Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    buffgator is offline king of mass
    Quote Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
    The point is that simple conversation skills that we learned in grade school could have averted the situation. Unfortunately, this cop was touting the "do as I say no matter what" attitude a lot of police officers front with. He was more interested in being a bad ass and getting his way when a simple conversation with a CLEARLY non-aggressive person would have yielded safer and better results.

You aren't legally bound to do anything a cop tells you to do. I'm willing to bet my 3 years of law school and 5 years of practice that I know more than you do on the subject.
    can you give us a referance for this. There are still consequences for not doing what they say though.

Dagron is offline Junior Member
    I'm wondering how I missed this thread... yet another example of why tasers need to go from whence they came.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
    I'm wondering how I missed this thread... yet another example of why tasers need to go from whence they came.
    Tasers shouldn't go away they are a good tool used properly. Cops who abuse them or their power should go away

Dagron is offline Junior Member
    I disagree, law enforcement seemed to be operating just fine until the advent of tasers, and police abuse rarely seemed to be an issue. I can understand and respect why you may disagree, though.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
    I disagree, law enforcement seemed to be operating just fine until the advent of tasers, and police abuse rarely seemed to be an issue. I can understand and respect why you may disagree, though.
    Was police abuse rarely an issue because the media didn't make it one, or did it not exist?

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969 View Post
    Was police abuse rarely an issue because the media didn't make it one, or did it not exist?
    I think the media is a major deciding factor whether something becomes an issue or not.

FLBMWMech is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
    Don't forget, even assuming both sides are both wrong (assholes) the POLICE OFFICER is trained to deal with all types of people. They go through the academy and are TAUGHT not to let people rile you. Even if you spit in the cop's face they are taught to keep a level head (although I wouldn't expect anyone to tolerate that). The officer has the badge, the gun, and the taser. He is held to a higher standard and is expected to be the "adult" in the situation, not the bully.

If you are really an attorney, then you'd know that spitting on a police officer is BATTERY on a law enforcement official. A couple years back, a guy in Orlando did this during a traffic stop and was given 366 days in prison. I don't really understand why so many people feel that they shouldn't be held liable for the consequences of their actions(breaking the law)-- but everyone else (IE: The Cop) should be punished for acting within their duty and within the law.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FLBMWMech View Post
    If you are really an attorney, then you'd know that spitting on a police officer is BATTERY on a law enforcement official. A couple years back, a guy in Orlando did this during a traffic stop and was given 366 days in prison. I don't really understand why so many people feel that they shouldn't be held liable for the consequences of their actions(breaking the law)-- but everyone else (IE: The Cop) should be punished for acting within their duty and within the law.
    Very well put!

Act of God is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLBMWMech View Post
    Actually "battery" doesn't exist in the state that I practice, it is assault. I didn't say that spitting on an officer is not a crime. I said that they are trained to be the level head in heated situations. They are TAUGHT (you know what that means right?) not to lose it and go off the handle when they are tested by uppity assholes.

They have guns, badges, cuffs and backup...they have a responsibility not to lower themselves to the level of the perp.

/thread

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    BUMP only because i found this on the cbs news website:
    A man died after state troopers stunned him with a Taser when they said he became "uncooperative" after being involved in a wreck.

The man, identified by his father as Mark C. Backlund, was involved in a rush-hour crash Tuesday evening on Interstate 694 in New Brighton. No other vehicles were involved.

"Troopers attempted to bring the situation and individual under control, and in the process, deployed a taser," said Lt. Mark Peterson with the Minnesota State Patrol.

Backlund was breathing but unconscious when paramedics arrived, according to Allina Medical Transportation spokesman Tim Burke. He was pronounced dead at Unity Hospital in Fridley.

The official cause of Backlund's death has not been determined, the state Department of Public Safety said. The Anoka County Medical Examiner was performing an autopsy.

Five state troopers were placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure, the Department of Public Safety said. A spokesman would not describe what kind of "uncooperative" behavior was involved.

The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is leading the investigation.

"This is a traumatic event for a lot of people," superintendent Tim O'Malley said. "Someone has died and in fairness to that person, the troopers, family members and others who may have been affected, we need to make sure that we're accurate and thorough."

Backlund had been driving to the airport to pick up his parents, who were returning from a trip to Florida.

State Patrol Lt. Mark Peterson didn't return telephone calls Wednesday or Thursday from The Associated Press seeking more information.

CBS station WCCO correspondent Sue Turner said his parents were picking up their luggage when they got a call from one of Mark's friends informing them that their son was dead.

Gordon Backlund said he was told his son's heart stopped, but he added his son had no heart conditions. Autopsy results are not expected until Thursday afternoon at the earliest.

"He was a caring individual," his father Gordon Backlund told Turner. "Mark loved life, he was happy. He was kind of a kidder."

The life they describe is not one of a man out of control. Mark lived with his parents after moving back home from California. He was working part-time while attending school. His family said he was always there to help a friend in need.

He leaves behind a 2-year-old child, Nathaniel.

"His son was so important to him," his sister, Melanie Backlund Moe, told WCCO "I'm just really devastated that his son won’t get to know him now."

A U.S. Justice Department study released in October said arrest-related deaths involving Tasers or other conducted-energy devices are rising, although overall numbers are low. From 2003-2005, there were 36 such deaths total, with a jump from 3 cases in 2003 to 24 in 2005.

"It's sometimes upsetting to look at, but really the alternative is a big wrestling match with a police officer and could escalate all the way up to a use of deadly force," said Minneapolis Deputy Chief Scott Gerlicher in October 2007. He spoke about Tasers then because the Minneapolis Police Department is equipping some of its tasers with cameras.

His department had done an internal study on Taser use and found it reduced injuries to the officers completely. Injuries to the people tasered was 5.8 percent, compared to 43 percent when officers used traditional force. In 2006, MPD officers used Tasers 232 times, up 75 percent from the year before.

Good bye tasers you ****ing criminals
    Theres a picture of the dude on the website...i can't find anywhere in the article where it says how old the guy is, but he looks to be mid 20's....This KID lost his life to the hands of law enforcement over a TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.....what the F*CK was he being so uncooperative about? Was he not turning over his insurance or what!? I can't fathom an occurence in which tasing someone over a traffic accident seems appropriate...let alone killing a man over it....

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qualityclrk1 View Post

Good bye tasers you ****ing criminals
    Theres a picture of the dude on the website...i can't find anywhere in the article where it says how old the guy is, but he looks to be mid 20's....This KID lost his life to the hands of law enforcement over a TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.....what the F*CK was he being so uncooperative about? Was he not turning over his insurance or what!? I can't fathom an occurence in which tasing someone over a traffic accident seems appropriate...let alone killing a man over it....
    There are always 3 sides to a story, the man who got tased, the cop, and the truth.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by qualityclrk1 View Post
    "It's sometimes upsetting to look at, but really the alternative is a big wrestling match with a police officer and could escalate all the way up to a use of deadly force," said Minneapolis Deputy Chief Scott Gerlicher in October 2007. He spoke about Tasers then because the Minneapolis Police Department is equipping some of its tasers with cameras.

chairshot

He just admitted that the cops are using the devices inappropriately because they dont want to actually have to work to subdue a suspect, they want to immediately taze him. Once again, these devices are only designed to be used in a situation where the officer would otherwise be using his firearm.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    People also have died from drinking too much water so should we ban water?
    You can’t take the very small percentage of people that have a reaction to the taser and ban it.

Also comparing tasing to a gun is just dumb. I'd rather be tased any day of the week then shot.

It’s considered resisting arrest if you do not comply with an officer. An office is then allowed to use force.
    well said.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Geeze, how many people have to die before they ban these things, or at least cops stop using them like they're water pistols.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    "It's sometimes upsetting to look at, but really the alternative is a big wrestling match with a police officer and could escalate all the way up to a use of deadly force," said Minneapolis Deputy Chief Scott Gerlicher in October 2007.
    Well that worked out well. They used deadly force to avoid using deadly force.

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    BUMP....more bull shit on the taser situation...tasers are becoming a PROBLEM....if u wouldn't draw ur glock, u shouldn't draw a taser---hopefully we can all agree on that point....dunno if i already said this, but one of the first thigns u learn in a hunters safety course is NEVER point a gun at anything you don't mean to kill.....i look at the taser same way....read this from cbsnews.com, and tell me if u think it was justified....

Deputy Uses Taser On Fleeing Bicyclist

HAMILTON CITY, Calif., Jan. 29, 2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (AP) A Glenn County sheriff's deputy shot a man with a Taser gun for allegedly riding his bike at night without proper lighting.

According to a sheriff's spokesman, the bicyclist ignored warnings from the deputy he would use the stun gun, then fled on foot.

One probe struck the bicyclist, Omar Herrada Rivera, 39, but he did not receive a shock.

After being checked out at a hospital, Rivera was held in the county jail on suspicion of resisting arrest, riding a bicycle without proper lighting, and suspicion of riding under the influence of alcohol. The sheriff's spokesman said the deputy's decision to use the Taser was proper.

___

Information from: Chico Enterprise-Record, http://www.chicoer.com

i don't believe the punishment received from the taser fit the crime committed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information