Tbone1975 is offline Member

breathing technique and a few other points/questions

Hi. My friend taught me a breathing technique with squats. We were doing squats one day, worked up to 495 for 3-5 over a couple workouts. At this point, I had severe "hip splints", what do you call 'em anyways, hip pointers? Anyone ever had 'em? They feel like real bad shin splints except in your hips. My stance was fairly narrow as well. Anyways, I had those. I would do 495 for 3-5, maybe getting parallel on one or two, a little above on the rest. I would inhale on the way down, and exhale on the way up. My buddy taught me to take the full inhalation before even descending, then descend and exhale at the end. Ok, fast forward a month, month and a half or so. Here I am in the gym, one week into a cycle. I widened up my stance a few weeks back hoping to get more comfortable and maybe to take any awkward emphasis off my hips. It worked, no more "hip splints" LOL. So here I am, put on 495, new stance, new breathing technique, and I knock 495 out for 8. I knock it out for 8, not only parallel, but on at least half, a*s to floor. So which was it guys LOL. Was it the wider stance, or the breathing technique, or both? Do any of you powerlifters use that breathing technique? I asked my bud if uses that technique on bench as well and he said yes.

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    wider stance.... that helped me ...

Quote Originally Posted by pewntang
    wider stance.... that helped me ...
    Cool, thanks pewwwwwtang LOL. Yeah, no doubt that was a factor. I think the breathing was too. I wanna hear what other people have to say about it. Seriously pewntang, have you ever tried that breathing technique on your real heavy lifts? I really think it does something. My buddy said it keeps everything tight. I wanna max man. I go 135 8. All lifts raw btw. 225 8, 315 8, 405 8, then 495 8. I know there's some super strong dudes on here who lift more, but i figure I'm good for 600 or more raw. I'd probably go something like, 135 8, 225 8, 315 3, 405 1, 495 1, etc, if i were to max. Sh*t I should start a thread on how to max squats too. I hardly ever max. I'd be curious as to the best approach on that too.

cmillett is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1975
    Cool, thanks pewwwwwtang LOL. Yeah, no doubt that was a factor. I think the breathing was too. I wanna hear what other people have to say about it. Seriously pewntang, have you ever tried that breathing technique on your real heavy lifts? I really think it does something. My buddy said it keeps everything tight. I wanna max man. I go 135 8. All lifts raw btw. 225 8, 315 8, 405 8, then 495 8. I know there's some super strong dudes on here who lift more, but i figure I'm good for 600 or more raw. I'd probably go something like, 135 8, 225 8, 315 3, 405 1, 495 1, etc, if i were to max. Sh*t I should start a thread on how to max squats too. I hardly ever max. I'd be curious as to the best approach on that too.
    I would pretty much follow the same rep,set range you mentioned for maxing singles,you dont want ue all of your energy on heavy weights while warming up,play it by ear and go for singles.
    I would also do some light leg ext /curls. along with some stretcheing and some sort of excercise too get your CNS going like sme jumping jacks at 3 x 20,do all of this before squating

Thanks cmillett. I guess no ones heard of or uses that breathing technique. I find it hard to fathom though, I really like it, and I'm pretty sure my friend got it from powerlifting as he used to compete and has competitive friends as well. Hmmm. Oh well, we'll see if anybody brings it up.

Quote Originally Posted by cmillett
    I would pretty much follow the same rep,set range you mentioned for maxing singles,you dont want ue all of your energy on heavy weights while warming up,play it by ear and go for singles.
    I would also do some light leg ext /curls. along with some stretcheing and some sort of excercise too get your CNS going like sme jumping jacks at 3 x 20,do all of this before squating

I really do like that breathing technique. Last week I had a super squat workout. Two of my best buds were in the gym and it gave me energy from hell. I did 495 for 8 very solid. One or two more was not out of the question. I had no spotter though and had to rerack the weight a bit higher than I would have wanted to as I was squatting with a tall guy who was gone. I had no trouble reracking up to 405 but 500 was difficult. In fact, I couldn't do it. Someone finally came over to help me but I told him I was just gonna go down with it and leave it there and so I did. Either way, last weeks workout was very tough for me to beat. So today, early this morning, I figured I would take a different approach and do a few singles. I still have not attempted my goal of 585. Today I went into the gym a bit groggy. I had plenty of sleep, but knew it would take some time to wake up. So I proceeded. Did 135 8, 225 8, 315 8, 405 8. Then I just hit up 495 for 1. Then 515 for 1. Then 535 for 1. Still waking up, that one was harder than it should have been. So I put on a third ten on each side and grabbed my buddy for a spot. His response, "You BETTER be able to put this sh*t up, because I sure can't," LOL, he's a runner. I was nervous before this lift (555), but it was a piece of cake and I'm ready to put up at least 585. I did two of the things that my real good powerliftin' and bodybuildin' buddy taught me. I unracked the weight with confidence knowing my spotter could keep me from tipping back. No probs there anyways. But the first thing I did was take as long as I wanted, like my buddy said, to get set with the weight. I totally took my time. The second thing I did that he taught me was to take a big full breath before even doing anything with the weight. I did, then descended, got way in the bucket, then put it up easy. I'm definately ready for at least a 585 raw squat attempt. I'd also like to bring in those two guys that I had the super workout with the week before. I know it would pump me up a ton. I know some of you guys are super lifters. Maybe you don't do that or need to. It helps me a lot man. Only with the real heavy weight. I don't bother doing it with anything less than 495. Now I gotta buy a camcorder so I can film it down the road.

I finally did 585. First attempt and I got it. I did it towards the end of my workout too. No spot. Which is dumb LOL, I know, my buddy just chewed me out for it. I won't do that again. The lift was RAW obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this unless it was a much bigger number. I'll never ever forget the lift though. It was a lifelong goal and it's done, and it was a B*TCH LOL. Here's how it all started. I was actually having a crappy kind of workout. I knew right from the beginning with 135, that I was VERY stiff. This happens to me every once in a while. I had a long day at work, that probably contributed, along with possible slight overtraining, which I kind of doubt. Anyways, it does happen to me now and again. Yep, 135 8, I was stiff. 225 8, still stiff. Never stopped, 315 8, 405 8, 495 7. I usually get 495 for 8 with room for more but not that day. Then I surprised myself and threw on 585. I wanted to FINALLY try the weight LOL, and also, probably, to transform a very mediocre workout, into a super one. As I walked by everyone in the gym, I thought to myself, "In a few minutes, these people are going to either see me fail with this weight or put it up." Finally I got to it. No spot, everyone in the gym was watching for some reason LOL. It didn't bother me at all. One guy was even standing about 10 feet behind me just staring. I'm gonna do that to him LOL, add a bit of pressure to his lift. Naaa but I didn't mind. I got under and unracked it. I stood with it for 5-10 seconds. I like to get a feel for the weight on max lifts. then I took a deep breath and descended. It felt very heavy, but I felt very in control. At the bottom I kept thinking, "put it up so you can tell all your friends." That's all that went through my head and it was a strong thought. Finally I hit "rock bottom" and began coming up with it. And it was f*ckin HEAVY!!!!!!! I was in control but it was very heavy. It went up very slow and steady, just very hard. I was f*ckin strained all over. I got it though, and racked. Then I started talking with the guy who was standing behind me. It took awhile to sink in but I'm soooo damn happy with it. That was a BIG lift for me. I'll always shoot for more, but that was BIG. It was really tough too which made it more special. I'll never forget that one. Probably the coolest lift I've ever done for a variety of reasons.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    sounds like your cycle is kicking in rather than the breathing.
    Breathing will only get you so far. I take a breath, squat, get rid of most of the air at the bottom, then the rest while Im coming back up.

a word of advice. NEVER lift that heavy without a spotter. Doesnt matter what kind of mind frame your in. Your asking for injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    sounds like your cycle is kicking in rather than the breathing.
    Breathing will only get you so far. I take a breath, squat, get rid of most of the air at the bottom, then the rest while Im coming back up.
    \\

Cycle has been over for close to a month. I just started playing around with heavy weights. Obviously you're not impressed and that is very surprising and upsetting. Don't worry I have a lot left in the tank for ya.

LOL. never said I wasnt impressed.

Sorry brother. Thank you. Don't laugh. During the last few months, I've learned powerlifters are bit of a different breed, VERY STRONG. Yeah I can squat 500 for 8 or so reps but I have a powerlifter where I work out who puts up the same as me and weighs much less. I'm not intimidated at all for various reasons which an experienced lifter could recognize but nevertheless, I learned something! This guy in particular weighs in at 180-190 and does 3 sets of 5 with 500 unequipped, no wraps. I can do this with wraps easily, but weigh much more than him. He was ranked number 1 in his class the last year or before. I think he's all natural and competes this way. Powerlifters are a different breed. I was overly sensitive in my post, please forgive me. It was a HUGE lift for me LOL. On on top of that, I lifted through it even though I had pain in my balls which I've NEVER had LOL. I said to myself, "Dude, you probably have a hernia, at least put the weight up so you can tell your friends." I did, it worked out, also no hernia. I talked to a powerlifter doc, who verified this. He was like, "I've had that before," LOL. Bottom line, good luck with your lifting!

Thread Information