sticker is offline New Member

Workout then cario then shake?

I dont know if this should be in this forum or the diet forum, but here it goes. I know it is recommended to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't have time to do it in the morning so i do it after school around 12pm. My question is i workout then do cardio. i only do cardio when i am cutting wieght. The protein i use is isopure low carb. Should i workout then consume my protein shake with dextrose, give it 10 minutes then do cardio. Or can i workoutdo cardio then have the shake? please respond with the correct order.

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    This is what i'd do.

Cardio should usually be done when u havent ate anything in atleast 2 hrs. Say ur cardio is 30 mins on the tread. U dont wanna do this on a full stomach but lifting weights is just fine on full stomach (i think).

If i was u, i'd one workout session a day. U get out of class at 12, eat a good lunch, head to the gym around 2 pm and start ur cardio and then lift and then all ur PWO shakes/supplements.

Ill give it a shot, the only reason i wouldnt want to do cardio before i lift is because I dont want to be all burned out when i lift. For cardio i usually do 20-40 minutes on the oliptical. I know the post workout shake is supposed to be consumed immediatly or 15 minutes after workout , but i was thinking that doing cardio is somewhat of a workout, so i would drink it after that which would probably be 40 minutes after my last set.

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Its true that cardio takes away energy, no doubt about that.
    But if u put ur cardio first, ur body is thoroughly warmed up, ur heart rate is up, ur muscles are loose and ready.
    And then u lift, when by the time u drink ur shakes u still fill pumped up from lifting.

On the other hand, if u lift first and then do ur cardio, by the time ur done wit the cardio, the muscle group that u have worked out does not feel pumped anymore.

thats why i like to put cardio first then lift. im sure u'll like it.

good luck

I can understand why doing cardio first is better, im gona try it out, but i was wondering for doing cardio after lifting, your post workout shake, will it not have the same effect as having after lifting? I am curious because if it will still provide the muscles the same way as having it after lifting i would then rather do cardio second.

im not so sure i agree. if you want to lose fat, you would be better having a pre workout meal maybe 90 minutes beofre you hit the gym. this means you will have the energy in you to do hit the weights. by doing the weights first, you will deplete you muscles glycogen stores, therefore when you come to do your cardio, it wont take as long for you to get into the fat burning "zone". considering it takes about 20 minutes to deplete your muscles of glycogen otherwise, if they are already depleted, fat will be used quicker.

if you do your weights then consume your shake, you will just be replenishing your glucose/glycogen levels, therefore making the first 20 minutes at least of your cardio all about using that up. if you hit the weights, then do cardio straight after FOR NO LONGER THAN 30 MINUTES then get your shake down you immediately after, it would probably be more beneficial. but at the end o the day, it comes down to what works for you, so experiment if you must!

Thread Information