Maxseven is offline New Member

New guy...any advice?

Hey everyone, first post here, but I have been going over the site for several months now trying to see how things work. It seems like there is a lot of great advice and knowledge in the forum, and I could use some of that. I am 25, I have been lifting since 17, I fell off for a few years, and I have been going hard for about a year now. I am interested in doing a cycle, I am thinking another 6 months of hard lifting, a better diet, and as much knowledge as I can gain from you guys, and I should be ready. I never cycled before, so I know nothing except some lingo, and what I have read over the last few months. I would like to start with something that has as little side effects as possible, and I would like something that I can keep as much of my gains as possible. Here are some pics to see if I have a decent base to go off of, and again, any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New guy...any advice?-photo-64.jpg   New guy...any advice?-photo-65.jpg   New guy...any advice?-photo-66.jpg   New guy...any advice?-photo-67.jpg   New guy...any advice?-photo-68.jpg  

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Well sounds like you got the right mind set with studying before jumping on. Thats good.

Start reading the stickies in the Steroid Q+A forum, PCT forum, Diet Forum, etc. and maybe once you get an idea of a good diet post it in the diet section in the next week or so and we'll help you tweak it.

This can really make a difference if you dial in the diet

What are your goals, bodybuilding, just wanna look better, are you looking to be critiqued?

How are the legs??

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Well sounds like you got the right mind set with studying before jumping on. Thats good.

Start reading the stickies in the Steroid Q+A forum, PCT forum, Diet Forum, etc. and maybe once you get an idea of a good diet post it in the diet section in the next week or so and we'll help you tweak it.

What are your goals, bodybuilding, just wanna look better, are you looking to be critiqued?

How are the legs??
    couldn't agree more

How are the legs??
    I need to be critiqued. My legs are naturally decent in size, but I have neglected them in the past. I have been training them much harder over the last 6 months, and it has helped in all other areas, strength wise. My diet has always been very healthy, but not geared towards body building. As for goals, I am not sure if body building is in the future for me or not. Right now I am mostly focused on putting on 10 - 15 lbs of solid muscle, keeping a healthy lifestyle, and keeping in the gym.

I am on my way to check out all the stickies you noted. Thankyou!!

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey man welcome to the board.

It looks like you have a very nice base to go from.

Like reed stated, just continue to read up on everything, and if you plan on making a 15 pound gain in muscle you don't need juice to do it, just channel in on your diet ect.

I'd suggest going over to the diet forum and posting up your daily intake of food... There's tons of people that know what's going that would be more than happy to help you get it tuned in.

How about posting up your workout and cardio schedule?

Good luck in whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxseven View Post
    I need to be critiqued. My legs are naturally decent in size, but I have neglected them in the past. I have been training them much harder over the last 6 months, and it has helped in all other areas, strength wise. My diet has always been very healthy, but not geared towards body building. As for goals, I am not sure if body building is in the future for me or not. Right now I am mostly focused on putting on 10 - 15 lbs of solid muscle, keeping a healthy lifestyle, and keeping in the gym.

I am on my way to check out all the stickies you noted. Thankyou!!
    Well the one thing that stands out is your chest and back.
    You have good arms but the other two I believe you could use more work on

I'd suggest to utilize both incline and decline movements for your chest, focus in on working the MUSCLE not moving the weight so if that means dropping the weight down in order to get a matter ROM then do so even if its gotta hurt the old ego

With the back I'd suggest more deadlifts and rowing, again focus in on the form especially when rowing. Let the weight stretch you out, and then when you pull in towards you pause for just a split second in full contraction as this will allow you to realize that you are working your back and not having forearms and/or biceps come into the movement. Also for lat width throw in some weighted wide grip pullups as the lat pulldowns should be secondary to this and should NOT be a substitute for pullups and get that stretch going. Barbell rows, dumbbell rows etc.

Also another thing that could use some work is those delts. Military press, dumbbell press, dumbbell laterals, bent over dumbbell laterals for the rear delts

YOu gotta get those legs up to par. Squats, leg press, hack squats heavy compound movements for mass on the quads. Hamstrings as well, Stiff legged dead lifts should be a staple and also leg curls whether they are seated or laying down. Look into a good solid leg routine as this will provide you w/ move all around strength and size.

Seems you want to have a bodybuilder type physique. Start watching videos on youtube on and reading books on different styles of training. There is a lot more to it then you may realize besides just going to the gym and doing some exercises and some reps.

In order to progress you must be willing to learn more about even the most basic principles of training and dieting. It IS a lifestyle and the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

Good luck
    Last edited by Reed; 07-29-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Well the one thing that stands out is your chest and back.
    You have good arms but the other two I believe you could use more work on

I'd suggest to utilize both incline and decline movements for your chest, focus in on working the MUSCLE not moving the weight so if that means dropping the weight down in order to get a matter ROM then do so even if its gotta hurt the old ego

With the back I'd suggest more deadlifts and rowing, again focus in on the form especially when rowing. Let the weight stretch you out, and then when you pull in towards you pause for just a split second in full contraction as this will allow you to realize that you are working your back and not having forearms and/or biceps come into the movement. Also for lat width throw in some weighted wide grip pullups as the lat pulldowns should be secondary to this and should NOT be a substitute for pullups and get that stretch going. Barbell rows, dumbbell rows etc.

Also another thing that could use some work is those delts. Military press, dumbbell press, dumbbell laterals, bent over dumbbell laterals for the rear delts

YOu gotta get those legs up to par. Squats, leg press, hack squats heavy compound movements for mass on the quads. Hamstrings as well, Stiff legged dead lifts should be a staple and also leg curls whether they are seated or laying down. Look into a good solid leg routine as this will provide you w/ move all around strength and size.

Seems you want to have a bodybuilder type physique. Start watching videos on youtube on and reading books on different styles of training. There is a lot more to it then you may realize besides just going to the gym and doing some exercises and some reps.

In order to progress you must be willing to learn more about even the most basic principles of training and dieting. It IS a lifestyle and the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

Good luck
    Thank you for the ideas Reed! After taking a look at your ideas, it might be a little longer than I thought before I begin a cycle. I think that after reading the comments above, I have a lot more to gain through hard work and diet before I think about a cycle. I'll be sure to keep up with the threads in here, and hopefully I'll gain the knowledge I need! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxseven View Post
    Thank you for the ideas Reed! After taking a look at your ideas, it might be a little longer than I thought before I begin a cycle. I think that after reading the comments above, I have a lot more to gain through hard work and diet before I think about a cycle. I'll be sure to keep up with the threads in here, and hopefully I'll gain the knowledge I need! Thanks again!
    Hey no problem I think its good we all get critiqued once in a while.

I know for one I am no where near were I wanna be and need ideas and or advice from my peers. Hell even pro athletes do with nutritionist and trainers.

Sounds like you have a sound mind with the acceptance of the critique and knowing that you could push your self further. That is great.

Maybe keep a workout log here or at home if you don't already do so. So each week you can refer back and make either improvements on reps and/or weight.

Once again good luck

Undercover is offline Associate Member
    Looking good, man. I'd take some time improving my workout and diet plan before starting a cycle. I'm lacking in the chest area as well and have been ignoring legs for 3 months now (due to an injury). I want to wait to see some real natural gains in those areas (strength and size) before starting my first cycle. Otherwise, you won't get the full benefit of your gear.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome to AR.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    wow, a new member with his head on his shoulders! im impressed!

WHEN you are ready for a cycle, i'd recommend just a test only cycle. nothing too nuts.

you dont wanna slam in 3 compounds, and then have problems - because then it becomes hard to figure out which of the 3 is the issue.

at least it looks like you have a solid foundation to build from. so many that come on here want a quick fix to compensate for their lack of proper training/knowledge/diet.

keep at it, and best of luck!

Thread Information