BuzzardMarinePumper is offline Knowledge Member on Prostate Cancer
    Blog Entries

Had Left Hip Replacement in 2003 having same pains now in Right Hip ?

I do not run per orders of my Dr. . I do ride outside mountain bike converted to street in warm weather. I have tried to do leg sled and Squats seem to be out of the question ? I do calf raises seated and Quad extensions and feel a little hip pain even with light weight ?

Wondered if there is an exercise I can do that may strengthen the hip joint muscles and delay another major surgery and 2 to 4 mths of down time at 54 I have a very abused body and many medical issues to only be 54 so I would rather build the muscle than have another operation and not really anyone to care for me during rehab I for sure do not want to go in a nursing home at 54 and appearing healthy on the outside and feeling mentally better than I have in 15 years ? Seeking possibly someone who has had to make a decision like this ?

Thanks to anyone who will share experience with me ! Oh I am taking Omega 3's & MSM & 50 mg of Deca a week for joint pain; already due to other joint issues and Rumitiory Arthritis.

Sound off smart guys and tell me reality not what I really want to hear ? I am will to try anything besides surgery !

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    hey buzzard...

i haven't had a hip replacement yet, but i have had hip arthroscopy in 2010 to repair a torn labram and impingement. it was a good 2 years before i was back and pain free. my recent experience is somewhat mixed. after a motorcycle crash in august, i came back hard with a HIT workout on a 5 day split - legs once every 5 days:

4 working sets each of:
    leg press (can't do squats due to shoulder arthritis)
    dead lifts with hex bar
    hack squats
    lying leg curls
    seated leg curls
    calf press

the strength gains were incredible, but after 4 months of hard lifting i had developed hip flexor tendonitis on both sides. now i'm taking a step back and re-habbing. after seeing PT, she said i was not stretching enough. so my advice is simple. STRETCH. make sure you get enough rest between sessions, and take a break every 8 weeks. also... ibuprofin can really help with pain swelling.

btw, i'm looking to add deca to my supplements because i've heard good things.

good luck to you.

. my strength gains were incredible

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
    hey buzzard...

i haven't had a hip replacement yet, but i have had hip arthroscopy in 2010 to repair a torn labram and impingement. it was a good 2 years before i was back and pain free. my recent experience is somewhat mixed. after a motorcycle crash in august, i came back hard with a HIT workout on a 5 day split - legs once every 5 days:

4 working sets each of:
    leg press (can't do squats due to shoulder arthritis)
    dead lifts with hex bar
    hack squats
    lying leg curls
    seated leg curls
    calf press

the strength gains were incredible, but after 4 months of hard lifting i had developed hip flexor tendonitis on both sides. now i'm taking a step back and re-habbing. after seeing PT, she said i was not stretching enough. so my advice is simple. STRETCH. make sure you get enough rest between sessions, and take a break every 8 weeks. also... ibuprofin can really help with pain swelling.

btw, i'm looking to add deca to my supplements because i've heard good things.

good luck to you.

. my strength gains were incredible
    Thanks man are you saying basiclly streatch and still do leg routine ? I already am on heavy pain meds Oxycotin & Oxycodone & Celebrex : I was ran over by a truck and told I would never walk again but try to still act like I am OK but 24/7 pain even on these meds !

Pease restate your suggestion with just suggested routine in detail because with a hip replacement streatching left to right is not recommended ?

Thanks for your interest and suggestion. I need a PT Pro to suggest something to me

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    ok... my simple point is that however you choose to lift is that you should make sure you stretch consistently and thoroughly and schedule plenty of rest days to allow healing.

Blog Entries
    OK thanks I get that now ? I am 100% disabled and have to plan my w/o's and bike riding and eating between elevation of my left leg that has blood clots and phlebitis. This is just to be able to train and do some needed errands I have tried to work some and get ulsers on my left legs and they can be set backs if I do not address them or even cause me to be hospitilized
    Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 02-24-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bump, please ! Come on younger than me guys ? Even older than me guys !
    Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 02-24-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information