Dave-D is offline Junior Member

Racist Door Policy

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...77&ft=1&f=1003

I just heard this story on NPR about nightclubs in Kansas City being accused of discrimination because of their dress codes.

Am I missing something about the situation in KC?

If you want to go out in any big city and go to the hottest venues you have to dress right, show up with some girls (and not show up with a bunch of dudes) and or be prepared to spend some money.

The system is not democratic, but thats the just way it is...

Anyone work security in KC or can shed some light on this?

Iron_Pig is offline Member
    It is the image they want to promote for their club and when they are paying all the bills they make the rules.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    I don't even dress to those standards... unless I'm going to a club where that's the dress code.

Give me a break. "The only thing they wear"? Who's racist now? The prick doorman or the so-called attorney that said that who thinks he is defending minorities?

wanabeMASSIVE! is offline Senior Member
    Fvk rasism in the ear and make it bleed!

CBGB is offline Senior Member
    I didnt read the article, but I live very close to KP&L.

KP&L and Westport are both entertainment districts within 10min of each other. Westport has been around for a long time and has always been a great place to hang out and party. Untill 5-6 years ago. It has been overrun by crime and gang like activities. I still go there for the music scene, but I know a lot of people that won't anymore. It is turning into a place where looking at someone wrong will get your ass kicked, and a lot of people don't want to deal with it anymore.

Now, here comes KP&L. They know Wesport has a problem, and there are a ton of white people who might be willing to spend their money if the felt safe enough. So they made a bunch of rules on attire and code of conduct. White people are comming and spending money. To be fair, their clubs are on a much higher end than Wesport and imho you should dress the part. To be unfair. I have shown up there on my bike in work boots, leather and a cut off shirt on bike night and had no problems getting in. Not sure I would be able to say that if I was not white. I feel like they are pushing to hard for a certain appearance. But on the other side of that. If you show up at my club doing everything possible to look and act like a POS, I probably wouldnt let you in either.

Iron_Pig is offline Member
    My buddy has a club here, he tells me you do this to keep out trouble makers and he has been doing this for a long time he can tell who is trouble and who is not. For instance if you show up and your pants are hanging down so you can see your crack you are not getting in. Its all about money.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Used to be involved in this business while I was in college. Flat brim hats, Timberland boots, baggy jeans, air force ones, doo-rags, you are not coming into an upscale club like the one I was involved in wearing that shit. That shit ass attire is ok for selling crack on the set, or a shitty music video, but not an upscale night club. No one who is drinking a $500 bottle of champagne wearing a $2,200 3 piece suit and $300 italian leather shoes wants to share their space with someone who looks like they just got done doing a drive by and smacking their hoe.

In my opinion, it has NOTHING to do with race, and everything to do with wanting to keep hood-rats, ghetto people, and as I call them.. "homies" out of upscale clubs with decent human beings who contribute to society. You can be any race, ethnicity, etc, and dress and act like this. It is very convenient for people to label this as racist in defense of this activity. These places are private businesses, they can deny service based on whatever criteria they please. If you dont like it, go somewhere else, and f**kin cry about it.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So this thread is claiming that the rights of scruffy looking bastards have been encroached upon by a respectable looking venue and business?

Well boo fvcking hoo. It amazes me when stuff like this happens and people cry racism or their freedom isn't being respected. Well **** that.

A question to the OP. Would you allow people who dress exactly how Godfather described, with their baggy jeans hanging halfway down their legs, to a funeral.

Of course you wouldn't. Im all for dress codes. It's not discrimination, its not a breach of freedoms, its a chance for people with some style to mix with other people with style.

'Nuff said.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    That's not racist
    A dew rag or work boots aren't a thing of beauty, and not even black people would call putting on their best dew rag as dressing up.

If you're on the border-line of the dress code, don't complain because someone gets in and you don't...it's your responsibility to make sure.

I'm white and got denied entrance to a trendy local night club for wearing sketchers and they looked almost like shoes...but whatever, it happens. And they let people in that looked like they were dressed worse. Had to go someplace else, it can happen to anyone.

If you want to see racist door policy, try a country club. There are a few in the country where sadly it still exists. Some people just look for racism everywhere. For the most part the general public gets treated very similar...we're all equally not very important.

meathead320 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Used to be involved in this business while I was in college. Flat brim hats, Timberland boots, baggy jeans, air force ones, doo-rags, you are not coming into an upscale club like the one I was involved in wearing that shit. That shit ass attire is ok for selling crack on the set, or a shitty music video, but not an upscale night club. No one who is drinking a $500 bottle of champagne wearing a $2,200 3 piece suit and $300 italian leather shoes wants to share their space with someone who looks like they just got done doing a drive by and smacking their hoe.

In my opinion, it has NOTHING to do with race, and everything to do with wanting to keep hood-rats, ghetto people, and as I call them.. "homies" out of upscale clubs with decent human beings who contribute to society. You can be any race, ethnicity, etc, and dress and act like this. It is very convenient for people to label this as racist in defense of this activity. These places are private businesses, they can deny service based on whatever criteria they please. If you dont like it, go somewhere else, and f**kin cry about it.
    100%.

If I were working at a club like that and about 5 white guys showed up, dressed like gang bangers, then they are not getting in either. Those are the rules, and it is a private establishment.

If someone owns a buisness, then they should be able to deny or allow entry based on whatever critera they want. They own it like their own home. The last thing we need is the government telling people who they can have and not have in their own home. That should go for any place they own.
    Last edited by meathead320; 07-13-2009 at 10:34 AM.

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Thats all B.S... *Godfather.. I love you. lol

Anyway, You have to dress according to the club. They have the right of refusal. Used to be you could wear boots to clubs, Now its only sneakers or shoes. No Baggy jeans in some places. Collared shirt. You have to adhere to the club requirements if you want to enter. Now Myself I always wear my sunday best (As I like to say) Yet every now and then I will pay the xtra $25 to wear my hat just because Im in that type of mood.
    As far as all that other crap, Ive actually hung wit a CEO of some company (2years ago, cant remember exactly) He drove his Lambo to a Hip hop club just to hang wit the "Homies". He also had a stretch limo with a pool pull up so the people he met could leave with him and go back to his mansion and party. He was 45 and white (Came alone btw). Some people want to be in that scene.
    Myself I find it old and boring, Id rather hang with a much more upscale crowd.
    Its not racist for a club to deny anyone entry, otherwise would you go to a club that they let anyone in?

jmo

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Yeah, but the problem is most Blacks and douchebags dress like that so the dumbasses call racism.

I call common sense but then again, I do realise common sense is an ever elusive creature these days.
    ***No source checks!!!***

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

exactly. i ran the door at an upscale spot in philly. we would use the line your to casual for tonight. We turned away a ton of people. but will filled to compacity every weekend. Always had good people and very little problems

i remember back in the day you couldnt get into 32 degrees with jeans on
    Last edited by gixxerboy1; 07-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    Yeah, but the problem is most Blacks and douchebags dress like that so the dumbasses call racism.

I call common sense but then again, I do realise common sense is an ever elusive creature these days.
    Most blacks don't dress like that....bad stereotype.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post

"MOST" ??

it's just their experience in the area they are in..

the word is subjective..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    true the word is subjective. but it wasn't prefaced with "in my experience" or "from what I've seen". He made a blanket comment stating that "most blacks dress like that", that fact remains it's an untrue statement.

ModelInProgress is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Exactly! The percentage of blacks that actually perpetuate the stereotype as portrayed mainly in the entertainment industry (and the news from time to time) is relatively small. Most black people dress and act like decent human beings and are only interested in providing for their family the same as everyone else. If someone actually believes that all or even most black people act or look like the ones that are on the street corners of impoverished neighborhoods or in music videos and movies, they are grossly misinformed (to say the least).

On the topic of the dress code for nightclubs...there is nothing wrong with having a dress code. People frequent clubs that cater to the class and/or type of people that are either like themselves or they enjoy being around. I wouldn't want to be around sloppily dressed people who look like they are uneducated and/or prone to violence (regardless of the amount of melanin in their skin).
    Last edited by ModelInProgress; 03-17-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

old-grunt11series is offline New Member
    I was stationed in KS and went to bars from Manhattan to Lawrence to KCity and they are pretty lame compared to the places in SF and San Diego. I agree that the business owner is stereotyping by fashion .there are alot of white folks in KCity dress like Jaime Kennedy in"don't be a menace" and look foolish. Should not matter what the skin color is.
    If the business owner is supporting Racism by enforcing the dress codes on people of color and not whites then he does not deserve your $$$.
    Being from the military I learned fools come in ALL colors.My squad was made up of Hispanics, whites,blacks and Asians and we all got along great because the Army picked out our clothes for us.lol
    The guys wearing "hood wear" or "kick it" clothes should realize that's all good going to the movies but try wearing a nice Ralph Lauren suit or Armani to the club and see what happens.

Thread Information