DB1982 is offline Member

Australia Gun Law update.

I just ran across this and thought I'd post it. Take from it what you will.

Hi all, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, so the criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Lol many of us have taken note and try to fight this garbage. This is proof that gun control is bullsh!t

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Very interesting read DB! Im aussie and didnt even know those statistics and how the outcome of gun control was heading.

I guess criminals are getting smarter, but than again it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to know what has been stated here.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Only honest people would give up their guns if told they had to. Clearly criminals have more of an advantage now shown by those stats.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    Very interesting read DB! Im aussie and didnt even know those statistics and how the outcome of gun control was heading.

I guess criminals are getting smarter, but than again it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to know what has been stated here.
    X2 if I was a criminal these laws would only being me comfort, why the hell would they give up their guns to?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Now you know why we Americans are fighting so hard not to let this happen to us and get so angry at the current administration for trying to do the same here.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Are you sure this is current? The government did a buy back in like 1998 whats the date for this article?

Very rarely do we have random killing sprees that you americans have. Most murders are passion crimes man kills his wife etc. And the rest are drug dealers killing each other. So those stats can only be used with a grain of salt. And that 300% rise in victoria. I really surjest you watch the tv drama underbelly because that was set in victoria and it was about drug dealers killing each other. 30 something people killed such a good show and a true story. That explains the rise for that maybe
    Last edited by Euroholic; 02-15-2013 at 08:04 AM.

DB1982 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Very rarely do we have random killing sprees that you americans have. Most murders are passion crimes man kills his wife etc. And the rest are drug dealers killing each other. So those stats can only be used with a grain of salt. And that 300% rise in victoria. I really surjest you watch the tv drama underbelly because that was set in victoria and it was about drug dealers killing each other. 30 something people killed such a good show and a true story. That explains the rise for that maybe
    I don't know how current or accurate the article is. I stubbled and it was an interesting read.

Also the mass murders you hear about through the news are not as common as you perceive .
    Most of our murders are the same as yours . crimes of passion n thugs killing other thugs.

BR0DIE is offline Associate Member
    Then how would you explain the UK? We have no guns or any weapons available to us and yet gun crime is negligible. I've never seen a gun in real life, never heard of anyone getting shot and our murder rates are tiny when compared to the US even when population is accounted for.

However I don't like the way the US government seems to be trying to disarm the population, I reckon you need them to protect yourselfs from your own government more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    I don't know how current or accurate the article is. I stubbled and it was an interesting read.

Also the mass murders you hear about through the news are not as common as you perceive .
    Most of our murders are the same as yours . crimes of passion n thugs killing other thugs.

I understand that as a hole of the gun death violence mass killings are only a small stat. But i can think of at least 3 shootings with in the last 6 months. That kid at the school. That guy at the movie cinema and that black cop. And i went to new york city over christmas/new year and i think it was 2 or 3 cops got shot while i was there. Thats just madness to me. A few years ago a cop got killed on the gold coast so the gOvernment brought in all these new coppers and helicopters and police dogs etc to make the public feel safer.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    I understand that as a hole of the gun death violence mass killings are only a small stat. But i can think of at least 3 shootings with in the last 6 months. That kid at the school. That guy at the movie cinema and that black cop. And i went to new york city over christmas/new year and i think it was 2 or 3 cops got shot while i was there. Thats just madness to me. A few years ago a cop got killed on the gold coast so the gOvernment brought in all these new coppers and helicopters and police dogs etc to make the public feel safer.
    I wonder how many more were killed during the same time frame with knives, blunt instruments, or hell even a vehicle used as a weapon, that never made the news broadcasts, front page of the paper or the Sunday morning talk shows. The victims killed via "other weapons" are just as dead as those killed with a gun.

ElectraMaddox is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Only honest people would give up their guns if told they had to. Clearly criminals have more of an advantage now shown by those stats.
    I'm an honest person and if I had a gun at my place I wouldn't have turned it it because that common sense.. If everyone is being forced to do that of course the bad ones are going to take advantage of that. I actually think I would have purchased a gun if things were heading that way.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I got a 12ga with 3 1/2 inch mag by my bed.You break in you will be there when the police arrive.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    I got a 12ga with 3 1/2 inch mag by my bed.You break in you will be there when the police arrive.
    I have one of those too...along with a loaded .357 secured right under my mattress. I am 911 at my place.

DB1982 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post

I have one of those too...along with a loaded .357 secured right under my mattress. I am 911 at my place.
    I have no house phone. And my cell phones unlock pattern is far to difficult when awoken suddenly.

So it looks like I'll go RAMBO style on the bad guys.

6.8 SPC AR-15 with a night optic scope
    And a dozen or so of those pesky 30rd clips ( Far easier to load then to unlock my cell phone).

Thread Information