Chango62 is offline New Member

Skinny 47 yo kid

I would like to start a thread on what skinny, old guys do to look and feel better; and, of course, looking for some quick advice from the forum for personal reasons.

I'm a young looking (some think) 47 yo that has worked out throughout my life trying to bulk up and have a body that is close to the average. A great benefit of working out has been staying fit, yet the physical, outward appearance has been pretty much a plateau with some happy gains here and there. I'm talking being 105 lbs throughout HS and college with a final gain to 120 in my mid 30's. Now in my 40's, I am finally hitting towards 145-150 at 5'7" height. I like the extra weight, yet being forty plus, it quickly goes right to the belly and no matter how much more I lift, muscle gain is at a much slower rate. Getting rid of the body fat helps cholesterol levels, yet it is hard to keep the muscles fed for increased size; so being thin, sinuous may be healthy, it is far from being visually appealing. This can be as frustrating as being overweight and needing to regain that youthful physique - for me, having a body that won't bulk up nicely is equally frustrating....not to mention that I'm not happy having this wonderful extra weight and not being able to tap it's potential. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome CHANGE!

Best thing you could do? Start an entirely new thread in the DIET QUESTION FORUM. Explain all above and the members will get you to where you want to go. I promise.

See ya there! ( We all end up there sooner or later so you are ahead of the game...)
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Will do! But I would also like to ask what other skinny guys experiences have been with starting steroids after diet and exercise are properly placed?

stpete is offline Banned
    Well the diet section would be the place to start for that as well. Good luck to you!!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Chango62 View Post
    Will do! But I would also like to ask what other skinny guys experiences have been with starting steroids after diet and exercise are properly placed?
    Once diet and training are in place it is a lot easier to maintain gains. And if not? Will not last.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thanks so much for all the good advice. Now I am off to store to buy some new food!

Strongarm5791 is offline New Member
    "Slimmer Me" hit the nail on the head. Diet is 80% of it. Good bodybuilding starts in the Kitchen.
    Good Luck!

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Looks like the heavy lifting has already been done in this thread (great advice all around)...so all I have to say is "welcome!"

dvusone is offline New Member
    Try looking at my old post called "Mass Cycle" in this section a few posts below. I was and still am in the same boat.Up to 155 now but that took a lot of work and like you not all of it went where I wanted it to go. Diet and a good training routine are the keys of course. Weight gains were impossible for so long, now in our 40's we are finally getting some but again they do not always go where we would like. Too little cardio and the fat builds up around my waist and low back, too much and I loose the materials I need to continue to gain muscle mass. My first cycle was a joke I had very little knowledge or understanding. That being said I picked up nearly 25 pounds of muscle from it. Of course I also successfully quit smoking just a few short weeks before the cycle, so it is difficult to clealry define how much of the gains came from the cycle alone.

We are never going to be that guy. You know the one people look at and think man he is huge. I am certain this site is full of these guys and let me be clear there is nothing wrong with the body builder look. For us success is measured in a different way. When friends and family see me for the first time since my gains they all say roughly the same thing. "You look great". For me that is the greatest compliment I can receive. I look in the mirror and I do not see the skinny kid any more, instead I see a proportional man that is able to keep up with both his kids during the day and still have something left for the wife after they go to bed. Being proud and comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life. Awesome! I do not know if you are considering a cycle or not, and I am still learning so without being asked I am not going to offer an opinion on it. Keep me informed of your progress or PM me. Perhaps sharring what works for each of us will help others who maybe in a simular place physically.
    Last edited by dvusone; 11-12-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Thread Information