Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Turkish Juicer
  • 1 Post By M302_Imola

Thread: Whey protein isolate vs. whey protein isolate/casein protein mix

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member

Whey protein isolate vs. whey protein isolate/casein protein mix

Before I expand on the thread title, I know that we should be getting most of our protein from actual food. I was just curious as I recently read that a mixture of whey protein isolate and casein protein is better than just one of them by themselves, regardless of the time that you take them. Obviously I am assuming an equal amount of protein in both cases. I have been only taking casein protein before I go to bed. Should I start putting half a scoop of whey protein isolate and half a scoop of casein protein in my shakes?

Anyone want to enlighten me on this topic? I would appreciate it.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Although there is available research suggesting that mixture of both whey isolate & casein protein works better than whey and/or casein alone, I honestly think that results will not significantly differ, meaning you won't see much of a difference in terms of your development and/or body composition.

I would continue to follow your routine of PWO Whey isolate and Casein only before bed.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

Okay Turkish Juicer, thanks for the response.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I switched over to a whey/casein blend in my pwo shake awhile back instead of just straight whey and I feel like I've benefited from it. Not to mention, it stays with me a lot longer and keeps me more full. I swear I'm starving 30 mins after just straight whey, which makes since as whey is digested super quickly...adding casein slows things down.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

M302_Imola, I usually am pretty hungry soon after I work out too; but I tend to eat within 30 - 45 minutes after I lift anyway. I just started adding egg whites into my post-workout shake, but I still may experiment with adding some casein as well.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    M302_Imola, I usually am pretty hungry soon after I work out too; but I tend to eat within 30 - 45 minutes after I lift anyway. I just started adding egg whites into my post-workout shake, but I still may experiment with adding some casein as well.
    Egg whites are good as well...basically, anything that slows whey down (egg whites or casein). I eat an hour after my pwo shake so the casein/whey blend doesn't leave me to full to eat an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Egg whites are good as well...basically, anything that slows whey down (egg whites or casein). I eat an hour after my pwo shake so the casein/whey blend doesn't leave me to full to eat an hour later.
    Ah, I was afraid it would make me too full to eat. I will probably do protein mixes from time to time then. Honestly, I was only adding egg whites to increase my daily amount of protein; but if it has the added benefit of being slowly digested, then I will definitely continue this. I recently read how many liquid egg whites members here drink. Some members drink a quart per day! I decided this would be an easy way (no to mention the added benefit of being actual food) to increase my protein intake.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Ah, I was afraid it would make me too full to eat. I will probably do protein mixes from time to time then. Honestly, I was only adding egg whites to increase my daily amount of protein; but if it has the added benefit of being slowly digested, then I will definitely continue this. I recently read how many liquid egg whites members here drink. Some members drink a quart per day! I decided this would be an easy way (no to mention the added benefit of being actual food) to increase my protein intake.
    Yes I drink around 16 oz. of liquid egg whites per day. I don't think it will make you to full so give it a shot.

Thread Information