F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

Weightgainers vs. Do it yourself mixes

So what do you guys think is better? Buying the weight gainers or making your own high calorie concotions with some protein powder? Also, what do you add to your protein drinks? Need some ideas.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Own is way better.
    1) Cheaper
    2) Less sugar and undigestable protien and cals

For a Weight gainer

2-3 scoops protien
    .5-1cup oats
    1 cup milk
    some water
    and a banana
    or 1-2 tablespoons of PB (natural)

Tank75 is offline Associate Member
    i haven't tried a high calorie weight gainer, but i'm thinking of doing it for my first cycle. i've been trying to practice eating 4500 calories a day of food and it gets tough so i'm going off the recommendations from some people off this site. i'm sure you can make your own stuff which is just as good, just need to spend the time and money for the extra stuff to do it.

i found a good ten pound container for like 20 bucks with over 1000kcals/serving. i plan to divide that up into two servings and take one serving a day and it should last me for a good 8-10 weeks. i just think this way is easier.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    weight gainers are stupid..

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom
    So what do you guys think is better? Buying the weight gainers or making your own high calorie concotions with some protein powder? Also, what do you add to your protein drinks? Need some ideas.
    I like homebrew weight gainers. Personally, I don't rely on powder to feed me. I eat to do that. I feel they have there place when you're eating 7-8 whole food meals daily and you want to supplement extra calories. Then I can see why you would want to use them. If you make your own weight gainers you'll save money and you are in control of the ingredients.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Homemade is best. Just take some whey powder, and mix in other food stuff into it. For homemade weightgainers, I'd mix some yogurt, strawberries and bananas, whole milk, whey protien, and maybe some dextrose if you mix in your creatine with the protien. Could also add alittle flax to the shake.

Bought weight gainers generally are made up of alittle whey, and ALOT of sugar.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    only weight gainer i've liked that i've tried so far is cytogainer. has whey protein, but high GI carbs, so the only time this is a good call is for PWO.

other than PWO, the majority of weight gainers out there should never be consumed. they simply digest way too quickly cause of the high GI carbs. at any other time, making your own is the best bet.

personally, i keep mine simple. i just mix up whey protein with whole wheat oat flour. oat flour is very finely ground oats, so it mixes real easy and goes down smooth (but a little chalky tasting). if you want to add some extra flavor to it, toss in some peanut butter or some low GI fruits.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    weight gainers are stupid..
    I concur.
    Add solid meals and protein supps, the weight will come.

M.

Thread Information