AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member

Omega-3 Supplements

I'm sure that most ppl on this site have a far greater awareness and knowledge base of omega-3 supplements than most doctors, but I wanted to share some new information that has come to light regarding there use over the past few years. Although I strongly advocate the use of prescription fish oil supplements, I have no financial benefit from doing so. Also, I am posting this bc I think it's especially important to consume omega-3's if taking AAS.

Lovaza, the first prescription fish oil supplement, gained a lot of popularity as they boasted ultra low mercury levels and high potency. It also effectively reduced triglycerides and mildly increased HDL cholesterol levels (that's the good cholesterol). The usual increase is by around 8% according to the Lovaza studies. This boost in HDL is so important bc many AAS decrease HDL levels. Extremely low HDL levels can precipitate sudden cardiac death.

It turns out that the DHA in Lovaza can raise LDL cholesterol levels (that's the bad kind) by as much as 30%. Many doctors did not see this effect on their patients bc it was masked by the large amount of patients already taking a statin cholesterol lowering medication before starting Lovaza, which would prevent the DHA from potentially raising LDL levels as drastically. I don't think many of us on this site who consume omega-3 supplements are taking a cholesterol lowering medicine as well. So we are prone to this potential for LDL increase when taking omega-3 supplements. This LDL increase is seen with many other fish oil and omega-3 supplements bc they contain DHA/EPA ratios similar to that of Lovaza.

There is a new prescription fish oil supplement called Vascazen, which is purified to decrease mercury levels and increase potency. Vascazen is mostly EPA with a much lower amount of DHA and smaller amounts of some other omega-3 fatty acids. (I have been taking it for the past 4 months. But my doctor hadn't even heard of it before I asked him for a script). Vascepa is another prescription fish oil supplement that should be available next year. It is almost entirely EPA.

I encourage you to consider this information when deciding what omega-3 supplement you take. If your insurance will cover Vascazen with a reasonable copay, you may want to consider asking your doctor for a prescription. Otherwise when buying your omega-3 supplement, pay notice to the amount of DHA it contains, try to find info regarding its mercury level if possible, and consider the potency. Potency is somewhat important if interested in limiting the number of pills one takes. Also, to minimize the amount of mercury ingested it may be best to get as much omega-3's as possible while consuming the least amount of fish oil.

Of course eating plenty of fish may be better than taking fish oil supplements, but unfortunately one would need to eat several pounds of fish every day to match the amount of omega-3's ingested via supplements.

Lastly, I know many ppl are very much into krill oil supplements for their omega-3's. I have heard good things from my peers, but I just don't have the same experience and knowledge regarding krill oil supplements. I don't know of any pharmaceutical grade krill oil supplements and I have not been able to find a brand that is potent in the amount of omega-3's per capsule.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Here is another perspective on the issue:

We are living in a toxic world and what the fish industry won't tell you is that pretty much all seafood in our day will eventually and inevitably lead to toxic build-up in your system when consumed for long periods of time and especially when consumed aggressively. Even fish that come from allegedly ''clean'' waters such as Northern seas have shown to contain heavy metals which are known to be toxic in recent studies, which leads me suggest that you may want to introduce a variety of non-seafood foods to your diet that are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.

Look into these foods that are Omega-3 rich instead:

- Flax Seeds and/or flax seed oil
    - Nuts, especially walnuts
    - Kiwi fruit
    - Eggs from cage-free chickens (aka omega-3 eggs)
    - Meat from grass-fed animals
    - Milk and cheese from grass-fed cows
    - Pumpkin seeds
    - Brussels sprouts
    - Kale
    - Mint
    - Parsley
    - Spinach
    - Watercress
    - Oats
    - Peanuts & PB

Bon apetite!

AnabolicDoc is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you offer a great perspective!

PeptoPro is offline New Member
    Need to consider the inefficient conversion of ALA in flax to EPA (heart) and DHA (brain). I don't know the number but its low and not adequate...leaving prescriptions, fish oil, or algae derived EPA/DHA.
    -Most (not all) Fish Oil Omega-3 supps are refined and toxin free, finding what is and isn't is the hard part. Prenatal Omega-3 with high EPA/DHA are safest bet. Application science continues to improve and ingesting toxins might under-weigh the benefits.
    -If concerned with fish toxins or don't like fish, take algae Omega (have to look close for EPA content as most are DHA only unless microalgae).
    -Take EPA/DHA every single day!!

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Here is another perspective on the issue:

We are living in a toxic world and what the fish industry won't tell you is that pretty much all seafood in our day will eventually and inevitably lead to toxic build-up in your system when consumed for long periods of time and especially when consumed aggressively. Even fish that come from allegedly ''clean'' waters such as Northern seas have shown to contain heavy metals which are known to be toxic in recent studies, which leads me suggest that you may want to introduce a variety of non-seafood foods to your diet that are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.

Look into these foods that are Omega-3 rich instead:

- Flax Seeds and/or flax seed oil
    - Nuts, especially walnuts
    - Kiwi fruit
    - Eggs from cage-free chickens (aka omega-3 eggs)
    - Meat from grass-fed animals
    - Milk and cheese from grass-fed cows
    - Pumpkin seeds
    - Brussels sprouts
    - Kale
    - Mint
    - Parsley
    - Spinach
    - Watercress
    - Oats
    - Peanuts & PB

Bon apetite!
    I like that,,,if your able to get it through food/diet then that would be my choice.

Stay away from Flax Seed and Soy; both are estrogen mimics and it's the last thing men need to introduce into their bodies.

bcaasdirty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdevine View Post
    Stay away from Flax Seed and Soy; both are estrogen mimics and it's the last thing men need to introduce into their bodies.
    WHAT??? I never knew that! How great is the effect?

You wouldnt happen to have a study/thread about that do you GD? (I believe you, I just like to get my nutritional nerd on! )

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdevine View Post
    That picture is to distracting for me to bother with your post.

Thread Information