CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member

How to make your PWO protein shake! (Good read)

Okay, so many people out there are confused about what type of protein to use, what to mix it in, when to drink it, ect. This explains it all! Just sit back and read to get the most out of your protein shake.

So after your workout your body is damaged, and it needs to repair itself as fast as possible, in order to build muscle of course. So, how can achieve this as best as possible?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1.Choose a fast digesting protein. The protein of choice is Whey. Whey is the fastest digesting protein and comes in many different brands, so you shouldn't have a problem getting it.

2.Include a slow protein in your shake. Casein protein has a digesting time up to 7 hours. Now, why would we include both a slow and fast digesting protein? Because it helps repair your muscles and make them bigger.

3. Mix your shake with milk, not water. Milk's is protein is 80% casein and if you use the right amount you can get anywhere from 10-20g of extra protein in your shake.

4. Include liquid egg whites in you shake. Why egg whites? There are many reasons but the most important is because you should have an intermediate digesting protein too. 1/2 a cup with suffice. It also adds a good taste to the shake as well. And if you are one of the unfortunate ones who have casein intolerance this makes for a good substitute .

5. Blenders make the best shakes. Shaker bottles are effective too, however, if you do not shake it enough and it clumps in your bottle, your body may not be able to digest it as well. Just mix the ingredients into the blender, turn in on for 30 seconds, and enjoy!

6. Drink you PWO shake as fast as possible! It is more important than it sounds. Bring your shake with you to the gym. Drink it immediately after your workout. I've seen way to many people leave the gym and drink the shake when they get home.

7. Include carbohydrates somewhere in your shake. If not, make sure its somewhere in your PWO meal. Make sure it is fast digesting carbs! Your body needs glucose to help repair damaged tissue as fast as it can get it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My suggested protein shake:

One scoop of serious mass (http://www.discountsupplements.com/O..._p/2730098.htm) 25g of protein, mostly whey. 125 fast digesting carbohydrates. 2.5g of fat. (625 calories)

Two cup of fat free milk. 18g of casein protein. 24 carbohydrates. (168 calories)

1/2 of liquid egg whites. 12g of egg protein. (48 calories)

Total macros and calories:
    53g of protein. (22g from Whey, 18g from casein, 13g from egg whites)
    149g of fast digesting carbohydrates. (125g from serious mass, 24 from milk)
    2.5g of fat. (All from serious mass, only .75g is saturated.)
    830 calories.

Its got everything you need. 3 types of protein. Fast, intermediate, and slow di37gesting. 149g fast digesting carbohydrates to help repair damaged tissue. Also a very good source for over 25 vitamins and minerals too. Enjoy !

(please note, before anybody says I'm wrong everything I have included in this thread is based on studies and clinical tests. Feel free to give comments and/or suggestions)
    Last edited by CMB; 07-22-2010 at 10:31 AM.

BigIce is offline Associate Member
    You must have some super cows there in Limbo Land, milk made up of 90% protein

Typo perhaps

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    a few things are wrong here...

milk isnt 90% casein protein.... the actual milk protein is 80% casein and 20% whey.

the adding of casein protein for slow digestion i dont really think is a good idea also, get your quick fix of fast digestable protein then 30 mins later eat some real food, thats just my opinion.

And liquid egg whites?? well we all know about their bogus digestion but thats another thread lol.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    a few things are wrong here...

milk isnt 90% casein protein.... the actual milk protein is 80% casein and 20% whey.

the adding of casein protein for slow digestion i dont really think is a good idea also, get your quick fix of fast digestable protein then 30 mins later eat some real food, thats just my opinion.

And liquid egg whites?? well we all know about their bogus digestion but thats another thread lol.
    Oops your right that was a typo it is 80% sorry. But the macros are correct.

And adding casein and egg whites with whey has shown to have the MOST ANABOLIC effects. So you can think what you want, to each his own, but this is correct.

Thread Information