kfrost06 is offline Banned

Imus settles with CBS, may make comeback

NEW YORK - Don Imus has reached a settlement with CBS over his multimillion-dollar contract and is negotiating with WABC radio to resume his broadcasting career there, according to CBS and a person familiar with the negotiations.

Imus and CBS Radio reached a settlement that would pre-empt the dismissed radio personality's threatened $120 million breach-of-contract lawsuit, CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said Tuesday.

No terms of the settlement were disclosed.

The person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press that Imus is taking steps to make a comeback with WABC-AM. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the news had not been announced, also said the deal with CBS calls for a "non-disparaging" agreement that forbids him from speaking negatively about his former employer.

The settlement and possible comeback come more than four months after Imus created an uproar over his racist and sexist comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Just before his dismissal, Imus signed a five-year, $40 million contract with CBS Radio (owned by CBS Corp.). Famed First Amendment lawyer Martin Garbus said in May that Imus planned to sue CBS for $120 million in unpaid salary and damages.

WFAN, the New York radio station that was Imus' flagship, also announced Tuesday that former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason will take over the morning time slot along with Craig Carton, a New Jersey radio personality.

WABC is a talk-radio station that features political and topical shows with such stars Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

Imus, 66, was dismissed April 12 after describing the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" on his nationally syndicated radio program, which was also simulcast on MSNBC. (General Electric Co.'s cable TV channel now has the "Morning Joe" program with Joe Scarborough.)

Garbus had said Imus would sue for the contract's unpaid part. He cited a contract clause in which CBS acknowledged that Imus' services were "unique, extraordinary, irreverent, intellectual, topical, controversial."

The clause said Imus' programming was "desired by company and ... consistent with company rules and policy," according to Garbus.

Now that the dust has settled, do you think CBS went to far in firing Imus for his comments?

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Geesch, He's only 66! He looks 80+

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
    Geesch, He's only 66! He looks 80+

MJ
    I think he looks like he died 66 years ago

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    He looks like the Wizard from LOTR.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    And he was making fun of someone else's hair???

^^^ROTFLMAO!!! That's funny!

bpm1 is offline Anabolic Member
    it was a joke that they fired him, its sad people actually value wat al sharpton and jesse jackson say, talk about sell-outs

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    ^ Agree. It's retarded that CBS fired him.

bpm1 is offline Anabolic Member
    and yea i thought that guy was in his 90's! talk bout hard living!

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by ebjack
    And he was making fun of someone else's hair???

Who listens to him anyway?

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Most overblown situation ever. I didn't even think what he said was that offensive. Shows the length a corporation will go to to distance themselves from anyone remotely accused of being racist.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop77
    Most overblown situation ever. I didn't even think what he said was that offensive. Shows the length a corporation will go to to distance themselves from anyone remotely accused of being racist.

Of course not because you aren't a member of the Rutger's Women's basketball team.

Anyway, I don't think he should have been fired. Several other's have said much worse without similar consequences.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=BgMc31]Of course not because you aren't a member of the Rutger's Women's basketball team.
    [/ IQUOTE]

"Ho" was the only derogatory word he used, but it gets used in every rap song made these days. As for "nappy head", that is a descriptive term which could be proven.........

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    [QUOTE=Logan13]
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31
    Of course not because you aren't a member of the Rutger's Women's basketball team.
    [/ IQUOTE]

"Ho" was the only derogatory word he used, but it gets used in every rap song made these days. As for "nappy head", that is a descriptive term which could be proven.........
    Nappy head is a derogatory term used to describe the course nature of some blacks hair. It's funny to hear a white guy say what is and isn't offensive to a black person. Again, Logan, stop trying to justify the ignorant nature of those like yourself... bigot!!!!

BTW, bigot can be used as a derogatory term of description that can be proven!

Also not every rap song, like you stated, contains the word Ho or bitch. You're a self proclaimed rap hater, so how would you know what EVERY rap song says? I'm a rap fan and haven't heard every rap song. Just like there are different kinds of rock, different kinds of country, there are different kinds of rap. So again, you just further prove more of your ignorance.
    Last edited by BgMc31; 08-18-2007 at 07:15 PM.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    [QUOTE=BgMc31]
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13

Nappy head is a derogatory term used to describe the course nature of some blacks hair. It's funny to hear a white guy say what is and isn't offensive to a black person. Again, Logan, stop trying to justify the ignorant nature of those like yourself... bigot!!!!

Also not every rap song, like you stated, contains the word Ho or bitch. You're a self proclaimed rap hater, so how would you know what EVERY rap song says? I'm a rap fan and haven't heard every rap song. Just like there are different kinds of rock, different kinds of country, there are different kinds of rap. So again, you just further prove more of your ignorance.
    I was going to post the same thing and then I realized that I would be replying to logan13 so I decided it would be more productive to just ram my head against a wall...

Logan13 is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=BgMc31]
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13

Which one of us is playing the victim?
    ignorant
    bigot
    racist
    boring....................

Thread Information