Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift

kieran24 is offline New Member

deadlift

when deadlifting, do you always have to make the discs touch the floor when coming down from a rep or can u let it hang then bring it back up ? i have seen people deadlifting an jus letting the weight discs not touch the floor until they are finished. and i use wrist straps when i deadlift, is that ok ?

jypoll is offline Member
    Yea you can either touch and go with the deadlift or drop and reset, i personally prefer to put the weight on the ground for a moment then pull it back up but it doesn't matter which way you do it

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    1. Yes you have to touch the ground, thats why it's called a "deadlift", you are lifting dead weight off the ground.

2. Straps are ok for beginners, but at some point you need to graduate to chalk.

CFforged is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    1. Yes you have to touch the ground, thats why it's called a "deadlift", you are lifting dead weight off the ground.
    +1

I would ditch the straps ASAP though, your grip will always be your limiting factor unless you train it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CFforged View Post
    +1

I would ditch the straps ASAP though, your grip will always be your limiting factor unless you train it as well.
    x1. I never understood people using straps. I mean, you're not REALLY lifting that weight, are you?

Chalk FTW

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    x1. I never understood people using straps. I mean, you're not REALLY lifting that weight, are you?

Chalk FTW
    Straps are essential. It's the overload. You will never be able to deadlift without straps as much as you would with straps. So your grip is a limiting factor to holding back your absolute deadlift strength. Doing high reps or extremely heavy deads taxes your grip and won't allow you to work the other muscles necessary for a huge deadlift. You're limiting your strength potential based solely on your grip strength. Every single world class deadlifter trains with straps. KK does, Bolton does, Felix does, Poundstone does, Savickas does (those are the top deadlifters in the world).

In other words...DITCH THE STRAPS...LIMIT YOUR POTENTIAL!!! BTW, I've pulled *** (without straps) and I pull with straps for my heavy singles. And my grip is still strong (360lb farmers walk in comp for a 100ft, no issues).

I dunno...just seems like cheating to me. Aside from world-class level competition, it seems like most people use straps WAY to early in their training...like people using straps for anything less than 500 seems ridiculous, but thats what quite a bit of people do.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Are you guys working out in a Olympic gym center ?
    Most gyms I have seen over the last 28 years of lifting don't want a chalk mess .
    When I do reps at 315 and up there is no way I could do this without straps .
    If I did single reps without setting weight back down I would agree with you .
    So your telling me your doing multiple huge weight reps with no straps ?

I can't dead lift 500 so I have little creditability .

My Bad , I just noticed this is a power lifting thread .
    I didn't consider myself a body builder or power lifter .
    Just a serious gym goer that does Deads , squats and cleans .

I understand what you're saying Noomoto. I only use straps for 600+ for singles and 400+ with reps over 8. But I've been deadlifting heavy for years so my strength is on another level than most.

One's grip will develop with time. Guys like Bolton and Savickas train with straps because the have small meaty hands that make it difficult to hold the bar for anything more than singles. I've actually heard Savickas talk about this difficulty in person. So if he didn't train with straps, there would be no way he could pull 900+.

But, again, I do understand what you mean by people using them too early. I've seen guys do lat pulls, light bend over rows, curls, and other odd crap using straps. Now that is unnecessary, IMO.

Old, I don't work out at a gym. I converted my guest house into a gym, so I can slang chalk, spit, tacky, and blood all over the place!!!

PL isn't my sport so take my opinion for what it's worth, just an opinion....

But my thought is, if you can't get it up with just your hands you have no business lifting it

Quote Originally Posted by CFforged View Post
    PL isn't my sport so take my opinion for what it's worth, just an opinion....

But my thought is, if you can't get it up with just your hands you have no business lifting it
    Tell that to the strongest men on the planet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dont wanna be old View Post
    Are you guys working out in a Olympic gym center ?
    Most gyms I have seen over the last 28 years of lifting don't want a chalk mess .
    When I do reps at 315 and up there is no way I could do this without straps .
    If I did single reps without setting weight back down I would agree with you .
    So your telling me your doing multiple huge weight reps with no straps ?

I can't dead lift 500 so I have little creditability .
    I work out at a commercial gym. But my gym is so concerned with memberships and not losing members that they don't say anything about the chalk. Even so, it cleans up really easy, I don't see what the big deal is.

I think people leaving paper towels and empty bottles all over the place is more of a nuisance than chalk.

FiremanJake is offline New Member
    Bring the weight all the way to the ground.
    Ditch the straps when your doing deads.
    Use the straps if your working on lockouts or something, if you feel it necessary. JMO.

I work out at a commercial gym. But my gym is so concerned with memberships and not losing members that they don't say anything about the chalk. Even so, it cleans up really easy, I don't see what the big deal is.

I think people leaving paper towels and empty bottles all over the place is more of a nuisance than chalk.
    I don't mind chalk . Agree with you on bottles and paper towels .
    I'm gonna get chalk tomorrow and smuggle into the gym Saturday . I wanna see the difference between chalk and straps .

I don't know how people can workout without chalk, my hands would be a bloody mess without it.

SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member
    Yeah I drop the weight to the floor each rep. I let it crash down sometimes so I don't have to slowly lower it with my legs. I can do over 500 with just chalk no problem, and I can do 700+ in the rack with just chalk, no problem. If you don't wanna train grip with deadlifts, I guess you could use straps and train grip with something else, that'd be fine. Without chalk, I can't really do more than about 315. It's really annoying. Well that's not true, I can do probably 405 for 5 reps without chalk. But it just gets more and more slippery and it's not even your grips' fault, it's the sweaty oils and crap all over your hands and the bar that make it slip out, causing you to curse and wonder where your f'n chalk is.

360lbs Farmers Walk for 100ft? Holy ****. I feel like a puss now.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 09-03-2010 at 12:45 AM.

zoltans4 is offline Junior Member
    I can't use chalk at my gym and your grip is good for maybe 2 reps, then its about overcoming sweat and hand oils, what else are you gonna do? My profession and livelyhood depends on my hands not being beat up, so i gotta use some straps...

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    My right hand grip is my weak link from an injury. Might give a single strap for that hand a try.

I workout at a couple different gyms one doesn't allow chalk. If I go heavy (for me) I rip off callus pads, so keep it light there now.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I can't use chalk at my gym. Straps are the next best thing. I trained without them for years then ripped off 2 caluses (real bloody). Not doing that again, so straps it is.

SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member
    When that callous comes off, you can't deadlift anything it hurts like a bastard. Only happened once, and it was terrible.

Solution to torn calluses...SUPER GLUE!! Burns like hell, but it deadens the nerve. After the initial application, you can dead all day! Competing in strongman, tearing calluses is part of the game, you learn to deal with it.

qal92 is offline Senior Member
    get liquid chalk, you can get it at elitefts

zoltans4 is offline Junior Member
    are hooks completely cheating? lol

PistolStarta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltans4 View Post
    are hooks completely cheating? lol
    No and I disagree with everyone saying straps are cheating. I have a bad right wrist and at 5'6 small hands. I dont have long fingers to help with my hand grip when they sweat in a long set. While I dont use them usually, some people need them.

walkerls1 is offline Banned = Swifto's bitch!
    If straps are cheating, then so is wrapping your knees for squat, or using a bench shirt. Straps are a training aid. I use them when doing high reps 12+ with weight over 315lbs. I don't like using them but my hand grip slips on high reps. But when I did my max of 500lbs I didn't use straps or chalk. I wanted it to be all me.

walkerls1 is offline Banned = Swifto's bitch!
    If straps aren't considered cheating while attempting to break a world record, then I think it just comes down to a matter of opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ptV...1&feature=fvwp

At least none of you are using the shrug machine to deadlift...yes I saw someone doing this.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    I would assume the plates not touching the ground, would put alot of strain on ya back, where could cause a major injury, especially heavy dead lifting.

nathan10191983 is offline New Member
    im 5,9 185 and do four plates on each side for 3-4 reps and put palm on opposite sides i used straps before i go up in weight then do it with out the straps

n00bs is offline Member
    STRAPS = WEAK

I dont care what you say.. If you cant hold it you cant hold it.. Grow some balls and get your grip going.

Lift raw like a man

biggbn is offline New Member
    i train without straps, use a overhand/underhand grip.....grip has improved immesureable since i stopped using straps years ago, always use chalk....deadlift raw, no belt etc...220kg for 9 reps, 250kg for 5 reps.....couldnt do it wothout chalk though,

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    I train with straps.. no matter what anyone says they are a good tool. At 150lbs I can DL 315 without straps twice with straps I can do it 4 times. Heres the thing don't use it as a major part of your training, use them to overcome a plateau. When I was stuck at 275 I used straps to get up to 315, once my core and grip strengthened I now do 315 with and without straps. People who say they are weak or you have no balls obviously don't watch the pros use them... crap even BIG RON uses them.

biggbn is offline New Member
    i dont use a belt, straps or wraps but had no chalk on monday, so wrapped my knees, stuck a belt on and used straps for first time in an age, pulled 270kg easy...aim is for 300kg raw no straps...one day haha, pulled 220kg for ten friday

Duckhombre is offline Associate Member
    F-straps, you wanna train grip and prevent your hands from getting torn up? Get some sex lube, not joking, I like the glycerin based because it cleans up easier than the silicone based. Chalk is a lubricant that prevents you tearing skin by reducing friction. Now with no chalk, find other lube. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    STRAPS = WEAK

I dont care what you say.. If you cant hold it you cant hold it.. Grow some balls and get your grip going.

Lift raw like a man
    Spoken like a typical 500-600lb deadlifter...stupid comment! I train like the best and every single big deadlifter and I mean big 800+ train with straps. And until one of you weak pullers start pulling big weight and not high school weight without using straps consistently (on anything but singles), please shut your mouth because your argument is as weak as you are.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Well all I can say is do wat you like.

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Spoken like a typical 500-600lb deadlifter...stupid comment! I train like the best and every single big deadlifter and I mean big 800+ train with straps. And until one of you weak pullers start pulling big weight and not high school weight without using straps consistently (on anything but singles), please shut your mouth because your argument is as weak as you are.

Yep because OP is a monster with years of training who pulls 800+

Was i reffering to you or any advanced lifters?

Reccomending novices not build grip strength = stupid.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Yep because OP is a monster with years of training who pulls 800+

Was i reffering to you or any advanced lifters?

Reccomending novices not build grip strength = stupid.

LOL
    Again, nobody is recommending that new lifters not develop grip strength. I train D1 football prospects, and not only do these guys have tremendous grip strength but are also deadlifting 600+ and cleaning 300+ while in high school. And guess what, THEY ALL TRAIN WITH STRAPS ON MULTIPLE REP PULLS!!! Where or where did I say that new lifters shouldn't develop grip strength? I'll tell you what NOOBS, look up any major strength and conditioning coach (Dave Tate, Pendalay, etc.), and ask them if new lifters should or shouldn't use straps.

But of course, if you want to remain weak or on the level of high school junior, go ahead and keep pulling without straps. Good luck!

n00bs is offline Member
    So its best when you first start deadlifting to use straps?

What logic is that...

This is about the OP he is asking about a deadlift like a begginer.. a begginer isnt one of your d1 football prospects.

I dont care what you do, its irrelivent.

So the best bet is use straps on deadlifts and work on girp seperatley for a begginer? Wtf... Get off your high horse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information