Evil Predator is offline Senior Member

Military Press Question

I was doing Military presses friday, did my warmups, got to my first real working set at 225 pounds.

Now, I usually rotate sets. One set front military pres, then one set behind the neck, usually for 6 sets total.

Now, I had been told before never to lower the bar further than the top of my ear when ding presses behind the neck to avoid rotator cuff problems, but another guy, who has been training as long as ive been alive, told me that at the weights im using, i should never press behind the neck and that its just too dangerous.

So, of course I came here for advice. Any truth to any of this? Or should I keep doing what im doing? Ive definately noticed excellent shoulder development this way.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    if you did a search on military press you would find more than enough answers...

I actually did a search genius. I got lots on rotator cuff injuries, but nothing on why its so dangerous besides that...

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    IMO it depends on your preference...I dont do it usually but I HAVE done it...to me it seems safe as long as your extra cautious...I would say your friend is right in that you might want to stay away when using a lot of weight...

Grudge Keeper is offline Associate Member
    the reason it is bad is just because the shoulder joint is cranked as far back as it can go putting alot of undo preasure on the complex joint,some people seem to be able to get away with them others cant 4 long.I personally avoid them because I dont see enough extra benefit from them to risk tearing my joints up.

so what do you think gets injured when you do the presses behind your head?
    and you're search produces a lot of rotator cuff injury results???? and you're looking for why it's "so dangerous"
    i think that was your truth right there...

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=Evil Predator]I actually did a search genius.

Dont ask for help if you are going to talk to people like crap ...Do a search and you will get the help you need .

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    so what do you think gets injured when you do the presses behind your head?
    and you're search produces a lot of rotator cuff injury results???? and you're looking for why it's "so dangerous"
    i think that was your truth right there...

Rotator cuff injuries from improper form..

He says its bad for your neck and shoulders as a whole.

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    I was always told behind the neck military presses was one of the worst things you could do as injuries go, though I don't know too much about what's at risk. Novastepp, I don't think there's any prob with EP asking this question, it's a lot better than some of the other crap being constantly reposted around here. And don't fire back with "genius" or anything like that predator, it's unnecessary, let's just be friendly freaks.

i don't think it's a bad question, i asked the question not too long ago and now when i search i find plenty of reasons not to go behind the head. i don't think we're arguing here, but yeah it is terrible for rotator cuffs because of improper form, because when you go behind the head your shoulder can't maintain proper form...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    i don't think it's a bad question, i asked the question not too long ago and now when i search i find plenty of reasons not to go behind the head. i don't think we're arguing here, but yeah it is terrible for rotator cuffs because of improper form, because when you go behind the head your shoulder can't maintain proper form...

Thank you.

I guess i should have been clearer and said "is bringing the bar down past the top of your ear enough of a safety precaution to avoid serious injury"

Got a little hotheaded, rough couple of days, stress at work, and im snapping at everyone, online and off.

no prob bro...

Thread Information