Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Prada is offline Anabolic Member

Sen. Clinton calls for equal federal benefits for gay couples

http://pageoneq.com/news/2008/Sen._C..._cou_0403.html

Clinton says she will defend gay rights

Clinton Says She Will Eliminate Disparities for Same-Sex Couples in Federal Law

NEDRA PICKLER
    AP News

Apr 03, 2008 16:55 EST

Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said she would defend gay rights as president and eliminate disparities for same-sex couples in federal law, including immigration and tax policy.

Clinton said states such as New Jersey and Massachusetts are extending rights to gay couples "and the federal government should recognize that and should extend the same access to federal benefits across the board. I will very much work to achieve that."

Clinton's comments came in an interview with the Philadelphia Gay News that was posted on its Web site Thursday.

Clinton said she and her husband have many gay friends that they socialize with when they get the chance. "I've got friends, literally, around the country that I'm close to. It's part of my life," she said.

She said that when they ask her why they can't get married, she tells them marriage is a state law. She said that fact helped defeat a constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex weddings that she said would "enshrine discrimination in the Constitution."

"States are really beginning seriously to deal with the whole range of options, including marriage, both under their own state constitutions and under the legislative approach," she said. "I anticipate that there will be a very concerted amount of effort in the next couple of years that will move this important issue forward and different states will take different approaches as they did with marriage over many years and you will see an evolution over time."

Clinton said she opposes a measure that would ban gay marriage in Pennsylvania.

"I would be very distressed if Pennsylvania were to adopt that kind of mean-spirited referendum and I hope it won't happen," she said.

Clinton's Democratic rival Barack Obama and Republican John McCain declined the newspaper's invitation for an interview. The paper criticized Obama and highlighted his refusal to talk by leaving a blank space on the front page where his interview would have appeared.

Clinton also said she would:

_ Eliminate her husband's policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" that prevents gays from serving openly in the military. Asked if she could do so by a signing order connected to a military appropriations bill, Clinton said she didn't think that is possible but she would look into it and do it if it were legal.

_ Be "very strongly outspoken" against foreign governments that execute gays and use financial assistance and other leverage to prevent the killings.

_ Support federal domestic partner legislation to extend rights to all same-sex couples.

_ Support services for gay youth, including guidance for schools about the discrimination they face.

_ Continue to support gay pride celebrations, to the extent that security would allow. "I don't think the Secret Service let Bill walk in a parade when he became president," she said.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    while its always a good idea to push for bills that allow for equal rights between blacks and whites, homosexuals and heterosexuals etc, the real challenge is changing society's negative attitudes towards these minority groups.

as we've seen with race, on paper and the law they are just as equal, but society has still yet to catch up to the standard that has been set. this is no different i think.

Dangercat00 is offline Junior Member
    I think this is one of those situations where Hillary just wants to get a higher vote among homosexuals. Obviously Obama supports the same thing, she just wants the media to look at her and say "Wow, what a compassionate American! Gay people should definitely vote for her!" When it comes down to it, like Amorphic said, its a societal issue more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    while its always a good idea to push for bills that allow for equal rights between blacks and whites, homosexuals and heterosexuals etc, the real challenge is changing society's negative attitudes towards these minority groups.

as we've seen with race, on paper and the law they are just as equal, but society has still yet to catch up to the standard that has been set. this is no different i think.
    black and white isn't a sin against god. being homo is. screw that hillary has diffinatly lost my vote for is.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by intensityfreak View Post
    black and white isn't a sin against god. being homo is. screw that hillary has diffinatly lost my vote for is.
    Keep your right wing close minded religious fundamentalist opinions to yourself. There are several well respected homosexual members on this message board. You have no right to tell other people how to live or to try and impose your 5,000 year old ideology onto other people through legislation. People like you, make me sick.

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Keep your right wing close minded religious fundamentalist opinions to yourself. There are several well respected homosexual members on this message board. You have no right to tell other people how to live or to try and impose your 5,000 year old ideology onto other people through legislation. People like you, make me sick.
    Both good posts.

My only input on this one is the politicians say ANYTHING to get those few more votes right b4 an election.

Tony Blair here in the UK is a prime example.
    (No new tax's or tax's increases was his promise.. over 80 different tax increases later its obvious it was a lie to get votes)

Quote Originally Posted by shifty_git View Post
    Both good posts.

My only input on this one is the politicians say ANYTHING to get those few more votes right b4 an election.

Tony Blair here in the UK is a prime example.
    (No new tax's or tax's increases was his promise.. over 80 different tax increases later its obvious it was a lie to get votes)
    if that was the case Hillary lost votes. their is so many religious groups out protesting right now against Hillary for this. i could be wrong about this but i read that hillary lost 13% of her women votes because of the religious views.

yea your right i dont have the right to tell poeple how to live, but the bible does. i think its funny how the only people that thinks its right gays. i have a gay friend and i talk to him and he knows its against god and he says he cant help who he loves and i feel for him.im not against gays at all. i love every one.im a real good guy i dont hate anyone. just think that if i support hillary for this would be trying to help a cause that god doesn't allow. dud i want you to put your hand on the bible and tell me that you truly beleive being gay is perfectly okay.
    good made adam and eve to be togetor not adam and adam. not closed minded at all eithor just cant see homo as being in the vision of god. what good comes from it, aids, hiv let me know what good does it do for the world.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    yea your right i dont have the right to tell poeple how to live, but the bible does. i think its funny how the only people that thinks its right gays. i have a gay friend and i talk to him and he knows its against god and he says he cant help who he loves and i feel for him.im not against gays at all. i love every one.im a real good guy i dont hate anyone. just think that if i support hillary for this would be trying to help a cause that god doesn't allow. dud i want you to put your hand on the bible and tell me that you truly beleive being gay is perfectly okay.
    good made adam and eve to be togetor not adam and adam. not closed minded at all eithor just cant see homo as being in the vision of god. what good comes from it, aids, hiv let me know what good does it do for the world.
    The bible doesnt have a right to tell anyone how to live their life. Its up to everyone if they want to belive in that particular book, but it doesnt give anyone beliving in it the right to push those oppinion on others.

yea your right i dont have the right to tell poeple how to live, but the bible does.
    What the hell have you been smoking skippy?

Since when does a ficticious story book (which you for some reason CHOOSE to believe as "fact") have any rights to tell people how to live their lives?

Last I heard in the USA and in most civilised countries, the bible is not law. It holds no legal standing in any courts. As a matter of fact, in the US the separation of church and state is even legislated!

And seeing the vitriolic intolerance of your fellow men you display here, it's pretty obvious that the messages of tolerance, forgiveness and love contained in the Good Book are pretty well wasted on you...

Red

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    i think its funny how the only people that thinks its right gays.
    You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by intensityfreak
    i have a gay friend and i talk to him and he knows its against god and he says he cant help who he loves and i feel for him.im not against gays at all.
    Your friend would benefit greatly from a more accurate understanding of the Bible.
    Turn him on to this website:

http://www.mccchurch.org/AM/Template...&ContentID=629

Homosexuality: Not a Sin, Not a Sickness

by Rev. Elder Don Eastman

A growing number of biblical and theological scholars now recognize that Scripture does not condemn loving, responsible homosexual relationships. Therefore, gay men and lesbians should be accepted - just as they are-in Christian churches, and homosexual relationships should be celebrated and affirmed!
    ~
    Rev. Elder Don Eastman, Homosexuality: Not a Sin, Not a Sickness

A classic essay on homosexuality in the Bible, Rev. Elder Eastman's concise and affirming wisdom is a staple for anyone desiring deeper understanding of what the Bible really says. Originally released in 1990, this resource has been re-edited and re-released for the 2005 audience.

Homosexuality; Not A Sin, Not A Sickness
    by Rev. Elder Don Eastman
    ©Copyright 1990

Originally Posted by intensityfreak

Intensityfreak is fine -- I'll bet he's a pretty good guy at heart. It's his god that's screwed up.

39+1 is offline Banned
    Intnsityfreak your just a cock sucker im a white male and have no problems with giving same rigths to the homos. And actually you comment about black and white marriages not being againts the' "rules" of the bible is absurd what the hell do you think the KKK base there beliefs on dumb ass.
    Small minded people like you are just the same people that did not allow white and black people or any interatial couple to legally mary in the united stated until 1959 ( i think that date is right)which occured in orange county california. Today everyone accepts interratial marriages. lets go 20 years into the future and and homo marriges will be accepted and the people that opposed it will be thought of just what they are today small minded selfish people. I bet your one of those that have been married and divorced but stand on the podium shouting we must maintain the sactity of marriage, Ha what a tool you must be

black and white isn't a sin against god. being homo is.
    Maybe it's a sin against your god.
    It isn't against mine.

Let me take this opportunity to call your god a dumb f---. And if your god doesn't like it, your god can strike me dead in my sleep tonight.

I'll talk to ya tomorrow . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    It isn't against mine.

Let me take this opportunity to call your god a dumb f---. And if your god doesn't like it, your god can strike me dead in my sleep tonight.

Unless his god strikes u down of course! lol

It isn't against mine.

quick question, who is your god. what is your religion i would like to research it.

I posted this on April 5, and it's now April 7. Looks like your god doesn't mind being called a dumb f---.

The problem with your god is that it is too small.
    A suitable remedy can be found in the pages of a book by that name:
    "Your God is Too Small"
    written by a smart fellow by the name of J.B.Phillips about 30 years ago (he also wrote one of the only intelligent English translations of the New Testament, which I also highly recommend for your edification and spiritual enlightenment).

Here's a review, which I copied from Amazon.com:
    -------------------------

Book Description
    In Your God Is Too Small, J. B. Phillips explains that the trouble facing many of us today is that we have not found a God big enough for our modern needs. In a world where our experience of life has grown in myriad directions, and our mental horizons have been expanded to the point of bewilderment by world events and scientific discoveries, our ideas of God have remained largely static.

It is nearly impossible, Phillips argues, for an adult to worship the conception of God that exists in the mind of a child of Sunday-school age, the "God-in-a-box" notion, limiting God to such inadequate conceptions as "Resident Policeman," "Grand Old Man," "Meek-and-Mild," and "Managing Director." As a result of these insufficient ideas of God, many people live with an inner dissatisfaction, without any faith at all. Your God Is Too Small explores the ways in which we can find a truly meaningful and constructive God for ourselves, big enough to account for our current experience of life and big enough to command our highest admiration and respect.

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    I posted this on April 5, and it's now April 7. Looks like your god doesn't mind being called a dumb f---.
    It's a good thing too since I have called Him much worse things. In fact I am sure at sometime everyone has called Him some bad names.

Act of God is offline Member
    In before the Carlos lock!

The Federal Government shouldn't be giving benefits to any couples, but if they are...might as well be fair to everyone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a mature and non-derogatory way. Keep it civil guys.

Dangercat, at the same time she might lose a lot of the somewhat conservative votes that jumped ship or that had an interest in her. They might view this stance to be against religious values and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a mature and non-derogatory way. Keep it civil guys.

Dangercat, at the same time she might lose a lot of the somewhat conservative votes that jumped ship or that had an interest in her. They might view this stance to be against religious values and so on.
    very good point Prada. No way are we all going to agree on issues but we should be able to disagree in a civil manner. Save the mud slinging for the politicians, they are very good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06 View Post
    very good point Prada. No way are we all going to agree on issues but we should be able to disagree in a civil manner. Save the mud slinging for the politicians, they are very good at it.
    Agreed.

Its really sad that one cant have a mature debate on here. There is always a few individuals that have to commence name calling and insulting. Which leads to threads being locked. Id rather see them not be locked but the members be suspended. Why should others have to pay for the immaturity of a select few?

This thread will surely get locked but Id rather see the 2-3 individuals destroying it be suspended or banned. If you are not mature enough to respect the opinions of others you surely shouldn ot be on an AAS board.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Agreed.

Its really sad that one cant have a mature debate on here. There is always a few individuals that have to commence name calling and insulting. Which leads to threads being locked. Id rather see them not be locked but the members be suspended. Why should others have to pay for the immaturity of a select few?

This thread will surely get locked but Id rather see the 2-3 individuals destroying it be suspended or banned. If you are not mature enough to respect the opinions of others you surely shouldn ot be on an AAS board.
    so very true.

Agreed.

even worse is when you find yourself getting drawn into it and then !! You come back the next day and read your post and what was I thinking I try to just avoid those threads now and avoid posting when on halotestin . I do soo love discussing the current hot topics and it's more fun to do so with someone that has an opposing point of view but like you said a few can ruin it. To be honest I have been that one sometimes but the name calling is something that I just don't agree with, argue the topic not the person. With that said, see you F'n losers tomorrow

brewerpi is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=Prada;3909477]Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a mature and non-derogatory way. Keep it civil guys.

Dangercat, at the same time she might lose a lot of the somewhat conservative votes that jumped ship or that had an interest in her.

Bravo-I am always amused when the people who claim to be the most liberal seem to want to limit the free speech of someone who doesn't agree with them.

^^^^ agree, was a great post.

We are all human, and how we treat others is how we should be judged, not selective love.

okay i tried to be civil but you are a moron and clearly must be homo, you have not proved any argument all you did was tell what think is correct. as i said above poeple pick and choose what they want to belive and hear. yea im not stupid i no thiers more than homo's that spread the disease everyone knows that, all i did was answer you question you so desperatly wanted me to answer. which was , What negative effect does homo's have on society? now you tell me is that a negative effect or not. well is it. matter of fact i want you to send me a list of positives effeects on society and i will send a list of negatives and well see witch one is begger. we will settle this like that. yea you know mine will be bigger cause thier is know positives of that? just name one, ill be waiting? dont just say im igronant over and oversend me some positives of it then ill be quit? go ahead

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    okay i tried to be civil but you are a moron and clearly must be homo, you have not proved any argument all you did was tell what think is correct. as i said above poeple pick and choose what they want to belive and hear. yea im not stupid i no thiers more than homo's that spread the disease everyone knows that, all i did was answer you question you so desperatly wanted me to answer. which was , What negative effect does homo's have on society? now you tell me is that a negative effect or not. well is it. matter of fact i want you to send me a list of positives effeects on society and i will send a list of negatives and well see witch one is begger. we will settle this like that. yea you know mine will be bigger cause thier is know positives of that? just name one, ill be waiting? dont just say im igronant over and oversend me some positives of it then ill be quit? go ahead
    Not only have you proven you ignorance by showing that you have no clue what you are talking about (ignorance=lack of knowledge). You then show your lack of maturity by calling me a moron and gay (homo as you put it). But it doesn't offend me at all because it just means that I've struck a nerve with you and its pissed you off to the point to which you would resort to such childish games. Its laughable to me. Here is something most find quite true. Most of the people who are so vehemently opposed to homosexual lifestyle in the face of clear evidence of it having no negative effect on society tend to be latent homosexuals themselves and are ashamed of it, therefore practicing a form of self-hatred. Just food for thought.

Anyway, I don't have to prove homosexuality has a positive effect on society. My point, which has been state by me and countless others, is why does it matter. There are many things in this country that don't effect the public at large either way so we don't concern ourselves with it. Once it becomes a societal burden, then we should examine it and outlaw it if it is an issue. But homosexuality doesn't hurt society at all. I can think of one positive off the top of my head. How bout allowing gays and lesbian the same freedom enjoyed by everyone thereby lessening the tensions in this country if only by a fraction. Allow them to marry and no more demonstrations that can haunt conservatives who think gays and lesbians are pushing their homosexual agendas. LoL!

Equal rights sounds like a pretty good positive to me!

But once again, how does homosexuality have a negative impact on society? I'm still waiting for you to come up with one plausible argument. And lease don't answer my question with a question again. Makes you look even more ignorant.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    You let them go long enough they dig their own hole.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I know of one positive effect of homosexuality. Lesbian porn! How can anyone religious not agree that is gods finest gift to mankind or atleast half of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kärnfysikern View Post
    I know of one positive effect of homosexuality. Lesbian porn! How can anyone religious not agree that is gods finest gift to mankind or atleast half of it?
    One positive effect? What about more homosexuals =................................. more women available for us!!

*NB: Assuming there are more male homosexuals then female.

another positive effect: Less people being born and thus, helping the earth's overpopulation issues. Additionally, more parking spaces open and less traffic as a result.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^Less kids being born leads to more kids being adopted, which would most likely lower abortion rates. The law of supply and demand.

No need for flaming. Please stop the name calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
    No need for flaming. Please stop the name calling.
    +1, ^^^

To 39+1, why is it necessary to start calling names? Is that really going to help your arguement? Besides, to my knowledge calling someone a "cock sucker" and a "homo" is not pro-gay language

+1, ^^^

To 39+1, why is it necessary to start calling names? Is that really going to help your arguement? Besides, to my knowledge calling someone a "cock sucker" and a "homo" is not pro-gay language
    I would have been banned if I said something like that...

39+1 is offline Banned
    +1, ^^^

You need to reread my post, slowly so youll understand it. Idiot! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 39+1 View Post
    You need to reread my post, slowly so youll understand it. Idiot! LOL
    Check your PMs.

Everyone gets a warning first. How many have you gotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
    Everyone gets a warning first. How many have you gotten?
    Warnings? None, "they" just go straight to the ban. Half the time I don't even know why. That's ok, I see how it is around here. Don't worry Carlos, I'll make sure never to have an opinion different than yours...since you are so morally evolved compared to the rest of us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information