Thread: Bench Shirt Q

Donzi is offline New Member

Bench Shirt Q

I just purchased an Inzer Phenom single ply bench shirt with a closed back. (From the advise of a friend). The shirt tore me up. I have deep cuts under my arms, armpits, around my shoulders, where a few days later one area is still bleeding. Also, I was not able to touch my chest yet. This is my first bench shirt experience and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on a good shirt for someone just starting out with benching with a shirt. My raw bench is 405 lbs. and I'm hoping to get down to 242lbs for a meet in March. Are all bench shirts tight under the arms and this is normal or should I start with a different shirt?

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    sounds like it fits perfect... lol!!! in all honesty you may of went a bit too radical for a 1st timer. Just be patient, work the shirt as much as possible. It will start to feel much better after it's broken in. You may want to start touching with a 3 or 4 board and work down from there. The tighter the fit the longer the break in, however in the end the bigger the carry over. good luck and keep lifting big!!!

cmillett is offline Member
    It usually takes a few workouts too break a shirt like the one you have in...

This is how I break my shirts in,
    1st get a spray bottle

wk
    1. wetted shirt - 3 brd
    2. wetted shirt - 3brd and 2 brd
    3. wetted shirt - 2brd and 1 brd
    4. Deload or rest (i prefer to rest) but dont do shirt work
    5, shirt - 3 brd and 2 brd
    6. shirt - 2 brd and 1 brd
    7. shirt - 2 brd and touch

In the 2nd 3wk wave you shouldnt have too wet the shirt,but if need be do so..

You can also just condence this to 1 3 wk wave

wl
    1.shirt wetted 3brd and 2 brd
    2.shirt wetted 2brd and 1 brd
    3.shirt wetted decending brds 3,2,1,touch

Ive used both of these methods too break in shirts along with guys Ive trained with and they along with myself have had great success breaking in shirts this way.

Hope this helps

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    not al bench shirts rip you up under the arm as bad as the phenom. i used a double phenom that was real loose on me and the same thing happened. i should be getting my shirt. a super phenom. i know others who have this shirt. it literaly has made a few of them bleed!

artica is offline Junior Member
    I have a few Super Phenoms and non have yet to make me bleed but the pinching is insane when jacked to the max... once you learn the shirt and begin to pull it down your triceps then it really digs into your arms, I havn't bled from that yet but I do have scabs, so just deep enough for scabs but not deep enough for blood.

now, I just use a bigger Super phenom for training and save the other two for the meets.

Donzi is offline New Member
    Thanks for all the good advise. I'll give it a try and keep working on it.
    Thanks again.

let us know how it goes

Sasso09 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    not al bench shirts rip you up under the arm as bad as the phenom. i used a double phenom that was real loose on me and the same thing happened. i should be getting my shirt. a super phenom. i know others who have this shirt. it literaly has made a few of them bleed!
    Which shirt did i have to struggle a half hour to put on and take off of you? that thing really tore you up, ha

artica is offline Junior Member
    well, it happened.......

This sunday we took our openers and 2nd, 3rd attempts for a meet on March 8th and for the first time blood poured from my left tricep area after shirt benching. I don't think it's because I did something different to the shirt, I just think the area has been beat to the point were finally today it ripped the final lining holding my arm from bleeding.. I've been shirting up for 6 weeks straight and the 7th week brought out blood. I doubt it heals by next week so more blood to come and then more blood on meet day.

This did not fair well with the wife when she saw blood coming through my t-shirt. She thinks I'm crazy and this sport is ridiculous. Am I alone fighting with the wife on this here?

Sasso09 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artica View Post
    well, it happened.......

This sunday we took our openers and 2nd, 3rd attempts for a meet on March 8th and for the first time blood poured from my left tricep area after shirt benching. I don't think it's because I did something different to the shirt, I just think the area has been beat to the point were finally today it ripped the final lining holding my arm from bleeding.. I've been shirting up for 6 weeks straight and the 7th week brought out blood. I doubt it heals by next week so more blood to come and then more blood on meet day.

This did not fair well with the wife when she saw blood coming through my t-shirt. She thinks I'm crazy and this sport is ridiculous. Am I alone fighting with the wife on this here?
    ewww girls have cooties, ditch her.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    well, it happened.......

My wife is cool with it as long as I don't head-but squat bars and shin-kick deadlift bars before lifts... LOL!!! I just haven't figured out anything cool to do to a bench bar yet. Oh, and she has no sympathy for jacked up suspension knots either...

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    yeah my old lady really hates what the bench shirt does to me but hell it will be ok bro haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
    Which shirt did i have to struggle a half hour to put on and take off of you? that thing really tore you up, ha
    that was a single ply rage x. lol! that thing was a bitch. i did get it on though! reason it was so hard was because the shirt was about 2-3 sizes smaller than it should be

well, it happened.......

not alone at all. my fiance'(god i hate that word!) yells at me all the time. i just pay no attention. btwn the bruises and echemosis, blood vessels popping in my eyes face and arms, constant ice compressions, bloody shins, driving on saturdays and hour each way to squat, not to mention when i take any supplements........CONSTANT BITCHING! LOL

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    not alone at all. my fiance'(god i hate that word!) yells at me all the time. i just pay no attention. btwn the bruises and echemosis, blood vessels popping in my eyes face and arms, constant ice compressions, bloody shins, driving on saturdays and hour each way to squat, not to mention when i take any supplements........CONSTANT BITCHING! LOL
    lol.. Ur a funny man Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    lol.. Ur a funny man Doc.
    thanks buddy. i try!

Thread Information