jg42058p is offline Member

will drinking lots of water help burn FAT?

I've heard that when you burn body fat, aside from it coming out in body sweat, it also comes out through urine...

So by hypothesis, if you drank lots and lots of water and were constantly flushing your system out, would this not increase the rate at which fat is burned off from the body?

just wondering

matt77 is offline Member
    Well not exactly, There are fatty acids excreted in urine but the consumption of excess water wouldn't really burn more fat. Now you can burn a little more by consuming cold water. The body must heat the water to body temp for digestion thus burning calories. Drinking lots of water overall will help with weightloss because of many other reasons too but it won't help you piss out more fat.

Frank1 is offline New Member
    A gallon a day works pretty good with me. Thats not including shakes,coffee, and the occasional diet Pepsi. Oh, 5'11" @220

MurphDawgg485 is offline Junior Member
    !!!!!!!!!! i can drink coffee???? i havent had caffein in like a month cause someone told me it was bad when you are taking creatine WTF?! if this is not true lemme know

Teufel_Hunden is offline Associate Member
    Its ok to have caffeine when taking creatine, just don't take the two together (i.e. don't mix your creatine with a pepsi).

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    DO NOT... drink too much water to 'flush' your system.

I did this when I was an eighteen year old kid joining the Army. I was in Basic Training. I drank almost 1 1/2 gallons of water in 5 hours (like 10 canteens). I noticed that I was pissing a lot every 10-20 minutes. I mean A LOT. Next thing you know, I get dizzy as **** and my eyes start to go black. I went limp and fell to the floor. I got really cold. I went to my room and just slept for a whole day. I was on quarters for "hypertblahblah(some crap). Be careful- it is possible to drink too much water. Too much water can be toxic.

Stick to 1-2 gallons of water per day, not in 5 hours lol.

Also, IMO, water causes fat loss from replacing other drinks which contain excessive calories.

matt77 is offline Member
    Man in the summer if Im having to PT outside or if Im doing yard work I can drink a 1/2 gallon an hour easy. Ofcourse I do sweat like pig so thats why I can do it I guess.

Hey Bigkuntry I think 10 canteens would be 2.5 gallons. I think for one of the reasons you got sick is why they control how much you drink now.

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKuntry1984 View Post

I did this when I was an eighteen year old kid joining the Army. I was in Basic Training. I drank almost 1 1/2 gallons of water in 5 hours (like 10 canteens). I noticed that I was pissing a lot every 10-20 minutes. I mean A LOT. Next thing you know, I get dizzy as **** and my eyes start to go black. I went limp and fell to the floor. I got really cold. I went to my room and just slept for a whole day. I was on quarters for "hypertblahblah(some crap). Be careful- it is possible to drink too much water. Too much water can be toxic.

Stick to 1-2 gallons of water per day, not in 5 hours lol.

Also, IMO, water causes fat loss from replacing other drinks which contain excessive calories.
    Why would you drink that much water in the first place? I sometimes drink too fast while working out and well not a good feeling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_m63 View Post
    Why would you drink that much water in the first place? I sometimes drink too fast while working out and well not a good feeling either.

In the Army you don't have a choice. When they tell you to drink, you drink. "Forced Hydration" they call it. It is because I came in in 2003 as an Infantryman. The war in Iraq was starting to get into full swing. They were trying to make us tough as nails.

I am glad it was like that. I do the same thing to my soldiers, and I have NEVER lost one to a heat injury. I don't make them drink 10 canteens though lol. I determine the amount they need to drink from physical exertion and wet bulb readings

s_b_t is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDawgg485 View Post
    !!!!!!!!!! i can drink coffee???? i havent had caffein in like a month cause someone told me it was bad when you are taking creatine WTF?! if this is not true lemme know
    The reason someone advised you to not drink coffee while you are utilizing creatine is because creatine is a cell volumizer, which means it helps your muscles to hold more water than usual or than it could generally hold on its own. obviously as long as you are drinking enough water for you body(muscles) to hold onto. The problem is coffee (caffeine, as well and any other type of stimulate) acts as a diuretic which elevates the rate of urination thus increasing the excretion of water from body. This would be counter productive to take on supplement that helps your body to hold water to only take another that "helps" your body remove water. Obviously I use the terms helps loosely.
    I hope this clears that up for you.
    p.s. This doesn't mean that you can't take stimulates while you are using creatine. But if you feel that you must take something for energy you really have to pound the water. Good luck my friend.

crazypat123 is offline Associate Member
    water is proven to help metabolize fat.

Okinawa_Power is offline Senior Member
    In the Army you don't have a choice. When they tell you to drink, you drink. "Forced Hydration" they call it. It is because I came in in 2003 as an Infantryman. The war in Iraq was starting to get into full swing. They were trying to make us tough as nails.

I am glad it was like that. I do the same thing to my soldiers, and I have NEVER lost one to a heat injury. I don't make them drink 10 canteens though lol. I determine the amount they need to drink from physical exertion and wet bulb readings

I joined in 1994 and forced hydration was happening everyday!!!! Now they realize it is retarded and they have stopped forced hydration......You drink what you need when you need it.......

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member

I did this when I was an eighteen year old kid joining the Army. I was in Basic Training. I drank almost 1 1/2 gallons of water in 5 hours (like 10 canteens). I noticed that I was pissing a lot every 10-20 minutes. I mean A LOT. Next thing you know, I get dizzy as **** and my eyes start to go black. I went limp and fell to the floor. I got really cold. I went to my room and just slept for a whole day. I was on quarters for "hypertblahblah(some crap). Be careful- it is possible to drink too much water. Too much water can be toxic...
    Hyponatremia

Hyponatremia is a metabolic condition in which there is not enough sodium (salt) in the body fluids outside the cells. When the amount of sodium in fluids outside cells drops, water moves into the cells to balance the levels. This causes the cells to swell with too much water. Although most cells can handle this swelling, brain cells cannot, because the skull bones confine them. Brain swelling causes most of the symptoms -- Abnormal mental status:
    - Confusion
    - Decreased consciousness
    - Hallucinations
    - Possible coma
    - Convulsions
    - Fatigue
    - Headache
    - Irritability
    - Loss of appetite
    - Muscle spasms or cramps
    - Muscle weakness
    - Nausea
    - Restlessness
    - Vomiting

Nasty stuff, and if severe enough, it can kill you. Rangers at the Grand Canyon deal with this hundreds of times each summer with hikers, especially along the Bright Angel Trail. People will drink plenty of water because it's a maintained trail with a number of water stations, but they won't eat anything. Some where about 1-3 miles from the rim they start to get dopey and all jacked up. The cure is to introduce some electrolytes to the system and have them consume some saltines.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Ed View Post
    Hyponatremia

Hyponatremia is a metabolic condition in which there is not enough sodium (salt) in the body fluids outside the cells. When the amount of sodium in fluids outside cells drops, water moves into the cells to balance the levels. This causes the cells to swell with too much water. Although most cells can handle this swelling, brain cells cannot, because the skull bones confine them. Brain swelling causes most of the symptoms -- Abnormal mental status:
    - Confusion
    - Decreased consciousness
    - Hallucinations
    - Possible coma
    - Convulsions
    - Fatigue
    - Headache
    - Irritability
    - Loss of appetite
    - Muscle spasms or cramps
    - Muscle weakness
    - Nausea
    - Restlessness
    - Vomiting

Nasty stuff, and if severe enough, it can kill you. Rangers at the Grand Canyon deal with this hundreds of times each summer with hikers, especially along the Bright Angel Trail. People will drink plenty of water because it's a maintained trail with a number of water stations, but they won't eat anything. Some where about 1-3 miles from the rim they start to get dopey and all jacked up. The cure is to introduce some electrolytes to the system and have them consume some saltines.

Exactly. Well.... it should be a 'preventive measure' rather than a cure.

Listen guys..... when you start pissing every 30 minutes, and it is a LOT of piss, and it is crystal clear... then EAT and maybe down a gatorade. Stop drinking the water as well

Thread Information