J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member

mispronunciations

as a longtime fan of european sports (F1, road cycling) i've always found it hilarious ho badly the north american braodcast teams butcher foreign names, but doesn't it ever strike you guys for how many years they do it without being corrected? **** they still call schumacher "mike-uhl" lol.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    as a longtime fan of european sports (F1, road cycling) i've always found it hilarious ho badly the north american braodcast teams butcher foreign names, but doesn't it ever strike you guys for how many years they do it without being corrected? **** they still call schumacher "mike-uhl" lol.
    That's because his name IS "Mike-uhl" in American English, not "Mish-eye-el". You think Germans pronounce my name, Jonathan, correctly? They say, "Yo-no-tan". That is the correct way to pronounce it in Deutsch. You should pronounce names according to the language you are speaking as people will be more likely to understand what your name actually is. In Germany I say Yonotan. In America I say Jonathan. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    That's because his name IS "Mike-uhl" in American English, not "Mish-eye-el". You think Germans pronounce my name, Jonathan, correctly? They say, "Yo-no-tan". That is the correct way to pronounce it in Deutsch. You should pronounce names according to the language you are speaking as people will be more likely to understand what your name actually is. In Germany I say Yonotan. In America I say Jonathan. Simple.
    yeah but what about the last names then? not to mention someone like joseba bilocki where they mix and match german and spanish pronunciation.

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    bro u have to understand that the same names will have different pronounanciations in different parts of the world.. thats just how it is

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Let's take John William Smith, whose father is Michael Smith.

In America we call him John Smith,
    in Germany they would call him Yon Smith,
    in Russia he would be called Ivan Mikhailovich (you are called by your first name followed by your father's first name, with an "ich" or "vich" at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by soccer#3
    bro u have to understand that the same names will have different pronounanciations in different parts of the world.. thats just how it is
    why don't we call people named michael miguel when they're in mexico though? or john johan (if that is in fact the same name)?

why don't we call people named michael miguel when they're in mexico though? or john johan (if that is in fact the same name)?
    It goes by the pronunciation according to the SPELLING. You don't change a person's name, just the way it is pronounced.

If they wanted, a person might also change the spelling of their name(s) depending on what country they are living in. I knew a Polish girl named Agnieczka (or something like that) that went by Angela after she came to Germany. Miguel might change his name to Michael, but that isn't up to the people pronouncing his name, it's up to Miguel.

yeah but what about the last names then? not to mention someone like joseba bilocki where they mix and match german and spanish pronunciation.
    According to the spoken language OR the mother language. Either way is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    It goes by the pronunciation according to the SPELLING. You don't change a person's name, just the way it is pronounced.

If they wanted, a person might also change the spelling of their name(s) depending on what country they are living in. I knew a Polish girl named Agnieczka (or something like that) that went by Angela after she came to Germany. Miguel might change his name to Michael, but that isn't up to the people pronouncing his name, it's up to Miguel.
    meh i don't know about you but i introduce myself as my own name "andrew" not "ondrev" or "andreas" to germans.

Thread Information