grumpee is offline Associate Member

Is whey protein or egg white protein really needed

Is whey protein or egg white protein really needed post work out if you eat egg whites or chicken or steak within 30 minutes of your work out with a caeb source ? I stopped buying protein powders awhile back and put my money more towards whole foods and gear rather than supps, just wondering if its costing me gains ?

Stephen73ta is offline Associate Member
    You need whey because it is broken down and absorbed faster then whole foods..

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen73ta View Post
    You need whey because it is broken down and absorbed faster then whole foods..
    You dont "need" it at all.

Whey is absorbed pretty f*cking quick, but that doesnt mean eating whole food PWO wont work either.

jypoll is offline Member
    You dont need to have whey, but you need protein, whey is just a convenient and efficient source

You guys are right, you dont have to have whey.. But you will see better results by consuming whey protein pwo then just whole foods alone. You can buy whey protein pretty cheap man. I buy 5 lbs at Sams Club for $27 and it last about a month. Take your whey shake within 20 minutes of finishing your workout and an hour or so later eat your whole foods. Whey is crucial imo you wont be disappointed.

bruary17 is offline Member
    Whey is essential to give you an edge. A high quality whey protein source such as ON is critical during your open window, which is immediatly after your workout. Your muscles are broken down and depleated post workout and the quick break down and absorbtion of whey gets into your blood stream and feeds your depleated muscles.

grumpee is offline Associate Member
    Is egg white protein just as efficient as whey since its absorbed fast ?

bruary17 is offline Member
    Egg whites are composed of I believe 90% water/10% protein. That makes them easily digestable they also contain ALL essential amino acids. There one of the highest anabolic proteins available. A food source protein is always better then a shake...if you have the means to ingest cooked egg whites immediatly after a work out, by all means do it up! But just know that fast digesting carbs such as white bread can spike your insulin levels....which you want for muscle growth.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    You guys are right, you dont have to have whey.. But you will see better results by consuming whey protein pwo then just whole foods alone. You can buy whey protein pretty cheap man. I buy 5 lbs at Sams Club for $27 and it last about a month. Take your whey shake within 20 minutes of finishing your workout and an hour or so later eat your whole foods. Whey is crucial imo you wont be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruary17 View Post
    Whey is essential to give you an edge. A high quality whey protein source such as ON is critical during your open window, which is immediatly after your workout. Your muscles are broken down and depleated post workout and the quick break down and absorbtion of whey gets into your blood stream and feeds your depleated muscles.
    Whey PWO is NOT better than "whole food PWO".

Whey is good PWO as its absorbed so quick. However, its absorbed too fast and doesnt slow protein breakdown in the hours following your exercise. The net anabolic effect of casein PWO is superoir to Whey alone over a 24 hour peroid.

A mix of both Whey/Casein is best as you get the increase in protein synthesis from the Whey, then the dramatic slowing down of amino breakdown (catabolism), after exercise.

Dont buy into the supplement and marketin bullshit you read about Whey being some magical potion, its not.

Quote Originally Posted by bruary17 View Post
    Egg whites are composed of I believe 90% water/10% protein. That makes them easily digestable they also contain ALL essential amino acids. There one of the highest anabolic proteins available. A food source protein is always better then a shake...if you have the means to ingest cooked egg whites immediatly after a work out, by all means do it up! But just know that fast digesting carbs such as white bread can spike your insulin levels....which you want for muscle growth.
    There is no evidence simple carbs are better than complex carbs PWO for an insulin boost. You can also not restore glycogen levels PWO. It takes far longer than that.

That is why we consume whey then whole foods.. There's nothing magical about whey protein.. From personal experience I have noticed better results and gains when consuming whey protein pwo then followed by whole foods rather then whole foods alone. Try whole foods only for 6 weeks then try using whey and post your results.. It's not rocket science why everyone takes whey.

I also do not agree with simple carbs pwo.. I have always consumed complex.

tRexford is offline New Member
    That is why we consume whey then whole foods.. There's nothing magical about whey protein.. From personal experience I have noticed better results and gains when consuming whey protein pwo then followed by whole foods rather then whole foods alone. Try whole foods only for 6 weeks then try using whey and post your results.. It's not rocket science why everyone takes whey.

I also do not agree with simple carbs pwo.. I have always consumed complex.
    Back in my swimming days when I used to consume carbs with my PWO shake, I heard of conflicting reports between using simple carbs, complex, or a mixture of the two(which supposedly opens up more metabolic pathways??). Did not feel much of a difference between the complex and the mixture, however I felt like using a bunch of simple carbs messed with my BGL's too much, especially when the proteins are pretty much being absorbed at the same rate anyways.

Thread Information