Thread: Lower Cardio?

Jay1122 is offline New Member

Lower Cardio?

I was at the gym tonight doing my chest and tris heavy. One of my friends who is a litte older than I am, told me not to do so much Carido(30-45 mins) or I am going to ruin my gains from my weight lifting. Is this true or should I do 30-45mins of cardio 5 days a week to lower my BF% or will it really make me grow slower?

doby48 is offline Female Member
    You should do 45 min of cardio, how often depends on if you are cutting or not. If you are cutting you can go as much as 5 days a week, if you are not cutting then 2-3 days is sufficent. Having said that, as long as your HR is between 60% - 75% your MaxHR then you are fine and not going to ruin your weight lifting gains. If you are higher than that, that is a differnet story, lower your not getting the max benefits of cardio.

Also I should mention that you should not be doing cardio before lifting as you don't want to be fatigued when you lift. Its best to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and lift weights later in the day if possible.
    Last edited by doby48; 02-08-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: edited for typo
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    don't let your friends confuse your priorities.

If you're cutting.. you're cutting..

Do what's required: multiple cardio sessions tru-out the week.. at 30-90 minutes (depending on your goals.. what part of your training cycle you're in.. whether it's an off day or normal training day etc.)

If you're bulking.. then bulk

Don't let goals that are totally independent of each other(cutting: where the goal is LBm maintenance... bulking: where the goal is LBm increase) conflict.. or 6 months later you'll be still at this same point floundering

~Narkissos

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    That's a good post by nark, you shoudl listen to him. I have definately made that mistake before and waisted some precious time/improvement opportunity

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Agree with all above^^^
    Also, you need a PWO shake as soon as possible after working out, so a long cardio would not help with gains in that respect IMO...

Thread Information