Logan13 is offline Banned

Gore gets a cold shoulder

Gore gets a cold shoulder
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/environme...696238792.html

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".

Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth.

His comments came on the same day that the Nobel committee honoured Mr Gore for his work in support of the link between humans and global warming.

"We're brainwashing our children," said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. "They're going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It's ridiculous."

At his first appearance since the award was announced in Oslo, Mr Gore said: "We have to quickly find a way to change the world's consciousness about exactly what we're facing."

Mr Gore shared the Nobel prize with the United Nations climate panel for their work in helping to galvanise international action against global warming.

But Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place.

However, he said, that same cycle meant a period of cooling would begin soon and last for several years.

"We'll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was," Dr Gray said.

During his speech to a crowd of about 300 that included meteorology students and a host of professional meteorologists, Dr Gray also said those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error.

He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.

"The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures," Dr Gray said.

He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science.

"It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    Amen! Speaketh the truth!

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    People talk about GW but Gore is the one who failed divinity school...guys a moron. Just shows the low low standards of the nobel.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous"
    One disagrees. How many agree with Gore?

I know nothing more about the weather than what I can see out my front window. But I'm smarter than people who turn Global Climate into a partisan issue just because they don't like Al Gore.

RA
    Theres been one study and approx 50% agree. Not much of a consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    One disagrees. How many agree with Gore?

I know nothing more about the weather than what I can see out my front window. But I'm smarter than people who turn Global Climate into a partisan issue just because they don't like Al Gore.

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Theres been one study and approx 50% agree. Not much of a consensus.
    One study? By who? The North American Umbrella Manufacturer's Association? And how many people agree? And what were their credentials?

I vaguely recall a survey taken of TV weathermen about their opinion of global warming. Since most TV weathermen are Communications majors, not Climatologists, and since get their information about weather from a wire service, they're hardly a reliable source of wisdom when it comes to stuff like this.

Look, my mind is open on this issue. But celebrity opinions about technical issues, IMHO, is not worth much. Neither is "one study."

Skip the partisan politics, skip the celebrity opinions, skip the meaningless studies. Give me the "story behind the story," the "raw data," the "real poop," or else go away.

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    there was a thread about this started a few months ago...

Over 500 scientists published studies countering global warming fears...

Quote Originally Posted by Dizz28
    there was a thread about this started a few months ago...
    Over 500 scientists published studies countering global warming fears...
    Ya, well, that thread showcased an opinion from the Hudson Institute, which is an organization that gets its $$$ from multi-national corporations like

----------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Institute
    The Hudson Institute is supported by donations from companies and individuals. Corporate contributors include Eli Lilly and Company, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow-Elanco, Sandoz, Ciba-Geigy, ConAgra, Cargill, and Procter & Gamble.[2]
    Fundraising efforts use testimonials from what the Institute calls its "family of generous supporters and friends", among them, Henry Kissinger, who provides a testimonial:
    "Hudson Institute is today one of America's foremost policy research centers, in the forefront of study and debate on important domestic and international policy issues, known and respected around the globe, a leader in ********** thinking and creative solutions to the challenges of the present and the future."[3] Some question the institute's position on many issues. An example is their view of food production and the large sums they receive from food companies.

---------------------------

What I want to see is research done by competant technicans who don't have an ax to grind, who aren't inclined to tailor their research to make the people who pay their bills happy.

One reason why I subscribe to Consumer Reports and trust what they say about stuff, is that they don't take any advertising. They pay for the stuff they test themselves, they test it without prejudice, and report the findings. Why can't these people researching global climate do the same?

Sheesh . . .

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    One study? By who? The North American Umbrella Manufacturer's Association?
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

RA
    My arent we pissy. Your boytoy cut you off or something?

One study? By who? The North American Umbrella Manufacturer's Association? And how many people agree? And what were their credentials?

I vaguely recall a survey taken of TV weathermen about their opinion of global warming. Since most TV weathermen are Communications majors, not Climatologists, and since get their information about weather from a wire service, they're hardly a reliable source of wisdom when it comes to stuff like this.

Look, my mind is open on this issue. But celebrity opinions about technical issues, IMHO, is not worth much. Neither is "one study."

Skip the partisan politics, skip the celebrity opinions, skip the meaningless studies. Give me the "story behind the story," the "raw data," the "real poop," or else go away.

My arent we pissy. Your boytoy cut you off or something?
    Yeah, I miss you something awful.

Come back to me! I promise I'll let you be on top from now on . . .

RA
    Well if you werent rounded out like a Ken doll Id think about it.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    People talk about GW but Gore is the one who failed divinity school...guys a moron. Just shows the low low standards of the nobel.
    Low standards?!?!? The peace price is just a stupid political statement no doubt, but the other prices are the highest standard achivable. There is no higher award in science!

This is btw what Nobel about the peace price.
    "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses"."

I dont know how anyone can even imagine that for instance Arafat fits that profile, the peace price has gone to such odd persons over the years that it has lost all its value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern
    Low standards?!?!? The peace price is just a stupid political statement no doubt, but the other prices are the highest standard achivable. There is no higher award in science!

This is btw what Nobel about the peace price.
    "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses"."

I dont know how anyone can even imagine that for instance Arafat fits that profile, the peace price has gone to such odd persons over the years that it has lost all its value.
    The Nobel Peace prize has gone down the same road of insignifance that the UN has.

Tock, you're making my day go by faster. Thank you.

RA
    Get off your knees Carlos, there is a time and place for that.

Don't be a fuckin retard.

RA
    I didnt get going bro

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Don't be a fuckin retard.

I didnt get going bro
    statements that include sexual innuendo are only cool if they come from Tock or carlos ..........

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    statements that include sexual innuendo are only cool if they come from Tock or carlos ..........
    Mine was a retort to tacky comment. Carlos' was an acclaimation (as greatly deserved as it was appreciated, I might add) of my wit.
    Of course, you understood that.

Child.

RA
    You were acting like a complete asshat so I was wondering if something else in your life was causing this problem. Tacky comment, I dont think so.

As far as your wit goes I find it very lacking.

Mine was a retort to tacky comment. Carlos' was an acclaimation (as greatly deserved as it was appreciated, I might add) of my wit.

Child.

Child.
    As usual, I wasn't the one whining.............

Thread Information