Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member

Melatonin reduces estradiol level

If we are to believe a small Israeli study published seven years ago in the Journal of Andrology, the sleep hormone melatonin reduces the production of estradiol in a quarter of all men. Melatonin also reduces sperm quality in the same group.

Test tube studies show that melatonin inhibits the enzyme aromatase, and animal studies have shown that if too little estradiol is produced, sperm quality declines. Because millions of men worldwide take melatonin to help them sleep or as an anti-aging substance, the researchers wanted to know whether this had an effect on male fertility.

The researchers gave eight healthy men a daily dose of 3 mg melatonin for a period of six months. The product that the researchers used was Melatone. The men took their melatonin pill at 5 o’clock in the afternoon, the time at which the body is most receptive to melatonin.

Below you can see that the sperm quality of two of the eight men did indeed decline. The figure shows the sperm motility before the study started, after 3 and 6 months of taking the supplement, and 3 and 6 months after supplementation had stopped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aromela3.gif 
Views:	201 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	124056

The graphs for sperm quantity resemble the graph above.

The concentration of estradiol in the blood also declined in the men whose sperm quality had deteriorated (1 and 3, responders).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aromela.gif 
Views:	189 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	124057

The melatonin supplement had no effect on the testosterone level. In the two responders the melatonin supplement caused a considerable increase in the testosterone-estradiol ratio.

The researchers conclude that it may be advisable for men who want children to be careful about taking melatonin for long periods of time. "We call for extra precaution when considering the long-term use of melatonin", they write. But we have a vague suspicion that the results of this study may well encourage some men to try out melatonin.

Source: J Androl. 2002 Jul-Aug;23(4):572-8.

ergo-log

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I learned something new today. Appreciate you sharing the knowledge.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Interesting!

zivot is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for this thread. This is some good information to know, right now I occasionally take Noxitropin PM to assist with my sleep, but I've been considering getting a Melatonin supplement.

I don't want to sound like an idiot though, but what's the difference between sperm quality and sperm count? I haven't done too much research on this matter since I assume I've never had a problem because of my age and I don't do anything to my body that would worsen it that bad, but this is some good knowledge to have for future choices since I would like to have a child one day.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sperm count refers to the amount of sperm per milliliter of semen collected.

Semen quality, on the other hand, is a measure of the ability of semen to accomplish fertilization. Thus, it is a measure of fertility in a man.

zivot is offline Junior Member
    Good to know, thank you.

traindude is offline Junior Member
    I just got my melatonin,OMG,I dont want to use it...

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I use this daily and find it a great sleep aid supplement. Thanks for posting but a study containing only 8 subjects is very small and in most cases wouldn't even class itself as a study. Would be interesting if we could find more research done on this subject using a larger case load.

Interesting stuff though

Jonnyg419 is offline Member
    whaaaaaaaaat

Thread Information