BlInDsIdE is offline "ARs Most Dangerous Member"

Arizona passes law that bans protestors at shooting victims funerals

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/u...helps?_s=PM:US

I support freedom of speech but if you've never seen the Westboro Baptist Church in action protesting the funerals of Soldiers killed in combat and people who've died of Aids then you have to wonder if more regulations should be passed. If you want to see the hurt they cause to grieving families you can see it on Youtube, IMO these families have been through so much and having to deal with these people is just plain WRONG. I'm ashamed as a nation we've allowed it to go on for so long.

Where do we draw the line without limiting freedom of speech. At the same time giving these parents the honor that their children deserve, from those brave souls and the little 9 year old girl slain a few days ago to the thousands of soldiers who died fighting in foreign countries for our freedom. I'm not familiar with most other states rules on the protesters but if the Arizona laws are very different ie 300 ft then I have to ask the question why don't the families of soldiers who give their lives for their country given the same respect and honor.

On another note is anyone here familiar with the freedom riders- a group of motorcycle riders (mostly vets) that makes an effort to attend any funeral being protested by the church to try and shield the grieving families and friends of the deceased from the incredibly vulgar and sometimes childish remarks from the church.

If anyone has any info on other state laws for the protesting I've had a hard time finding it and would love to see it. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by BlInDsIdE; 01-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    This is a very touchy issue. Where do we draw that line at free speech? I'm torn on this one. I think anyone should be allowed to say anything as long as they aren't disruptive to the public peace. I think the Westboro idiots should be allowed to protest, just as long as they aren't allowed to protest at the funeral. I've seen them at other funerals but they have been placed away from the funeral sites. Plus aren't gravesites private property? If they are, then freedom of speech laws don't apply, correct? Touchy, touchy, subject for sure.

Agreed a very touchy issue, I think theres been about 2 cases where near riots broke out and they were chased out of town. they get threatened with guns and even their children have been injured by things thrown at them but still they persist. I think its extermely important that our freedom of speech is not limited, but i also believe that there can be certain stipulations that are agreed upon by the vast majority of the population where it isn't ok. I'd say them nearly starting a riot and being chased out of several towns qualifies as disturbing the peace but again thats just MHO.

zabster151 is offline Member
    Im all for free speach, but a funeral should be kept privet. squabble about $hit later
    no respect..

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When the Westboro group came to Michigan they where allowed to protest at the soldiers funeral in a barricaded area away from the private memorial . At the same time the Freedom Riders MC where also allowed there free speech amendment . The MC club kept there bikes loud enough that the Westboro rants where never heard .

Not sure if that was the name of the MC or just what that group called themselves . I know they took care of business with no acts of violence .
    I thought the non violent solution gained less publicity for Westboro .

I believe the escalation of Freedom of speech question just gets them more media attention .

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    This is a very touchy issue. Where do we draw that line at free speech? I'm torn on this one. I think anyone should be allowed to say anything as long as they aren't disruptive to the public peace. I think the Westboro idiots should be allowed to protest, just as long as they aren't allowed to protest at the funeral. I've seen them at other funerals but they have been placed away from the funeral sites. Plus aren't gravesites private property? If they are, then freedom of speech laws don't apply, correct? Touchy, touchy, subject for sure.
    Yes, the Phelps family borders on the fringe of free speech. One has to remember they have been ran out of several communities throughout the years. Some were unconstitutional in nature, which is indeed a touchy subject. My family members ride in the Patriot Guard to help keep these zealots at a distance from the family of the fallen soldiers.

However the Phelps family has tap danced along a doctrine called the Harm Principle which states according to John Stuart Mill says that, "there ought to exist the fullest liberty of professing and discussing, as a matter of ethical conviction, any doctrine, however immoral it may be considered." As long as because of the speech that does not cause directly or indirectly harm to others in a physical or undo emotional manner. The undo emotional manner is in the US based on the Moral Standards of society at the time.

These people stand for nothing but hate, and use funerals to spread their message of their displeasure against homosexuality. In the past they have had other controversial stances on things. They simply use Military funerals as a media staging point to draw attention to themselves to further their agenda of hate. No more or no less, they simply want attention. And are very good at this point at getting it with protection of the Constitution of the United States that we all enjoy.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

i've seen videos where they're shouting horrible things at the families of fallen soldiers and at first i figured i would only feel hate but now i think i would probably just feel sorry for them. i just wonder if them being there violates the rights of the families and is a disturbance to the peace because often times then nearly start riots. while it all is just for attention its still sad IMO

clemont51 is offline Banned
    Protests are tasteless to say the least. However, once planted, no holds barred. Hence, there is a piss-in scheduled for Ted Kennedys gravesite. I'll keep you posted.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I lived in Kansas for 4 years and let me tell you, this church is wacked. I remeber driving down the street some days and they would be standing in front of funeral homes with signs full of hate speech and yelling loudly. They even have their kids join in on the fun which is even more sickening.

yeah i saw one where one of their kids was hit in the head with a bottle. its amazing that they would put small children like that in such dangerous situations, they were saying how they've had guns waved at them and things thrown. i would never put my kids in such a situation. some people....

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    A lot of people fail to realize that free speech wasn't intended to protect popular opinion, but rather the opposite. These people are wackos, but where do we draw the line. We do have freedom of speech, but we don't have freedom from consequence, so if something happens to these nutjobs, they brought it on themselves.

And since someone wants to stage a piss-in on Ted Kennedy's grave, I wonder how people would feel if someone staged a piss-in on Ronnie Reagans...just sayin...LOL!!!

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Last edited by warchild; 01-16-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I would beat the shit out of them

Public Enemy is offline Associate Member
    Freedom of speech was always limited. Go out in public and say that you will kill a politician or president and we will see how it turns out. Some girl on facebook was questioned and warned after supposable threatening GW. I think anybody who openly threatens to hurt someone should be held responsible. I also think that protesting at someones funeral is retarded. There is a line on freedom of speech. You do not go out in the street and tell someone "hey I want to **** your daughter". Its about respect. Do not abuse your freedom of speech. Be responsible.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They are a perfect example of why Free Speech is such a great thing.

You simply cannot take their right away to say and protest, no matter how twisted it is.

The second you take away "their rights", you are taking away everyones rights. It's a shame that Arizona have had to pass such a law, and I realise they are doing it out of the hugest respect for the victims families.

In the UK, every Friday you have a bunch of lunatics stand on a box, preaching Death to the West in London. It's sickening, but while they are in our part of the world, fanatics are always going to exploit the system for their own agenda. Unfortunately the Phelps family are American..

Thread Information