lifeforce0019 is offline Associate Member

Greetings from Southern California!

I am a new member who recently joined this site hoping to learn as much as possible about the best way to treat my low testosterone levels . I am a 54 year old guy, 6 feet one inch tall, 218 pounds, and ~ 18% body fat. After going through a painful divorce when I was 40 and having "let myself go", thanks to encouragment from a colleague I joined a gym and began working our religously, initially doing aerobic stuff and gradually adding strength training. After several months of hard work my colleague noted that the "real" lifeforce was emerging! :-) Well needless to say the "positive re-inforcement" was strong incentive to continue to evolve my workouts. At 45 I was in the best shape of my life! However, over the past year or two I have begun to lose interest in working out. My libido has crashed and I have a hard time dragging myself to the gym. I came to realize that I was exhibiting all the classic signs of hypogonadism, low testosterone , andropause , or whatever you want to call it!

I saw an ad for bioidentical hormone therapy and went to see a nurse practitioner who suggested I get bloodwork done. Sure enough, my total and free testosterone were in the low range of normal and she prescribed testosterone cream from a compounding pharmacy in Arizona.

I am applying 1.5 grams per day at 150 mg testoterone per gram.

Should this be a sufficient daily dose after 3 months to increase my energy level, libido, and workout intensity / desire? Can a 54 year old guy derive benefit? I am bummed that I have been using the cream for about 3 months, but other than an improved mood, I have not experienced any other obvious benefits - no increase in libido, no increase in strength, no reduced body fat. However, I have noticed some shrinkage of my testicles, and have a little puffiness in my chest. I am worried it could be gyno but I have not experienced an increase in nipple sensitivity or a hard spot under my nipples.

I am due for my 3 month checkup soon but am thinking I would prefer to see an MD who can prescribe testosterone injections instead of the cream which is a major pain! Also, I have questions about whether I should combine hCG with the testosterone.

Sorry for the long and rambling introduction. But I feel very fortunate to have found this site and look forward to any and all advice from those who have been successful with their hormone replacement therapy!

Bloodwork before starting testoserone cream:
    total testosterone: 260
    % free 1.6
    free testosterone: 40
    DHEA: 204 (i was taking 100 mgs per day in the morning)
    prolactin: 5.5
    PSA, total: 0.5
    TSH , 3 rd gen(?): 1.66
    T4, free: 1.2
    T3 free: 279
    T3 total: 93
    T3 uptake: 34

Vettester is offline Banned
    Welcome to the forum. I'm also in So Cal. Come see us in the HRT section and we can talk about your program in depth. I think you need to look at your E2 (estradiol), which could be converting from the exogenous testosterone and from the DHEA, permitting it's not 7 Keto DHEA.

Please stop over and start a thread. Plenty there who can help. Not a lot of fans with the cremes or gels, but we can get into that subject later. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Welcome.

Please take the time to read the board rules..

Please give all stats when asking quetions in the questions and answer forum.

Stats consist of:

Weight
    Bf%
    Cycle history
    Years training

Also please take the time to read all the educational threads in the q&a forum as most questions can be answered with alittle reading...

Matt...
    Do not ask me for a source check.

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Welcome.

Please take the time to read the board rules..

Please give all stats when asking quetions in the questions and answer forum.

Stats consist of:

Weight
    Bf%
    Cycle history
    Years training

Also please take the time to read all the educational threads in the q&a forum as most questions can be answered with alittle reading...

Matt...
    Thanks Matt! Will do! Bob

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I'm also in So Cal. Come see us in the HRT section and we can talk about your program in depth. I think you need to look at your E2 (estradiol), which could be converting from the exogenous testosterone and from the DHEA, permitting it's not 7 Keto DHEA.

Please stop over and start a thread. Plenty there who can help. Not a lot of fans with the cremes or gels, but we can get into that subject later. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around.
    Thanks for the welcome vetteman! I will look for you over in the HRT section. I have been using 100 mgs per day of DHEA that I get from Vitamin Shoppe. As far as I know it is not the 7-keto form. I look forward to finding the best HRT program and appreciate your feedback!

Bob

Vettester is offline Banned
    Come on over and talk some HRT. We'll keep the light on!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    welcome bro

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    Come on over and talk some HRT. We'll keep the light on!
    Hi Vetteman08. I replied to your thread describing your current HRT program. I have already learned a great deal from the HRT forum and feel very fortunate to have found this site! Still lots to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    welcome bro

Thanks jpkman! I feel very fortunate to have found this site. I have lots to learn about HRT and the clock is ticking if you know what I mean! :-) Bob
    Last edited by lifeforce0019; 08-03-2010 at 11:53 PM.

spoken_truth is offline Associate Member
    welcome

Xapt3r2ooX is offline New Member
    Welcome

Thread Information