kyjelly is offline Banned

Sore After Workouts...

Are you suppose to be sore after every workout, or the next day? Does that mean, your muscles are growing? Or what?

vacarski is offline Junior Member
    Soreness the day after a workout is a good sign. Thats partially where the old adage "no pain, no gain" comes from; the day after you should be in pain.

Basically when you work out your breaking down and tearing the muscle cells in that area. One chemical which helps you to repair your muscle is Lactic Acid. When the lactic acid builds up in the muscle you experience soreness.

IMO if you dont get sore after a workout you didnt train hard enough.

Also, be sure not to train that same muscle again while its sore. Its during the rest and recuperation that the muscle actually grows larger. Be sure to give you body adequate time to heal or you risk overtraining and ergo frustrating your gains.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    As long as you are improving in reps, weight, or shorter rests between sets, you are doing just that....improving... soreness is nice, but somedays you just won't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    As long as you are improving in reps, weight, or shorter rests between sets, you are doing just that....improving... soreness is nice, but somedays you just won't get it...
    agreed...i train very hard, but sometimes the next day i dont feel it, some days i do. If i consistantly do more work each week then i will feel it, its very rare for me to dub it 'pain' though. Pain is something i dont like, being sore is something i love.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    agreed...i train very hard, but sometimes the next day i dont feel it, some days i do. If i consistantly do more work each week then i will feel it, its very rare for me to dub it 'pain' though. Pain is something i dont like, being sore is something i love.
    yeah if you improve weekly (or routinely) you will undoubtedly hit a day where it is VERY hard to improve... you'll feel the soreness then...

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    dose heavy on protein when done lifting to help repair the damage you did while workingout, this will cut back on some of the soreness. lactic acid build up is to be expected, slightly sore is good, really sore with every workout is not, if you are just getting back into lifting or adding more volume , expect to be more sore than normal,

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    Are you suppose to be sore after every workout, or the next day? Does that mean, your muscles are growing? Or what?
    If you want to make progress from every workout, you should have some muscle soreness on the muscle groups you’ve trained. During a workout, you "tear down" muscle tissue (these are microscopic tears, nothing serious). After the workout, the muscle begins to rebuild itself, and if it receives sufficient rest and nutrients, this rebuilding process will create new muscle tissue that is bigger and stronger.

ward065 is offline Member
    i have a psychological thing where i must be extremely sore after each workout...to the point where after training a specific muscle group, it must feel very painful the next day. I always train to a level where i am assured to get this -otherwise i feel the workout was a waste. I do balance this however by fairly infrequent training, about 4 days per week.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by vacarski
    Soreness the day after a workout is a good sign. Thats partially where the old adage "no pain, no gain" comes from; the day after you should be in pain.

Basically when you work out your breaking down and tearing the muscle cells in that area. One chemical which helps you to repair your muscle is Lactic Acid. When the lactic acid builds up in the muscle you experience soreness.

IMO if you dont get sore after a workout you didnt train hard enough.

Also, be sure not to train that same muscle again while its sore. Its during the rest and recuperation that the muscle actually grows larger. Be sure to give you body adequate time to heal or you risk overtraining and ergo frustrating your gains.
    It means nothing for muscle growth

DOMS is not caused by a lactic acid build up. Lactic acid is a by product of burning sugars during an intense workout and almost all of the lactic acid is removed within an hour or so after exercising. Although Lactic acid may cause your muscles to fatigue, DOMS Soreness is a different problem.

lactic acid caused doms are two diff things.

Lactic acid causes Acute Muscle Soreness (OMS I think is another term but not sure what O stands for) and fatigue, but I didn't think it caused long term soreness.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 03-23-2006 at 10:58 AM.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    sometimes i get sore...sometimes i dont, even when i work just as hard as the last workout where i did get sore. so i really dont think it means anything...muscles that are least likely to be sore are biceps and calves.

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    It means nothing for muscle growth

DOMS is not caused by a lactic acid build up. Lactic acid is a by product of burning sugars during an intense workout and almost all of the lactic acid is removed within an hour or so after exercising. Although Lactic acid may cause your muscles to fatigue, DOMS Soreness is a different problem.

lactic acid caused doms are two diff things.
    The lactic acid system is capable of releasing energy to resynthesise ATP without the involvement of oxygen and is called anaerobic glycolysis. Glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates) results in the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogens ions (H+). A build up of H+ will make the muscle cells acidic and interfere with their operation so carrier molecules, called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), remove the H+. The NAD+ is reduced to NADH which deposit the H+ at the electron transport gate (ETC) in the mitrochondria to be combined with oxygen to form water (H2O).

If there is insufficient oxygen then NADH cannot release the H+ and they build up in the cell. To prevent the rise in acidity pyruvic acid accepts H+ forming lactic acid which then dissociates into lactate and H+. Some of the lactate diffuses into the blood stream and takes some H+ with it as a way of reducing the H+ concentration in the muscle cell. The normal pH of the muscle cell is 7.1 but if the build up of H+ continues and pH is reduced to around 6.5 then muscle contraction may be impaired and the low pH will stimulate the free nerve endings in the muscle resulting in the perception of pain (the burn). This point is often measured as the lactic threshold or anaerobic threshold or onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA).

The process of lactic acid removal takes approx. one hour, but this can be accelerated by undertaking an appropriate warm down which ensures a rapid and continuous supply of oxygen to the muscles.

The normal amount of lactic acid circulating in the blood is about 1 to 2 millimoles/litre of blood. The onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA) occurs between 2 and 4 millimoles/litre of blood. In non athletes this point is about 50% to 60% VO2 max and in trained athletes around 70% to 80% VO2 max.

Lactic acid - friend or foe?
    Lactic acid (lactate) is not:

responsible for the burn in the leg muscles when exercising very fast
    responsible for the soreness you experience in the 48 hours following a hard session
    a waste product
    Lactate, which is produced by the body all day long, is resynthesized by the liver (Cori Cycle) to form glucose which provides you with more energy. Sounds like a friend to me.
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm

Interesting, I guess you learn something everyday. Thanks SPG

Causes of DOMS
    It is thought that delayed onset muscle soreness is the result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers. The amount of tearing (and soreness) depends on the activity, the intensity and the time of the activity. Any movement you aren't used to can lead to DOMS, but eccentric muscle contraction (movements that cause muscle to contract while it lengthens) seem to cause the most soreness

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/i...a/aa010600.htm

Interesting, I guess you learn something everyday. Thanks SPG
    Dude i wasn’t saying you were wrong in any way I was just voicing my opinion.

so what are you telling me....
    Last edited by S.P.G; 03-23-2006 at 11:28 AM.

TheRel33 is offline Banned
    my muscle group i work that day is sore for like 3 days later all exept for my shoulders they are never sore weird

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Causes of DOMS
    It is thought that delayed onset muscle soreness is the result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers. The amount of tearing (and soreness) depends on the activity, the intensity and the time of the activity. Any movement you aren't used to can lead to DOMS, but eccentric muscle contraction (movements that cause muscle to contract while it lengthens) seem to cause the most soreness

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/i...a/aa010600.htm
    no-one is disputing this but the notion that you have to feel soreness for it to be an effective workout and soreness to be paramount to muscle growth is incorrect.and microscopic muscle tears is also just one way in which the muscle grows.

Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    no-one is disputing this but the notion that you have to feel soreness for it to be an effective workout and soreness to be paramount to muscle growth is incorrect.and microscopic muscle tears is also just one way in which the muscle grows.

Thread Information