Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Russa getting worried

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/BMD_...ussia_999.html

According to a report of the article carried by Mosnews Wednesday, Yevgeny Buzhinsky, the head of the Russian Defense Ministry's international military cooperation department, wrote that Russia would interpret the deployment of U.S. anti-ballistic missile units "near the Russian borders" as "a real threat to our deterrent forces," the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces.

Russian leaders would "view the planned deployment of U.S. missile defense components in Eastern and Central Europe as a security threat and take retaliatory measures," Buzhinsky wrote.
    The exercises are clearly intended to boost transparency and maintain trust between NATO and Russia. But Gen. Buzhinsky's article sends another, more alarming message: Russian policymakers are becoming increasingly distrustful of the United States, and they appear increasingly willing to contemplate a major offensive nuclear arms build up of their own to counter the growing deployment of U.S.-built and operated BMD forces in Central Europe.
    Gen. Buzhinksy's article should be seen as an initial Russian response to that development too. But it was far from the first warning of its kind. Back in May, four star Army Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, the Russian chief of staff, warned that Russia could react in far-reaching and damaging ways against Poland if it agreed to deploy U.S. BMD systems on its territory.

"Go ahead and build that shield. You have to think, though, what will fall on your heads afterwards," Baluyevsky said. And he pointedly added, "It is understandable that countries that are part of such a shield increase their risk."
    Defenetly not needed. I dont even the the point in USA placing missile defense in eastern europe countries. Thats seriously pissing on russia. I wonder how usa would react if russia started to build those kinds of things in mexico and cuba...

singern is offline Banned
    Well it has been done before, we all remember the Cuban missile crisis.
    I belive the Russian Objections are completely justified, and within there rights, except that we are no longer in a state of conflict with Russians, so what exactly are they afraid of.......

Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Well it has been done before, we all remember the Cuban missile crisis.
    I belive the Russian Objections are completely justified, and within there rights, except that we are no longer in a state of conflict with Russians, so what exactly are they afraid of.......
    Well I would not be to comfterable with a former foe placing that stuff right across my border...If the tables where turned america would defenetly not accept it.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Well I would not be to comfterable with a former foe placing that stuff right across my border...If the tables where turned america would defenetly not accept it.
    Agreed, but Russia does not have every terrorist cell in the world pointing (not now, but in the future, probably) missles at them and their allies...

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Agreed, but Russia does not have every terrorist cell in the world pointing (not now, but in the future, probably) missles at them and their allies...

they want to place the missile defences in former soviet states or close allies to soviet. I dont think poland is that threathened by a irani or north korean missile....

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    they want to place the missile defences in former soviet states or close allies to soviet. I dont think poland is that threathened by a irani or north korean missile....
    Yeah, as much as I try to justify this, it does seem like just a pre-emptive move to secure US interests against other superpowers...

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Yeah, as much as I try to justify this, it does seem like just a pre-emptive move to secure US interests against other superpowers...
    I dont like the possible long term consequenses.

If missile defences are placed in those countries russia will surely stop all dismantling of nuclear arms. They would be urged to once again keep a tremendous stockpile of weapons "just in case". Offcourse if russia doesnt continue to dismantle nukes america wont either.

Just a step in the totaly wrong direction for no reason at all. It will only piss of russia, put a halt to nuclear disarm and sour relations alot. Europe will offcourse side with russia since we depend on russian oil, gas and electricity.

So whats the point of the missle defence? It would not be able to stop even the smallest and most pathetic launch by russia, not to mention it wouldnt do a thing against a full scale launch. It wont be located in a area that is at any risk of beeing targeted by rouge nations. Its just feels like a stupid move alltogheter. Placing american military equipment on former russian turf only for the sake of rubbing russias nose in it.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    I find it plausible it has some geopolitcal agenda. Also these eastern and central european nation are emerging economical hubs. Lest not forget that many are former states of the USSR. Hence their is no doubt is annoys Putin. Just look what happened in Bosnia. I honestly cant believe that they arent deeply irritated by the US presence in Afghanistan and Iraq. One thing the US has is economic power and influence, just look at China and India. Both are quite dependant on the US for economic growth.

Russia has its own domestic issues and terrorism which we hear very little about, Chechnya inclusive, renegade states and seperatists.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    http://www.spacewar.com/reports/BMD_...ussia_999.html

Defenetly not needed. I dont even the the point in USA placing missile defense in eastern europe countries. Thats seriously pissing on russia. I wonder how usa would react if russia started to build those kinds of things in mexico and cuba...
    Yes, I do not know why the US would make a move like this. Unless they plan on using it's removal as a bargaining chip in regards to how Russia votes in the Security Counsel against Iran and North Korea...

Thread Information