PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

BCAA question. Intra workout or pre & post?

I'm just wondering whats the best way to supplement BCAA's. I've heard of guys taking them during their workout and pre/post workout.

What do you guys do? I've heard they absorb very quickly so to take them intra workout. I've also been reading most guys on here seem to take them pre/post. Does it matter? I've been taking 5 g during fasted morning cardio to prevent muscle breakdown, 5 g during my lift sessions in the afternoon, and my post workout protein / carb shake contains a mixture, I'm not sure of the ratio off hand.

So is there really a specific time to be taking these or does it just come down to preferance?

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Intra, IMO it wouldn't hurt to take a little more (10-20g) before cardio and intra workout. There's plenty of BCAA supplements where 1 scoop equals about 10g. You're getting BCAAs from your food stuff all day, so it really only seems necessary at these times.

how soon should I be taking it beforehand? Immediately before or can I throw it in with my Jack3d 45 minutes before?

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Intra = during, for your cardio just slam your bcaas n go

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    I drink them while I work out.....seems to work best for me

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I usually like to take my bcaas before cardio and before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Intra = during, for your cardio just slam your bcaas n go
    Alright, I thought you were saying to take them before and during lift sessions.

maxcaughey is offline New Member
    I take BCAAs before my workout.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take my BCAA's prior to and immediately following exercise; however, if I am performing a rather prolonged workout for some reason that day, I will gladly take another serving during workout for the purpose of anabolic aid.

There is no fixed serving size for BCAA's. Some BCAA supplements have a scoop that gives you a serving size of 6 gr, whereas some others come with 10 gr serving size scoops. Moreover, some new tech whey hydrosalates can go up to a serving of 19 gr of BCAA's. They are very fast acting aminos so I doubt there will an issue of delayed delivery to the muscle when you go up to 20 gr in a single serving, per se.

Just for the record, I have read that Cutler takes 80 gr of BCAA's immediately after his workout in a prior Muscle & Fitness interview. With all the mass he carries around, that did not surprise me...

Thread Information