Logan13 is offline Banned

Israel Official: Strike on Iran Possible...

Israel Official: Strike on Iran Possible...
    The Jerusalem Post
    Nov. 10, 2006

Sanctions against Iran are unlikely to work, so Israel must be prepared to thwart Teheran's drive for a nuclear capability "at all costs," the newly installed Deputy Minister of Defense Ephraim Sneh has told The Jerusalem Post.

'I prefer fewer declarations and more deeds'
    "I am not advocating an Israeli preemptive military action against Iran, and I am aware of all of its possible repercussions," Sneh stressed. "I consider it a last resort. But even the last resort is sometimes the only resort."

In the most dramatic comments to date by a senior government member on the threat posed by the Iranian nuclear program, the former IDF brigadier-general described an untenable scenario of Israel "living under a dark cloud of fear from a leader committed to its destruction."

He said he was afraid that, under such a threat, "most Israelis would prefer not to live here; most Jews would prefer not to come here with their families; and Israelis who can live abroad will. People are not enthusiastic about being scorched."

Thus the danger, Sneh elaborated, was that Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would "be able to kill the Zionist dream without pushing a button. That's why we must prevent this regime from obtaining nuclear capability at all costs."

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Thursday night that Iran posed a serious threat that needed to be addressed with a cool head.

"There is no issue that I deal with more intensively than the Iranian problem," he told a Kadima meeting in Petah Tikva. But he cautioned against creating panic among the public.

"We have to handle the issue with coolheadedness and wisdom," he said. "Even the Russians don't want a nuclear Iran. We have to talk to everyone and remind them of the danger of a Muslim extremist nation using a nuclear weapon to harm another nation. The big countries have to lead and we have to push them."

Sneh said he still hoped the international community would institute effective sanctions against Iran, but that "the chances are not high... My working assumption is that they won't succeed."

Interviewed in his Knesset office, Sneh said his priority was to define Israel's national goals, including "preparing the IDF for victory in the next round with Iran and its proxies."

High on the list was the need to improve the country's defense systems, he said. "We developed and produced the Arrow, the only system that can intercept nuclear missiles. Depending on the altitude, when intercepted, the warheads do not detonate. But Israel needs to substantially improve its indigenous long-range capacities."

humungus88 is offline Associate Member
    I've already predicted it. Syria is next on the list. Israel will get their apartheid in the middle east, and the US will make sure to that!!

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Oh boy! World War!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Saw a documentary about this yesterday with interviews with a few former israeli prime ministers and the boss of the air force. The message they gave in that documentary was that they would do it if no one else does.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    We seem to be in a world today where you start a war and it potentially lasts forever. Now it seems the only way to win a war is with a nuke.

eliteforce is offline Member
    Syria? what does that have to do with it? anyways the stuff about this mass exodus of Israelis because Iran has the bomb is typical Zionist reactionism.. i never saw a mass exodus from south korea or japan in the wake of the nkorean test

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    edit
    Last edited by Ufa; 12-23-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteforce
    Syria? what does that have to do with it? anyways the stuff about this mass exodus of Israelis because Iran has the bomb is typical Zionist reactionism.. i never saw a mass exodus from south korea or japan in the wake of the nkorean test
    Syria + Iran = Hezbollah. I do not know how to make it any more clear than thi,

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Oh goodie, a Middle Eastern BBQ comming up !!!!

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    Syria + Iran = Hezbollah. I do not know how to make it any more clear than thi,
    Well said.

Thread Information