harley121 is offline Associate Member

48 yrs old, need to change workout to avoid injury, pain- looking for information

I'm 48 yr old,(stats: 5'6", 174lb, 18%bf) have been bodybuilding, martial arts, etc. on and off my entire life, took years off in my 30's building a career/ business, family, etc.
    The last 2 years have gotten serious about body building but have had repeated injuries, pain- elbow/s- inside and outside elbow, shoulder and I just had an ing. hernia repaired this week and am recovering from that. I know that I need to change my routine from what I did 20 years ago and worked very well, have searched this forum and not found what I have been looking for in the way of in a new philosophy of bodybuilding without encountering these injuries once I start to see good gains. I respond very well to weight training from a muscular development standpoint, have a good diet (calc. TDEE, stick to it, etc.) but have been plagued w/ injuries- both major and minor things that have continued to set me back after a few months of good gains.
    Can anyone make any recommendations- either on here, a web link, a book, etc. that I can educate myself on to be able to see the results that I am looking for without continuing to end up with injuries?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Will do, thanks can I PM you?

Ok, reading about the TB500. In addition to that, here is what I have so far as far as general thought process and philosophy of my workouts- not getting a fvcking hernia or hurt whatever anymore. Please feel free to correct, add to or fix anything Im off on- no pride here. Just want to be able to train and not get hurt anymore
    So:
    - make sure to warm up better than I used to in my 20's
    - No reverse curls, palms up for anything bicep related
    - Less exercises per body part that you are working
    - I have always focused on proper form, but proper form
    What else?

Quote Originally Posted by harley121 View Post
    Ok, reading about the TB500. In addition to that, here is what I have so far as far as general thought process and philosophy of my workouts- not getting a fvcking hernia or hurt whatever anymore. Please feel free to correct, add to or fix anything Im off on- no pride here. Just want to be able to train and not get hurt anymore
    So:
    - make sure to warm up better than I used to in my 20's
    - No reverse curls, palms up for anything bicep related
    - Less exercises per body part that you are working
    - I have always focused on proper form, but proper form
    What else?
    a few years back, i was suffering moderate injury from the gym. My issue was i had not adjusted my work ethic ffrom when i was a kid either.

forget about "how heavy something is". of course, i track it, but i try not to stress about it. instead, i focus more on "slow motion" exercises. helps improve the mind/body connection. getting the full contraction and full range of motion, will mean you don't need that much weight. Lower weight means lower risk of injury.

the only thing I go heavy on (for me) is the bench. I have a target I'm trying to hit, and i hope i don't pay for my "ego" down the road. so far, shoulders seem to be holding up pretty good though.

now read this:

http://forums.steroid.com/lifting-te...f-article.html

and you'll get the idea of what I mean by "slow motion" exercising

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    go with vince gironda 8 X 8 you don't even have to lift heavy its amazing i have been on this for 2 months now and i got chronic back pain its a lot better but i will never squat deadlift or kill myself again lifting weights

Look it up and its free on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    go with vince gironda 8 X 8 you don't even have to lift heavy its amazing i have been on this for 2 months now and i got chronic back pain its a lot better but i will never squat deadlift or kill myself again lifting weights

Look it up and its free on the internet
    Ill check it out- thanks!

MRNJ1992 is offline Member
    Question Harley, are you on HRT? From personal experience-being on HRT, I tend to gain strength quickly. Been lifting for over 30 years. For me, as I become stronger I tend to up my weights weekly and almost always seem to feel strains in the muscles. We're not 20 anymore so I think you still want to push yourself as much as possible but not over due it. For example I would always finish up with 315lbs for 8 reps on final bench set. Then for days after I would have pain in the side pec area and shoulders. Now I will go up to 275lbs only. I know I can push more but again know what happens when I do. Try super setting. You'll have to go lighter but can get great results. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MRNJ1992 View Post
    Question Harley, are you on HRT? From personal experience-being on HRT, I tend to gain strength quickly. Been lifting for over 30 years. For me, as I become stronger I tend to up my weights weekly and almost always seem to feel strains in the muscles. We're not 20 anymore so I think you still want to push yourself as much as possible but not over due it. For example I would always finish up with 315lbs for 8 reps on final bench set. Then for days after I would have pain in the side pec area and shoulders. Now I will go up to 275lbs only. I know I can push more but again know what happens when I do. Try super setting. You'll have to go lighter but can get great results. Good luck
    I just added 100 rep workout now, and its cardio with a lot of capillary work bringing blood into the muscles, yes supersets, trisets there are tones of exercises to do, schemes and more, the gym i go to have hammer strength machines.

There was also serge nubret workout amazing, he never really lifted heavy went for reps.

Vince Gironda 8x8 Workout | Bodybuilding Workouts

Serge Nubret’s Old School Workout Routine

totally free HA

Nubret workout is insane you can split it up too, i do that, also mix and change muscles and exercises, i dont squat i use the hammer squat machine no pressure on back, lower back all in the legs.

Nubret had a sick physique even at 72 when he died.

GrahamG is offline New Member
    As a 50 year old trainer with aches and pains I started stronglifts 5x5 training 3 days a week.it starts very light but weight increases are rapid.Had great strength gains and a lot of my pains have gone. I was skeptical at first but it has really worked for me

Thread Information