Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    primetime1 is offline Member

--SQUATS--who goes parallel??

Just wanted to see how many of yous go parallel when squating?

ive done squats this way since football testing when the coach didnt count the reps that were not parallel so its just kinda burned in my mind to go that deep.
    im interested to know others views on this, how deep you go or why you dont go that deep, pros and cons to each.

post away!!!

millersir7 is offline New Member
    i kinda feel like i'm cheating myself if i don't go parallel. I see 150lb guys doing 405lb squats all the time but they go down to about 45 degrees, it makes me sick. Its a mental thing for me. I feel as though i'm making myself mentally and physically tougher by going parallel.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I go to parallel with my box squats. Only go as low as you are able to maintain neutral spinal alignment.

good stuff.. keep it coming

at least parallel, i usually find that my legs hurt more if i go further so as my ass touches my calves

jef
    jef is offline Member
    I'm quite a bit taller and going parallel hurts my knees and my back seems to arch forward too much...slightly above par.

anabolicarms is offline Associate Member
    i go down parallel, although it hurts my knees sumtimes

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I know I do.. If I don't my trainer does not count the rep so I don't cheat on them it sucks when I have to do extra's.

Funny people stacking on weight and not even bending their legs hardly at all.. waste of time.

Oldman

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    I am only 5'8....so its ass to the grass for me.

theres a dude at my gym who does these crap squats, i mean its a joke to watch this dude even go to the squat rack and load up the plates and only go down about 4-6 inches.

if i dont go parallel, i feel im cheating..

good info all!!!

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

A little more

Just a few weeks ago I was going all the way down (ass to calves) and a Dr. in the gym told me that the return/ risk, in his opinion, was not worth going so deep. I'm just breaking parallel now: like maybe 75 degrees.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    The best squats are on the smith machine going all the way down until your ass touches your ankles, can only do this every so often as the knees can only take so much. As far as a free weight squat, if your not going to at least parallel, youre wasting your time.

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grappler13
    Just a few weeks ago I was going all the way down (ass to calves) and a Dr. in the gym told me that the return/ risk, in his opinion, was not worth going so deep. I'm just breaking parallel now: like maybe 75 degrees.

That Dr. is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    The best squats are on the smith machine going all the way down until your ass touches your ankles, can only do this every so often as the knees can only take so much. As far as a free weight squat, if your not going to at least parallel, youre wasting your time.
    Squat + Smith Machine = bad news for me.

I use it for other things at times, but hate how it forces your body during squats. Good way to hurt yourself

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by damiongage
    I am only 5'8....so its ass to the grass for me.
    Haha........ I'm 5'7" so I have less to travel.

I go parallel or lower.............. if I can't I lower the weight.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by tretch187
    That Dr. is an idiot.
    Seems like a nice guy and works at Walter Ried Medical Center in DC putting our boys back together after they come back from the war theatre. It was only his opinion. I'm alway sopen to suggestions and like to push real weight but I'd also like to do it until I'm old. My knees seem fine som maybe I alter (few weeks parallel and a few real deep weeks?).

Again, I told him I'm not bodybuilding so he thought I'd get more life out of squats just past 90 degrees. I'm always open to suggestions. My cousin is built like me although he's a little farther along (6'3, 210, benches 400 max and squats 400 and change). He only goes a little past 90 as well.

sputnik is offline Banned
    who goes parallel???????????????

the question should be who doesn't go below parallel!

Anything above parallel isn't a squat, it's a poor imitation.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I go to parallel. If I go lower than that, I start bending over at the waist and it isn't very pretty. Im 6 2 and I have pretty long legs so it takes awhile to get down there anyway..I feel bad for the realllly tall guys

ironmike250 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jef
    I'm quite a bit taller and going parallel hurts my knees and my back seems to arch forward too much...slightly above par.
    I feel your pain there brother, I'm 6'4.

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    i go parallel, but it is very uncomfortable to do so. i have to lean forward too far. im not too tall, my body mechanics or whatever just arent right for it. but if i dont go parallel, my legs dont have that deep, burning "finished" feeling, like i have managed to hit all muscle fibers so i suck it up

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik

well, in my head i think that is tru also, but i see so many ppl at my gym doin these pansy ass half squats..
    was curious as to how all the bros here perform their squats, concensious def goin with full parallel..
    keep it coming.. any one have some other info to share, as for as developing better legs from squats, any variation of them..

sometimes i toss 10 lb plates under my heals and rep 225 for hittin my quads lil harder.. works well, but have heard its not to great for the knees?

Well I’ve always gone to at least parallel, but since I’ve got more flexible I pretty much do a full squat, with a normal stance, not powerlifting style.

I do agree with Papi, you should only go as low as the point just before ur back rounds.

When I used to go to a gym, I used to cringe at all those big guys and everyone else doing quarter squats and then those clowns doing squats on the smith machine, and leaning back against it.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik

Man truer statements have not been said

When i'm in my strength phase i squat to parallel.

Right now i'm in my hypertrophy phase so I squat ass to calves.

Anything over parallel as my man sputnik said.. is not a squat... lol

sputnik: i agree, when i see that i laugh and just think to my self..what retards they are,
    anyone ever try the plates under the heels?

chinups Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Haha........ I'm 5'7" so I have less to travel.

I go parallel or lower.............. if I can't I lower the weight.
    ahah

mudman-I see less and less of ppl around here lately that joined a couple yrs back. Although looking at ppl's avatar kindas throws me off. Obviously ppl changed them

Sup mud

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    sputnik: i agree, when i see that i laugh and just think to my self..what retards they are,
    i used them in almost every squat for a couple months, and still do when doing front squats. for me the benefit was allowing me to get deeper into the hole without ruining form and balance. plates or a board under your heels prevent the achilles tendon from having to stretch, which is part of the reason your heels come off the floor.

anybody ever notice that everyone has a diff reason for the plates tho? ive heard it activates the hamstrings, my reasoning, and that it activates the quads....kind of a paradox

chest6 is offline Banned
    Not sure..thats how I am with the body mechanics post. Maybe my legs are too long for the rest of me or the other way around? Im not sure. My form is good to me and I do go to parallel but to others they say I bend over a little bit. I dont think I could hit parallel without bending over slightly. I dont really think I'm built to squat in the first place.

exactly your not doing a squat of its not parallel. you get so much more out of it going parallel as far as working the legs is concerned.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tretch187
    Squat + Smith Machine = bad news for me.

I use it for other things at times, but hate how it forces your body during squats. Good way to hurt yourself
    Man, those work wonders for me, WAY better than a regular squat, regular squats hurt my back.

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Man, those work wonders for me, WAY better than a regular squat, regular squats hurt my back.
    I also use the smith sometimes! y do some guys not like that? doesnt it work the same? just wondering

doing squats on a smith machine gets u moving out of line with the natural plane of movement, and people have been known to get very injured squatting on them and a acpl have even died.

If your back hurts from doing regular squats, then your not squatting right. Period. It's not an excuse no to do squats as they were meant to be done. Go back and learn proper form.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime1
    Plates under the heels force your knees more forward. This results in you activating your quads more. For some, this puts too much pressure on the knee joints.

personally i like it every now and then, it works well with focusing on my quads and so far i havent had any knee issues, though i dont work with as heavy weight. only for reps with 225 on it, just a nice burner

singern is offline Banned
    I workout alone, no spotters.
    So its SMITH machine squats, down to parallel for me.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime1
    personally i like it every now and then, it works well with focusing on my quads and so far i havent had any knee issues, though i dont work with as heavy weight. only for reps with 225 on it, just a nice burner
    It's effective for working the quads. It is more for individuals with no knee issues, though.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I workout alone, no spotters.
    So its SMITH machine squats, down to parallel for me.
    Does your gym have a power rack? If it does, set the bars to spot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Does your gym have a power rack? If it does, set the bars to spot you.
    Papi93.
    Thats what I do with the smith machine, would a Power rack make a difference?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Papi93.
    Thats what I do with the smith machine, would a Power rack make a difference?
    Yes. It allows you to do the free weight movement. The free weight barbell squat will allow your body to travel in its natural movement pattern. A machine forces you into a fixed plane of movement. You stabilizer muscles will suffer as a result.

I'm not saying to never use machines. They have their place in your program. It's just that the core of your program should be free weights. Machines supplement your program.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    I'm not saying to never use machines. They have their place in your program. It's just that the core of your program should be free weights. Machines supplement your program.
    I agree completely, and I will give this a shot, and see if it indeed makes a difference.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information