power lifter, but I am way impressed with what you have so far. I am totally going to follow you

Thread Information