Thread: Toremifene

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware

Toremifene

Many guys used it?

Ive heard its offers the gyno protection of tamoxifen coupled with the HPTA stimulation of clomid.

Its less hepatoxic than nolva and also better on the lipids.

Anyone got any research on it?

I found some 'unofficial' research based on a guys bloodwork who used it. (copied from another board)

Backround:

A lot of you know me. There was a time where I did a 10+ month cycle, combining 1-2 injectables with 1-2 orals at a time. That plus stimulant abuse kinda made me a little wacked, so I stopped everything and eventually fell off the bodybuilding path.

For almost 2 years following that neverending cycle, my LH and FSH were nil (<0.03 each), and my tesosterone was low as you could imagine. I actually began seeing an endocrinologist, to see if there was something they could do. (Read: I was hoping for TRT ). I actually thought my HPTA was truly ****ed for a while, so I almost gave up on recovery.

The endocrinologist ordered several sets of labs over a period of a couple months. I began seeing marked increases in LH/FSH. Mind you, this was still after 1 year + of being off any form of anabolic steroids . I would see something like .22/.30; then the next one would be .57/.63; 1.01/1.22; etc, etc. Finally he decided to do a clomiphene stimulation test. He gave me a 10 day supply of clomid, and I would take "baselines" on day 0, and test labs on day 10. LH, FSH, and Total Test were all ordered.

I had other plans...

I was given some Toremifene, and I would start that on day 0 for the 10 days instead of the Clomiphene. The blood was drawn in sets of 3, 15 minutes apart, because LH and FSH are pulsatile.

Day 0:

LH: 1.54, 1.51, 1.60 (mIU/ml)
    FSH: 2.20, 2.37, 2.79 (mIU/ml)
    Test: 250, 256, 264 (ng/dl)

Day 10:

LH: 2.43, 1.94, 1.54
    FSH: 3.65, 3.27, 3.92
    Test: 402, 418, 435

Needless to say I did not tell the endocrinologist that I swapped the Clomiphene pills for research grade toremifene. But he was very happy with the outcome of the labs.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    Im also wondering the same thing. Im also wondering its effects on IGF1 levels AS WELL AS its effect while using 19nor compounds. We all know about tamoxifen and that is increases PGR which increases the chances of metabolites from using 19nor compounds to bind too, as well as its negative effect on IGF1 levels.......Is toremafine different in that it can be used without these negatives????? MERC WHERE ARE U?
    Last edited by legobricks; 04-09-2008 at 06:36 PM.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    Bump, anyone?

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by legobricks View Post
    Bump, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68ss View Post
    anyone?
    Obviously no one... lol

bump on this

Flex-Appeal is offline Senior Member
    I'm bumping this old thread bc I need to know more on it. Strongly considering it for pct but was more info that I can not find. Quit being lazy people give me some info, I know im not the only one wondering

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    this came up in another thread today, small internet....LOL

well I missed it and only thing I found so far is les sides, les toxic, and better increase in LH but is it worth the price increase? I suppose I just have to order it and try it, apparently not many have tried it

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex-Appeal View Post
    well I missed it and only thing I found so far is les sides, les toxic, and better increase in LH but is it worth the price increase? I suppose I just have to order it and try it, apparently not many have tried it
    DECA and TEST Question

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    USE IT!

Fertil Steril. 2007 Oct;88(4):847-53. Epub 2007 Apr 6. Links

The beneficial effects of toremifene administration on the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis and sperm parameters in men with idiopathic oligozoospermia.

Farmakiotis D, Farmakis C, Rousso D, Kourtis A, Katsikis I, Panidis D.
    Division of Endocrinology and Human Reproduction, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate whether toremifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), has a beneficiary effect on all three main sperm parameters. DESIGN: Prospective interventional clinical study. SETTING: University hospital. PATIENT(S): One-hundred subfertile men with idiopathic oligozospermia. INTERVENTION(S): Toremifene (60 mg daily) was administered to all men for 3 months. At baseline and at the end of each month, serum concentrations of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), testosterone , inhibin B, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) were measured. At baseline and at the end, semen analysis was performed and sperm concentration, spermatozoal motility and normal sperm forms were determined. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Gonadotropin, testosterone, inhibin-B levels, total sperm count, sperm morphology and motility. RESULT(S): Toremifene administration resulted in a significant increase in FSH, testosterone, SHBG, and inhibin B levels, as well as in sperm concentration, percentage motility and normal sperm forms. Twenty-two men's partners achieved pregnancy within 2 months of the end of treatment. At the end of the third month, serum FSH levels were significantly higher in the men whose partners did not achieve pregnancy, and total sperm count and normal sperm forms were significantly lower compared with the group of men whose partners achieved pregnancy. CONCLUSION(S): Toremifene administration for a period of 3 months in men with idiopathic oligozoospermia is associated with significant improvements of sperm count, motility, and morphology, mediated by increased gonadotropin secretion and possibly a direct beneficial effect of toremifene on the testes. The above findings are also indicative of a better testicular exocrine (improved sperm parameters) response to treatment in men whose partners achieved pregnancy compared with those who did not. Further randomized, placebo-controlled trials should be conducted to determine whether this particular selective estrogen

http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/For...e&pagenumber=1

Users report faster HPTA restoration (than Clomid), little no emotional sides (Clomid) and are less hptatoxic (Tamoxifen ).
    Last edited by Swifto; 11-04-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Full paper:

The beneficial effects of toremifene administration on the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis and sperm parameters in men with idiopathic oligozoospermia

Dimitrios Farmakiotis M.D.a, Christos Farmakis M.D.a, David Rousso M.D.a, Anargyros Kourtis M.D.Corresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Ilias Katsikis M.D.a and Dimitrios Panidis M.D., Ph.D.a
    aDivision of Endocrinology and Human Reproduction, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
    Received 8 August 2006; revised 22 December 2006; accepted 22 December 2006. Available online 6 April 2007.

Objective

To evaluate whether toremifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), has a beneficiary effect on all three main sperm parameters.
    Design

Prospective interventional clinical study.
    Setting

University hospital.
    Patient(s)

One-hundred subfertile men with idiopathic oligozospermia.
    Intervention(s)

Toremifene (60 mg daily) was administered to all men for 3 months. At baseline and at the end of each month, serum concentrations of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), testosterone , inhibin B, and sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG) were measured. At baseline and at the end, semen analysis was performed and sperm concentration, spermatozoal motility and normal sperm forms were determined.
    Main Outcome Measure(s)

Gonadotropin, testosterone, inhibin-B levels, total sperm count, sperm morphology and motility.
    Result(s)

Toremifene administration resulted in a significant increase in FSH, testosterone, SHBG, and inhibin B levels, as well as in sperm concentration, percentage motility and normal sperm forms. Twenty-two men's partners achieved pregnancy within 2 months of the end of treatment. At the end of the third month, serum FSH levels were significantly higher in the men whose partners did not achieve pregnancy, and total sperm count and normal sperm forms were significantly lower compared with the group of men whose partners achieved pregnancy.
    Conclusion(s)

Toremifene administration for a period of 3 months in men with idiopathic oligozoospermia is associated with significant improvements of sperm count, motility, and morphology, mediated by increased gonadotropin secretion and possibly a direct beneficial effect of toremifene on the testes. The above findings are also indicative of a better testicular exocrine (improved sperm parameters) response to treatment in men whose partners achieved pregnancy compared with those who did not. Further randomized, placebo-controlled trials should be conducted to determine whether this particular selective estrogen receptor modulator can be useful as an initial approach in men with oligozoospermia.

Key Words: Toremifene; oligozoospermia; male infertility; SERM

Article Outline

Materials and methods

Patients
    Study Protocol
    Hormonal Measurements
    Semen Analysis
    Statistical Analysis

Results

Effect of Treatment
    Differences between Men Whose Partners Achieved Pregnancy and Those Whose Partners Did Not

Discussion
    References

A selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) is a compound that can act as an estrogen agonist or antagonist, depending on the specific target tissue (1). At present, four SERMs are approved for clinical use: clomiphene, raloxifene, tamoxifen , and toremifene. Three of these compounds belong to the triphenylethylene family: clomifene, tamoxifen, and toremifene. Raloxifene belongs to the benzothiophene family (2).

Most of the unique pharmacology of SERMs can be explained by three interactive mechanisms. The first is differential estrogen-receptor expression in a given target tissue. The second consists of the differential estrogen-receptor conformation on ligand binding. The third is the differential expression and binding to the estrogen receptor of coregulator proteins (3).

In women, at least three SERMs have been shown to increase circulating levels of gonadotropin. The exact mechanism for this effect is based on the estrogen antagonistic properties of SERMs at the hypothalamic and pituitary level (4). In addition, SERMs have been shown to increase sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG) levels, which can be attributed to the estrogen agonist activity of SERMs in the liver (2) and (3).

There have been relatively few studies of SERMs in males. Clomiphene citrate and tamoxifen have been proposed for the management of male factor infertility (1). Tamoxifen citrate was introduced 30 years ago as an empiric treatment for idiopathic oligozoospermia because of its stimulatory action on gonadotropin secretion and its postulated direct effects on Leydig cell function and 5α-dihydrotestosterone production in seminiferous tubules and epididymis (5). The main effect of tamoxifen on spermatogenesis is stimulatory, resulting in a twofold increase in spermatozoa concentration. Such an increase in spermatozoa concentration may be important because a change of this magnitude at the low range of spermatozoa concentrations found in oligozoospermic men has been associated with disproportionately higher fecundity. However, this particular SERM has not been shown to induce any marked changes in motility and morphology (6) and (7).

The effect of treatment with tamoxifen citrate on cumulative achievement of pregnancy over a long period of time is similar to that of assisted reproductive techniques (ART) (8) and (9). On the basis of these results (6), (10) and (11), tamoxifen citrate was proposed by a World Health Organization working committee as the first line of treatment for idiopathic oligozoospermia (12).

Because tamoxifen increases spermatozoa concentration but has no marked effect on spermatozoa motility and morphology, this study was designed to evaluate whether another SERM, toremifene, has a beneficiary effect on all three main semen parameters. To the best of our knowledge, no previous data have been reported concerning the effect of this specific SERM on the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis and semen parameters in men with idiopathic abnormalities in one or more of the three main semen parameters.
    Materials and methods
    Patients

One hundred subfertile men with idiopathic oligozoospermia, mean (± SEM) age 20 to 47 years (33.53 ± 0.5 years), were consecutively recruited from the fertility center of our department. All of the men were characterized as subfertile because they had been unsuccessful in achieving pregnancy with their partners for 12 months, although their partners did not show any of the known causes of female subfertility.

Idiopathic oligozoospermia was defined as quantitative and/or qualitative aberrations of sperm variables according to World Health Organization criteria (12). Men with known or demonstrable causes of oligozoospermia (varicocele, infections, autoimmunity, stress, chromosomal abnormalities, environmental factors, or epididymitis) were excluded.

Careful clinical examination showed that all of the men had complete development of the secondary sex characteristics, with a mean (± SEM) right testicular volume of 18.45 ± 0.39 cm3 and mean (± SEM) left testicular volume 17.80 ± 0.41 cm3 (mean testicular volume 18.14 ± 0.39 cm3). Total testicular volume was assessed by comparison with a standard value on orchidometry. None of the men had received any medication during the 6-month period preceding the study.
    Study Protocol

All of the men received toremifene as monotherapy at a dose of 60 mg daily for a period of 3 months. At baseline, and at the end of the first, second, and third month of treatment, blood samples were collected at 9 am after an overnight fast.

All samples were centrifuged immediately, and serum was stored at −70°C until assayed for FSH, testosterone, inhibin B, and SHBG. Sperm was examined at baseline and at the end of the third month of treatment. All participants were properly informed about the purpose of the study and gave informed written consent. The study was approved by the ethics committee of the hospital.
    Hormonal Measurements

We measured FSH (IU/L) using the FSH IRMA kits from Biosource Technologies (Vacaville, CA). Total testosterone (ng/dL) was measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA; testosterone enzyme immunoassay test kit, LI7603; Linear Chemicals). The serum levels of SHBG (nmol/L) were measured by ELISA (SHBG ELISA, MX 520 11; IBL, Hamburg, Germany). Inhibin B levels were measured using ELISA kits from Oxford Bio Innovation DSL Ltd (Upper Heyford, Bicester, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom).
    Semen Analysis

Semen was collected by masturbation into sterilized glass containers after a 3- to 6-day abstinence. After evaluation of liquefaction and measurement of viscosity and volume, motility was measured, at room temperature (22° to 25°C), 1 hour after ejaculation, as previously described elsewhere (12), (13), (14) and (15).

Sperm morphology was evaluated from Papanicolaou-stained smears, and the classification of abnormal sperm forms was made according to the guidelines of the WHO (12). One hundred spermatozoa were studied from each semen specimen, and the same individual (D.P.) evaluated all smears. The percentage of motile spermatozoa was measured by the subjective method at room temperature (22° to 25°C), and sperm concentration was determined in an undiluted semen specimen with the use of Makler's Counting Chamber (16) and (17).
    Statistical Analysis

Statistical analysis was performed with SPSS statistical software, v. 13.0 (SPSS Inc, Chicago, IL). Two-tailed statistical significance was set at 5%. Categorical parameters (smoking status) were compared with Fischer's exact test. The normality of distribution was assessed with the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test (K-S) test. Values that did not fit the normal distribution were log-transformed.

Mean was compared at baseline with Student's t-test and during treatment with general linear model–based two-way repeated measures of analysis of variance (ANOVA); time (treatment) was set as the within-groups factor and achievement of pregnancy as the between-subjects factor. Within-groups post hoc analysis was performed after Bonferroni adjustment for multiple comparisons. Between groups post hoc analysis was based on model parameter estimates.

For those parameters where statistically significant or borderline differences or interactions between the men whose partners achieved pregnancy and those who failed were observed, binary logistic regression analysis was also performed to assess prognostic value.
    Results

The basal epidemiologic and anthropometric features of the men studied are presented in Table 1. Twenty-two men had partners who achieved pregnancy within 2 months from the end of treatment (22%; 95% CI, 15.0–31.1%). The hormonal features before and during treatment with toremifene of the men whose partners eventually achieved pregnancy (group 1) and those whose partners did not (group 2) are summarized in Table 2, and their semen parameters are presented in Table 3. Men whose partners achieved pregnancy did not differ significantly in epidemiologic and somatotopic features from the other group (see Table 1).

Table 1.

Epidemiologic and anthropometric features of the men in couples who eventually achieved pregnancy (group 1) and those who did not (group 2).
    Group 1 (n = 22) Group 2 (n = 78) P
    Age (years) 32.86 ± 1.14 33.72 ± 0.57 .487
    Age of spouse (years) 30.23 ± 0.98 29.77 ± 0.58 .707
    Right testicle volume (mL) 18.86 ± 0.79 18.33 ± 0.46 .584
    Left testicle volume (mL) 18.91 ± 0.83 17.49 ± 0.47 .157
    Mean testicle volume (mL) 18.89 ± 0.73 17.94 ± 0.45 .316
    Body mass index (kg/m2) 28.23 ± 0.83 26.85 ± 0.41 .125
    Smoking status (smokers) 10/22 37/78 .532

Note: Baseline is mean ± SEM. Statistical significance determined by Student's t-test after log-transformation, Fischer's exact test for smoking status.

Farmakiotis. Toremifene in male infertility. Fertil Steril 2007.

Table 2.

Basic hormonal features before and during treatment with toremifene of the men in couples who eventually achieved pregnancy (group 1) and those who did not (group 2).
    FSH (mIU/mL) T (mmol/L) SHBG (nmol/L) FAI INH (pg/mL)
    Group 1 (n = 22)
    Baseline 4.99 ± 0.54 5.10 ± 0.33 21.82 ± 1.47 96.55 ± 13.28 148.54 ± 15.62
    1 m 8.05 ± 0.78 7.18 ± 0.45 26.46 ± 2.20 116.81 ± 18.05 158.98 ± 16.46
    2 m 8.36 ± 0.91 7.28 ± 0.72 25.25 ± 1.42 109.00 ± 12.05 163.57 ± 17.15
    3 m 9.20 ± 0.91 6.91 ± 0.54 24.89 ± 1.62 109.47 ± 9.79 160.02 ± 20.61
    Group 2 (n = 78)
    Baseline 6.78 ± 0.61 4.85 ± 0.86 17.65 ± 0.65 96.55 ± 13.27 146.28 ± 8.64
    1 m 9.51 ± 0.77 6.87 ± 0.23 23.16 ± 0.96 116.81 ± 18.05 152.41 ± 8.86
    2 m 10.22 ± 0.74 6.91 ± 0.26 21.73 ± 0.84 109.00 ± 12.05 156.33 ± 9.48
    3 m 10.73 ± 0.74 7.19 ± 0.24 23.60 ± 0.77 109.47 ± 9.79 155.65 ± 8.21
    Group
    F 3.432 .086 3.519 0.210 .078
    P .067 .770 0.064 0.648 .781
    Time
    F 87.480 32.814 12.793 3.982 3.385
    P <.001 <.001 <0.001 0.013 .025
    Group × Time
    F .518 .848 1.657 0.474 .143
    P .670 .468 0.190 0.665 .909

Note: Mean ± SEM. Statistical significance by two-way repeated measures analysis of variance after log-transformation. FAI, free androgen index; FSH, follicle-stimulating hormone; INH, inhibin B; T, testosterone; SHBG, sex hormone–binding globulin.

Table 3.

Semen parameters before and during treatment with toremifene of the men in couples who eventually achieved pregnancy (group 1) and those who did not (group 2).
    Sperm concentration (× 106/mL) Total sperm count (× 106) Spermatozoal motility (%) Normal sperm forms (%)
    Group 1 (n = 22)
    Baseline 29.48 ± 4.04 109.62 ± 16.21 39.97 ± 3.43 23.86 ± 3.32
    3 m 45.57 ± 4.13 171,58 ± 22.88 49.76 ± 1.91 37.23 ± 3.02
    Group 2 (n = 78)
    Baseline 26.86 ± 1.79 91.71 ± 7.19 35.94 ± 1.62 21.67 ± 1.29
    3 m 38.19 ± 2.46 121.71 ± 8.89 45.02 ± 1.62 29.92 ± 1.57
    Group
    F 1.349 4.223 2.209 2.726
    P .248 .043 .140 .102
    Time
    F 70.287 30.417 32.612 62.905
    P <.001 <.001 <.001 <.001
    Group ×Time
    F 2.123 3.674 .046 3.510
    P .148 .058 .831 .064

Note: Mean ± SEM. Statistical significance by two-way repeated measures analysis of variance after log-transformation.

Effect of Treatment

During treatment with toremifene, a significant increase in circulating levels of FSH (Fig. 1), testosterone, and inhibin B levels was observed (P<.001 for FSH, and T, P<.05 for inhibin-B; Table 2). SHBG levels (P<.001) and free androgen index (FAI) values (P<.05) (Fig. 2) levels was observed. The number of spermatozoa per mL, as well as per ejaculation, and the percentage of spermatozoa with normal motility and morphology were also significantly increased at 3 months (P<.001; Table 3).

Image Display Full Size version of this image (23K)
    Display High Quality version of this image (111K)

Figure 1. Follicle-stimulating hormone levels (mean ± SEM) of the men whose partners eventually achieved pregnancy and those whose partners did not, before and during treatment with toremifene. *P<.05 versus previous value, †P <.05 between the men whose partners became pregnant and those whose partners did not.

Image Display Full Size version of this image (22K)
    Display High Quality version of this image (115K)

Figure 2. Inhibin B (INH) levels (mean ± SEM) of the men whose partners eventually achieved pregnancy and those whose partners did not, before and during treatment with toremifene.

The increase in FSH levels was basically observed during the first (P<.001) and second (P<.05) months of treatment, whereas the change during the last month was not significant. Testosterone (T) and SHBG levels (P<.001), as well as FAI values (P<.05), were significantly increased only during the first month (P<.001), while the increase in SHBG levels was significant during both the first and second month (P<.001); no significant change in T levels, SHBG concentration, or FAI was observed during the second and third month of treatment.
    Differences between Men Whose Partners Achieved Pregnancy and Those Whose Partners Did Not

Overall, FSH levels were borderline higher in those men whose partners did not achieve pregnancy compared with those whose partners did (P=.067; see Table 2, Fig. 1). The difference between the two groups was statistically significant at the end of treatment (P<.05; see Fig. 1). Likewise, the total number of spermatozoa per ejaculation was, overall, statistically significantly higher in men whose partners achieved pregnancy (P<.05; see Table 2, Fig. 3). This difference was, again, statistically significant at 3 months (P<.05) but not at baseline (see Fig. 3).

Image Display Full Size version of this image (18K)
    Display High Quality version of this image (97K)

Figure 3. Total number of spermatozoa (SZ) per ejaculation (mean ± SEM) of the men whose partners eventually achieved pregnancy and those whose partners did not, before and after 3-month-treatment with toremifene. *P <.05 versus previous value. †P <.05 between the men whose partners became pregnant and those whose partners did not.

A borderline interaction between time and treatment outcome (pregnancy or no pregnancy) was observed with respect to the total number of spermatozoa per ejaculation (P=.058; see Table 2, Fig. 3) and the percentage of spermatozoa with normal morphology (P=.064; see Table 2). Men whose partners achieved pregnancy had a statistically significantly higher percentage of spermatozoa with normal morphology at the end of treatment (P<.05).

In univariate logistic regression analysis, FSH levels (B = −1.894 ± 0.959), sperm count per ejaculation (B = 0.006 ± 0.003), and the percentage of spermatozoa with normal morphology (B = 0.04 ± 0.02) after treatment had a statistically significant prognostic value for the achievement of pregnancy (P<.05). In multivariate logistic regression, FSH levels at 3 months were the most statistically significant independent parameter of the three (B = −1.73 ± 1.02, P=.089).

Discussion

Tamoxifen citrate, a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), has been proposed as an empiric treatment for idiopathic oligozoospermia because of its stimulatory action on gonadotropin secretion and its postulated direct effects on Leydig cell function and 5α-dihydrotestosterone production in seminiferous tubules and epididymis (5), (6), (10), (11) and (12). Based on the above evidence, the present study was designed to investigate whether toremifene, another compound from the same category (13), has a beneficiary effect on the main semen parameters as well.

In the present study, a statistically significant increase in serum FSH was observed after administration of toremifene at a dose of 60 mg daily. This increase was more marked at the end of the first month of treatment; FSH levels were also statistically significantly increased after one additional month of treatment, reaching a plateau after the end of the second month with no statistically significant increase during the last month of toremifene administration (see Table 2, Fig. 1). This increase should be attributed to the well-known anti-estrogenic properties of SERMs in general (3) and toremifene in specific (18) and (19). The stimulatory effect of SERMs on hypophyseal gonadotropin secretion has been proposed as a possible mechanism for its beneficial effect on semen quality (5).

Toremifene administration also induced a statistically significant increase in total testosterone levels , which was again significant only during the first month of treatment, reaching a plateau afterward (see Table 2). The increased gonadotropin secretion could be the reason for this observed increase in total testosterone levels (1) and (3). However, it should be noted that SERMs have also been reported to have direct stimulating effects on Leydig cell function (20) and 5α-dihydrotestosterone production in seminiferous tubules and epididymis (5) and (21).

Despite the increase in testosterone levels, which would be expected to suppress SHBG production by the liver (22), the levels of this globulin were statistically significantly increased during the first and the second months of toremifene administration (see Table 2). These results are indicative of the estrogenic activity of toremifene at the liver, which is consistent with previous reports on SERM properties (23).

An interesting finding of this study, which, to the best of our knowledge, has not been previously reported, was the statistically significant increase in circulating inhibin B after toremifene administration (see Table 2, Fig. 2). Inhibin production by the testes is stimulated by FSH; moreover, inhibin secretion has been proposed as a reliable index of Sertoli cell function. Therefore, the increase of inhibin levels observed in the present study could be attributed to both increased FSH secretion (see Table 2, Fig. 1) and the potential beneficiary effect of SERMs on testicular function (5), (20) and (21).

Toremifene administration for a period of 3 months resulted in a statistically significant improvement of all three main semen parameters, namely, sperm count (see Table 3, Fig. 3), motility, and morphology (see Table 3). It should be noted that, although tamoxifen has also been shown to induce a statistically significant increase in spermatozoa count, this particular SERM has not been shown to induce any marked changes in motility and morphology (6) and (7).
    The partners of 22 men achieved pregnancy within 2 months from the end of treatment. At baseline, these men presented with lower serum FSH levels compared with those whose partners did not achieve pregnancy but not statistically significantly so. Although treatment with toremifene induced a statistically significant increase in FSH levels in both groups, FSH levels were statistically significantly lower (P<.05) in men whose partners achieved pregnancy at the end of the third month of treatment (see Fig. 1). We postulate that lower FSH levels in the men whose partners achieved pregnancy are due to a more functional negative feedback from the testes, thus reflecting better testicular response to treatment. This trend was also apparent in the higher levels of inhibin observed in the group of men whose partners eventually became pregnancy, although a level of statistical significance was not reached.

At baseline, no statistically significant differences in the three main semen parameters of sperm count, motility, and morphology were observed between men whose partners achieved pregnancy and those whose partners did not, although there was a trend for increased values in the former group. Notably, total sperm count as well as spermatozoa morphology was improved with toremifene administration; this change was more marked in the group of men whose partners achieved pregnancy (see Table 3, Fig. 3). Moreover, total sperm count and spermatozoa morphology at the end of treatment had statistically significant prognostic value for the achievement of pregnancy within the subsequent 2 months. This finding is again consistent with better testicular functional response in the subgroup of men whose partners achieved pregnancy.

Conclusively, the present study shows that toremifene administration for a period of 3 months in men with idiopathic oligozoospermia results in statistically significant improvements in all three main semen parameters of sperm count, motility, and morphology, mediated by increased gonadotropin secretion and possibly a direct beneficial effect of toremifene on the testes. It is possible, therefore, that this particular SERM could be useful as an initial approach in the treatment of subfertile men with idiopathic oligozoospermia. Nevertheless, the precise standards of treatment need to be further investigated by randomized, placebo-controlled trials.

so should this toremifene replace my clomid AND nolva next pct?
    It sounds great and ill have to try it, what doses do you advise swifto?

so should this toremifene replace my clomid AND nolva next pct?
    It sounds great and ill have to try it, what doses do you advise swifto?
    I'd run low dose Clomid 25mg/ED for 4-5 with Torm at 120mg/ED for 1-2 weeks, then 60mg/ED for 2-3 weeks.

Ok thanks! I take it you have run it pct before and liked it? You can tell the difference?

Ok thanks! I take it you have run it pct before and liked it? You can tell the difference?
    I've used both Clomid and Torm, yes.

Thread Information