24labor is offline Anabolic Member

beginner workout plan

My younger brother played football for the first time last year and started at the varsity level a few games. This comming season hell be a senior and a starter, but the coach wants him to put some size and strength on before the season. DO you think I should start him off with a basic 3x10 3 times a week thing like
    MON:legs
    WED:chest/tris/delts
    FRI:back/bis

I mean I dont want to put him on a bodybuilding style workout I'd like to get him on a HIT program or at least train for power but since he hasnt lifted weights really ever I think starting off for the first month or 2 with this basic program would be ideal then moving to some power exercises. What do you think?

Besides the weight training anyone know where to pick up some good agility drills for speed and power?

primetime1 is offline Member
    bro that sounds good to me. bascially how we did in hs football. get his diet in check and make sure hes eatin to grow!.
    as for speed and agility exersizes what posistion does he play?
    i was a dback so i can help there if youd like. another good idea for your lil bro might be streching alot also, the more flexeble you are the faster you are.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime1
    bro that sounds good to me. bascially how we did in hs football. get his diet in check and make sure hes eatin to grow!.
    as for speed and agility exersizes what posistion does he play?
    i was a dback so i can help there if youd like. another good idea for your lil bro might be streching alot also, the more flexeble you are the faster you are.
    Thanks prime!! Hes a DE/TE. DE will be his main position but hell get some TE time as well. Yea Ive been doing observations for class here at school with the sports teams and HIT programs in season and such but I figure the first few months as long as he eats and trains hell get a nice gain of both strenght and size. Thanks again bro BTW I was a DB myself

primetime1 is offline Member
    cool shit bro.. SKILLZ POSITIONS... love em.

regardless speed is necessary at TE so make sure hes working his footwork,
    does he currently do hang cleans or push presses? if not utilize them for some core strength and explosion. by the way did you play d1,2 or 3?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    WTF? Never lifted? Man, what kind of wack-ass foot ball team is that? I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe things are REALLY different in Texas. Every HS in my city has a weight room specifically for the football team. Some times, other athleats are permitted to use it. They also let me in there when I took weight and conditioning. My wrestling coach was also the strength coach. Stick with core basics. Clean and press, bench, dead lifts, squats. Do three auxilary lifts for each core lift. Each lift will have it's own day. Don't let Squats and Deads be close to each other. Try to allow as much time between those workouts as possible. Use free weights. Stay away from machines.
    Bench: Flat, incline, decline or dips leaning forwad with weight hanging off a chain. That day also hit triceps. Standing cheat extensions and narrow grip bench with elbows close on both. Vertical dips or dips behind the back on two benches with plates on the lap are good for a burnout after all that.
    Squat: Box squats or deeper, walking lunges, leg curls, straight leg dead lifts, good mornings.
    Clean and Press: Clean and press for 3x3 for two weeks, then move up to 3x5at the same weight as 3x3. Military press 3x8, Weighted chins 3x8, wide, narrow, wide first week, then narrow, wide, narrow the next week and alternate there after. Front barbell raises, side lateral raises, bent over lateral raises, shrugs.
    Dead lifts. 3x3, then 3x5. Hyper extensions, step ups, hack squat, leg press.
    Use machines on the lower body is ok for me. When I see beginers using exclusively on upper body, that's just bad to me. I only use machines when I'm rehabing and want to stay in specific plane.
    3x3 first two weeks then 3x5 with that same weight for all major lifts. Auxillary lifts are 3x8. After two weeks at 3x5, Max out and move up by 85-90% of one rep max. Auxillarys should be about 70-75% of max.
    oh, yeah, hang cleans, heavy up right row, and push press are good for shoulder day too.
    Diet is very important. Make sure he's eating eight 600 meals per day. Complex carbs 40/Protien 40/ 20 EFA's
    Last edited by 63190; 03-03-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Thread Information