system admin is offline Owner

People collecting unemployment after 10 weeks

I think these people should be forced to check into their local unemployment office and 3 days a week and put in 8 hours doing one or all of the following:

Cleaning the city

Building roads

Painting buildings

Serving the homeless

Serving the food banks

taking care of the parks

or ANY other things the tax payers PAY to have done.

I wonder how long these people will clean toilets at the local parks or help shovel gravel on the streets before they go get a real job? Not only that, how many of these people would show up on time?

Put that in place and see how fast we lose people on the dole!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    busy work is good for those milking the system, and it may help clean the streets. however, someone needs to be hirred to manage these people.

additionally, these moneys are funded by employers only, NOT the taxpayer

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    busy work is good for those milking the system, and it may help clean the streets. however, someone needs to be hirred to manage these people.

additionally, these moneys are funded by employers only, NOT the taxpayer
    Right on. But I do agree with OP's idea if the person is on unemployment AND collecting food stamps. They should have to do something to earn our money. Hell, make them dig random holes and fill them back up with dirt in the woods..

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Agreed
    But not everyone claming benifits wants to be unemployed. Its sad times we are living in at the moment not just for the states but also europe look at the state of unemployment in greece.
    There is always people who know how to play the system and that is the people that should be targted but never are.
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

GREAT! It would create more jobs in the process (although it would be government jobs and they would probably make 75k a year and get a massive pension!!!!! haha) and we can make these people EARN the money the receive. Not only that, im sure these guys would find a burger king job real quick before they pick up trash all day OR they simply would be "fired" from receiving these checks for not showing up to "work"

It would weed out the bums real fast.

Are you saying employers are not tax payers? Im confused?

Quote Originally Posted by stocky121 View Post
    Agreed
    But not everyone claming benifits wants to be unemployed. Its sad times we are living in at the moment not just for the states but also europe look at the state of unemployment in greece.
    There is always people who know how to play the system and that is the people that should be targted but never are.
    Thats why I say you give them 10 weeks and only make them show up 3 days a week. It does not prevent them from finding work. They have 4 days out of the week to find work. It will however make them DO something to collect money AND it would be doing something for the city. Its NOT a punishment, its being responsible.

DanB is offline Banned
    Ok I agree with system admin opinion, but does this still apply to people who WANT and NEED to work but cannot?

Here in Ireland we thrived off the building trade, I made 100k my year 19-20, it was false ecomony, banks collappsed, government bailed them out, governemnt went broke

Now Ireland has a nation of tradesmen with 1-30yr experience and CANNOT get work, it isnt out there, friends bought houses at 21-22 for 500k and 2k a month mortgage, at the time it was a easily affordable, now they lucky to earn 600euro a week and their house is worth 270-280k

I am entitled to every benefit under the sun but claim none, but any Irishman who has worked and is out of work due to our Governemnt bankrupting the country should claim for every cent they can get

Niw what my problrm is the fvcking Nigerians, Indians, Pakistanians who who 0 intention of ever wprking, they come here to claim asylum, no intention of working, they CANNOT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH and are taking money from a BANKRUPT country who was bailed out TWICE by the IMF

They are entitled to far more benefits then me, an Irishman who paid taxes, they are intitled to more then an Irish single mothr who needs money to raise her child

They come here to seek asylum but if they become pregnant while here, then it givs the mother, father and child automatic Irish citizienship, so guess what? they begin to have kids like fvcking rabbits to claim more money

So you think ytour system is fvcked? just count yourselvs lucky that you are and will never will hav anything to to with the poxy fvcking European Union

Swifto, Marcus, Matt, SteM, Stocky, all UK memebrs so similar suitation over thre, do you disagree with any of the above? only difference is I think the Indians can use a ''student visa'' or something to gt into you, but our dole (benefits) is 4x's mor then you per week most of the time so we get majority of the sp[onging fvckerd

And the Romanians who move here to spend their day begging then go home to their council house with a council grant when they move in so kitted out with decent furnishings, and the same council house if I bothered to apply would take me minimuim 20yrs to qualiify for and Im fvcking Irish but they get it within weeks since they ''high risk''

Ah here I could turn this into a major protest nevermind rant, but mabey it not the intended direction for thread so I'll edit it all out if anybody asks me to, but UK people, tell me this, is anything I said above wrong or even exaggeratted?

I'm more concerned about career welfare recipients

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I'm more concerned about career welfare recipients
    Got plenty of those around me. Many of them will sell their food stamps at 50 cents on the dollar to get cash.

And I agree that there would be fewer collecting benefits if they were asked to do manual labor for them.

It'll never happen though. Look at all the people up in arms in the states trying to require drug testing to receive welfare.

That is my point. People were asked while standing in an unemployment line to collect their checks: Have you looked for work?

They all answered, "there is NO work" A survey was done and within several blocks of the office, there were over 20 businesses hiring!!!

THAT is the norm around the US. Its probably a lot different in other countries, but here, its over flowing with LAZY people who are working the system. And why wouldnt they? The govt does it freely and without regulation on it. I have friends who WORK and make LESS than the people who collect these checks! ridiculous.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by system admin View Post
    Thats why I say you give them 10 weeks and only make them show up 3 days a week. It does not prevent them from finding work. They have 4 days out of the week to find work. It will however make them DO something to collect money AND it would be doing something for the city. Its NOT a punishment, its being responsible.
    i do agree they should do something. I think 3 days may be to much if they are week days. Lets face most jobs dont interview or arent open on the weekends. I have no issue making them work on the weekend leaving the weekdays to look for a job.

That is my point. People were asked while standing in an unemployment line to collect their checks: Have you looked for work?

They all answered, "there is NO work" A survey was done and within several blocks of the office, there were over 20 businesses hiring!!!

THAT is the norm around the US. Its probably a lot different in other countries, but here, its over flowing with LAZY people who are working the system. And why wouldnt they? The govt does it freely and without regulation on it. I have friends who WORK and make LESS than the people who collect these checks! ridiculous.
    Really depends. I was laid off last month. I applied for unemployment. The max i could receive in my state is $275 a week. So no i dont see any legitimate people milking that. That wouldnt pay my rent. and i would still have other bills and need to eat. So i cant imagine many people staying on longer then they can. It isnt possible to live.
    Now i did find something before i ever collected a dollar. And i do agree alot of places are hiring. But some pay so little you cant afford to take it either. One place i went for an interview wanted an experience manager. Got to the interview they were paying $10 an hour. Really?
    Also so many people do apply it is hard to get a job or even an interview sometimes.
    About this time last year a strip bar was re opening after being closed for a few years. So they were hiring for everything. Dancers/ bartenders/ securrity/ kitchen. They had over 3000 people apply.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    oh and you can collect partial if you work part time. So even if i got a part time job and made $300 a week. That would have been to much an i would have lost my unemployment.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

I don't necessarily agree with everything you just said. I've been on unemployment for awhile since coming back from Afghanistan.

So let's look at my situation.
    Yes, there are companies hiring. But what type of jobs are they?
    My mortgage is $2k/mo
    Utilities are $300 - ele
    Food is $750/mo

so before I go any further, just right there is $3k. If i were to continue, and add in insurances, communication, gasoline, etc, i'd be at $5k/mo in expenses.

Now my unemployment benefits come from DC. they total $1,400/mo.
    obviously, I'm hitting savings to stay afloat.

Again, what type of jobs ARE hiring right now?

Are you suggesting I take a job making $30k a year, and stop paying my mortgage, etc.?

Or should I continue to be selective where i look for work?

There are alot of members on this board that are on unemployment, through no fault of their own, and using the word "Lazy" will rumple feathers.

So yes, i couuld take the $30k/year job, ditch my house, find a shit hole to move my family into, and file bankruptcy.

Or, I can continue taking employer funded unemployment benefits, and continue to be selective where i look for work, and eventually, I will find work that will cover my living expenses.

This is NOT a function of lazy. This economy HAS shrunk, and right now, we have a surplus of labor.

Wazz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stocky121 View Post
    Agreed
    Well said. I do get comfort in knowing the honest person still keeps their home & the money (after all) does go right back into the economy.

Now, the 100k+ a year guy turning down a 60K a year job because "it's not good enough" should get slapped, but most still have the right to turn down these jobs......... System= broke

Quote Originally Posted by Wazz View Post
    Well said. I do get comfort in knowing the honest person still keeps their home & the money (after all) does go right back into the economy.

Now, the 100k+ a year guy turning down a 60K a year job because "it's not good enough" should get slapped, but most still have the right to turn down these jobs......... System= broke
    don't be so judgemental. I should be slapped? Really?

My overhead alone comes to $60k+ a year. So i'm supposed to take a job with negative cash flows (net) and slowly go into bankruptcy? or should i just stop paying my mortgage?

It's all relative mate. Just cause you don't make $100k+ doesn't mean that those that do are rolling in surplus income because of it.

This economy has hit us all hard.

Judge not lest YOU be judged!

like i said i agree with you but i think 3 days is a bit much but people should contribute to the community. But people still find it hard to find jobs i carnt speek first hand but i can speek second hand because in 1993 my father was made redundent he was a coal miner and had been since he left school at 15. So when our then conservative govenment decided to shut most of the collieries my father was left unemployed and couldent get work because of lack of experiance doing anything else as it was all he had done since he left school. he was unemployed for just over 2 years and times was hard but we all made sacrifices untill he found work in a factory. Now becuase of the harsh time he spent underground he was a wealth of problems vibration white finger, carpal tunnel in both wrists, no cartilage in both knees and severe spinal problems. also the fact he has had three heart attacks he is classed as dissabled and is only 56 and will never work again. But now our new conservative govenment is now trying to take the majority off incapacity benefit including my father. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19418990 if anyone would like a look.
    this is harsh times we are living in and like i said before there will be always people who want cheat the system
    no open source posting

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Ok I agree with system admin opinion, but does this still apply to people who WANT and NEED to work but cannot?

Here in Ireland we thrived off the building trade, I made 100k my year 19-20, it was false ecomony, banks collappsed, government bailed them out, governemnt went broke

Now Ireland has a nation of tradesmen with 1-30yr experience and CANNOT get work, it isnt out there, friends bought houses at 21-22 for 500k and 2k a month mortgage, at the time it was a easily affordable, now they lucky to earn 600euro a week and their house is worth 270-280k

I am entitled to every benefit under the sun but claim none, but any Irishman who has worked and is out of work due to our Governemnt bankrupting the country should claim for every cent they can get

Niw what my problrm is the fvcking Nigerians, Indians, Pakistanians who who 0 intention of ever wprking, they come here to claim asylum, no intention of working, they CANNOT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH and are taking money from a BANKRUPT country who was bailed out TWICE by the IMF

They are entitled to far more benefits then me, an Irishman who paid taxes, they are intitled to more then an Irish single mothr who needs money to raise her child

They come here to seek asylum but if they become pregnant while here, then it givs the mother, father and child automatic Irish citizienship, so guess what? they begin to have kids like fvcking rabbits to claim more money

So you think ytour system is fvcked? just count yourselvs lucky that you are and will never will hav anything to to with the poxy fvcking European Union

Swifto, Marcus, Matt, SteM, Stocky, all UK memebrs so similar suitation over thre, do you disagree with any of the above? only difference is I think the Indians can use a ''student visa'' or something to gt into you, but our dole (benefits) is 4x's mor then you per week most of the time so we get majority of the sp[onging fvckerd

And the Romanians who move here to spend their day begging then go home to their council house with a council grant when they move in so kitted out with decent furnishings, and the same council house if I bothered to apply would take me minimuim 20yrs to qualiify for and Im fvcking Irish but they get it within weeks since they ''high risk''

Ah here I could turn this into a major protest nevermind rant, but mabey it not the intended direction for thread so I'll edit it all out if anybody asks me to, but UK people, tell me this, is anything I said above wrong or even exaggeratted?

agreed and not exaggerated
    no open source posting

detailed detection times

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

I should have set the stage a bit more clear. I am talking about guys who look like BUMS in the unemployment line that wrapped around the corner and when asked if they were looking for jobs, they said no, there are not any. These people were not looking for a job. They just wanted the hand outs. There is a big difference between people who are truly looking for work and people who are milking the system.

I have to admit that when I talk about this particular subject, I am not referring to those who were fired from good jobs or those of you who have just come from serving our country. Those of you are the people who have PROVEN yourselves and have PAID into the tax system for many years. Look at the others who are over taking the system. These people have NO desire to get off the dole

Wazz is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    don't be so judgemental. I should be slapped? Really?

My overhead alone comes to $60k+ a year. So i'm supposed to take a job with negative cash flows (net) and slowly go into bankruptcy? or should i just stop paying my mortgage?

It's all relative mate. Just cause you don't make $100k+ doesn't mean that those that do are rolling in surplus income because of it.

This economy has hit us all hard.

Judge not lest YOU be judged!
    LOL, this wasn't directly meant for all... My 2nd Brother-in-law (WA state) used to make just over 110K (before taxes) a year, WE built his home some 15 years ago (no mortgage), He has no unsecured debt (I'm aware of, & tells everyone). Lives on the usual utility & insurance bills (old auto collector), & has had many, many jobs offered to him at 50-67k a year & refuses to take them? He is unwilling to accept the job even though its more $$ than he receives from unemployment. He should be slapped, but he acts "above" everyone else & doesn't hesitate to let them know.

So with a little humour, & an apology for not being clear & concise, this is more of what I was refering too. He isn't the only one. Now, Why turn down a 60K a year job if Unemployment is not paying anything near that, would that not eat up less savings while continuing to look for a better job. I know thats how most everyone starts out, you work somewhere & make X amount & move up..

As for not being judgmental, as to my income & the "just because I don't make 100K a year". I'm now 35, retired, & have a permanent untouchable income (so long as the world doesn't end) of well into 6 figures. I live extremely well, might not be for another 10-15 years, but nothing I can do (unless medicine & miracles happen). , Everyday from here out is mine..... Sorry if offended, the 60K turn-down wasn't directed at you.

Wazz

Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    I should have set the stage a bit more clear. I am talking about guys who look like BUMS in the unemployment line that wrapped around the corner and when asked if they were looking for jobs, they said no, there are not any. These people were not looking for a job. They just wanted the hand outs. There is a big difference between people who are truly looking for work and people who are milking the system.

I have to admit that when I talk about this particular subject, I am not referring to those who were fired from good jobs or those of you who have just come from serving our country. Those of you are the people who have PROVEN yourselves and have PAID into the tax system for many years. Look at the others who are over taking the system. These people have NO desire to get off the dole
    i know what your saying BC my girlfriends mams next door naighbours dont work thay have 5 children thay both smoke as do the oldest children. Now 20 cigarets cost around £7 a packet and thay must go through at least two packs a day so thats nearly £100 a week. Also thay have been on holiday this year to turkey for a week all this while claimming benifits. now me and my girlfriend have not been away on holiday for two years as we were saving up to put a deposit on a house.
    Why do people claim benfits because it dont pay them to work.
    Last edited by stocky121; 10-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    no open source posting

detailed detection times

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Stocky, that is EXACTLY the thing I dont get. While others are busting their butts for money that hardly pays the bills, they do nothing, collect money, have cell phones, smoke fags , go on trips, hang out all day.... with ZERO motivation or reason to work for what they get. The system is broken.

60k a year when you used to make 100k is still a lot more than what the govt will give you right? Why wouldnt they take the job?

well i was going to say smoking fags but i thought it would interapted as homosexual slang haha
    yeah untill each of our govenments put a stop to it people will exploit the system for there own ends only trouble is our govenment is just targeting everyone because thay are incompatent.
    no open source posting

detailed detection times

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    In the UK, someone part time is not considered part of the "employed" percentage.

I work part time, as a delivery driver. Every week I sign up for overtime as my usual contract is 25 hours a week and I do what I can to get that extra 15-20 hours. I also do lots of voluntary work on top of this, this is mainly to help improve my CV as I want to get into Ecological or Environmental Consultancy, and all the voluntary work is experience. Plus I like the voluntary work, it's enjoyable.

I do all this, and there's still not much work out there (in my related fields). It does my head in when you get these people just collecting benefit after benefit. Yeah im aware that some people might have legit reasons like having a disability, or being a single parent, but id wager thats a small percentage of the people that are claiming.

I've never claimed in my life and im not about to start now.

But I dont like the system as it is. I dont like the system that rewards the lazy, but it's the same system that states "okay, you worked hard at school, but now we want you to work a little harder and work for free before we give you a paid job". Seriously, what kind of system is that in a democratic society.

I know a few who come out AHEAD of others who have shitty jobs, by collecting all of the benefits "given" to them by our government. Although I find them to have no pride, why would they work if they can come out ahead by being a bum

Thread Information