stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici

L-Glutamine, Waste of money??

Recently found a few studies that confirm it has trouble getting past the gut and 90% of it doesn't get absorbed. Only poisitive ones have been through IV.

Question: Has you tried it and noticed any improvements in strength/recovery?

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    Recently found a few studies that confirm it has trouble getting past the gut and 90% of it doesn't get absorbed. Only poisitive ones have been through IV. true in general but in my case it worked very very well.

Question: Has you tried it and noticed any improvements in strength/recovery? i made a great jump keeping eating and training in the same way.
    go for it

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I noticed better recovery times when i took it

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I use it daily myself, i take a few supps so its hard to tell which is doing what but I believe it does help me.

BIGJOL is offline Associate Member
    i use it everyday aswell..so i dont notice it as much now..but i no when i first started taking it, yea alot better recovery times.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    I wrote up on it. And with studies:

The title of the thread says it all, it doesn't make any sense to supplement with glutamine. Unlike BCAAs there is no solid scientific backing to support its use. First thing is that glutamine will not increase maximal performance in your exercises. Glutamine will not enhance recovery from high intensity exercise. It will not aid to enhance muscle-glycogen re-synthesis or new muscle protein synthesis. Also it will not prevent the depression of the immune system during bouts of exercise.

Benefits to supplementation?
    -You can brag to people that you put glutamine in your protein shakes.
    -May enhance overall immune function (not during bouts of exercise).

Another thing to think about is that glutamine is a very abundant amino acid, probably more abundant in foods than any other amino acid. The body produces glutamine through a conversion of ammonia, a byproduct of proteolysis. The body has tons of access to glutamine which is another reason supplementation really is a true waste of money.

Klimax is offline Member
    I heard that bcaa are glutammine precursos. So if you take bcca, you should be ok also regarding gluta, shouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    I heard that bcaa are glutammine precursos. So if you take bcca, you should be ok also regarding gluta, shouldn't you?
    .....what?

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    yeh ironmaiden708 pretty much summed it up IMO. Most foods are loaded with Glutamine including all your protein powders especially casein and soy. But i guess many people swear by it.... making it a very good placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post

The title of the thread says it all, it doesn't make any sense to supplement with glutamine. Unlike BCAAs there is no solid scientific backing to support its use. First thing is that glutamine will not increase maximal performance in your exercises. Glutamine will not enhance recovery from high intensity exercise. It will not aid to enhance muscle-glycogen re-synthesis or new muscle protein synthesis. Also it will not prevent the depression of the immune system during bouts of exercise.

Another thing to think about is that glutamine is a very abundant amino acid, probably more abundant in foods than any other amino acid. The body produces glutamine through a conversion of ammonia, a byproduct of proteolysis. The body has tons of access to glutamine which is another reason supplementation really is a true waste of money.
    Nice post man.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    No need for extra glutamine supplementation, most protein powders have a ton of it anyway. If anything I would take BCAA's verse anything else.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post

Hmm, some of that looks familiar...
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Hmm, some of that looks familiar...
    Really? First time I've posted it...?

Thread Information