bombastico is offline Junior Member

Shin splints are killing me

Was on a bulking diet the last 6 months and never really did much cardio.

Starting to cut now and went in to do some early morning cardio. 40 min low impact brisk walking 75% HR. I started getting some painful shin splints about 10 minutes into it. Kept going for another 20 and had to stop.

I think I'm just going to switch to the seated bicycle. My question (and may be dumb) is that; will I be able to get a good cardio workout on the bicycle compared to the treadmill? I just never feel like I got a good enough workout on a cycle compared to a treadmill. This may sound really petty and anal, but I dont want to waste my time.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    I had the same problen as you, I actually had to sit down because they got so bad. I would keep walking after a couple days they will go away.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by bombastico
    Was on a bulking diet the last 6 months and never really did much cardio.

Starting to cut now and went in to do some early morning cardio. 40 min low impact brisk walking 75% HR. I started getting some painful shin splints about 10 minutes into it. Kept going for another 20 and had to stop.

I think I'm just going to switch to the seated bicycle. My question (and may be dumb) is that; will I be able to get a good cardio workout on the bicycle compared to the treadmill? I just never feel like I got a good enough workout on a cycle compared to a treadmill. This may sound really petty and anal, but I dont want to waste my time.
    got the same prob mate, am guna gan to the docs and see if they can get me an instep for my trainers, me mate got sum cos his knees were ****ed hes ok now.

and i feel the same when i use the stepper machine, i dont feel half as tired compared to running.

you wont be wasting your time maybe do an extra 10 mins on the bike or crank up the settings. hope you get your splints sorted mate.

SuperChicken1 is offline Junior Member

Exercise for taming shinsplints

Okay, so this sounds pretty weird but I learnd it from my cross country coach in HS and he ran for UCLA.

take off your shoes and sid on a chair or stool or whatever.
    Spread a hand towel out on the floor in front of your toes as you sit.
    use your toes to roll the towel up... sometimes it looks more like scooting it under your feet but hopefully you get the idea
    It is much easier on a smooth floor (tile or the like instead of carpet)...

Good luck,

SC1

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had the same problem for the first 4 weeks of cardio. I just keep trying to work through it untill it got to bad, then I got on the bike. Now I dont have any trouble with them. Also I started streching my calfs more often and seemed to helped also.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    mine never go away. try doing some kind of calf raises bfore hand and get them warmed up. it is the only thing that helps me get through it. t always hurts but i just keep going through the pain.

mkv213 is offline Member
    holy shit i hear ya my man. I just got in from running and my shit kills everytime. I even get them when I walk fast. I just did start cardio back up. I feel your pain (Right now even)

mkv213 is offline Member
    I was just sitting down to post the same question. lol

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    alot of us are in the same boat....remember to stretch your calves like crazy before running or walking fast, and use ice on your calves and shins when finished running this will keep the swelling down....with all injuries or soreness time is the best thing.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    First off you shouldn’t do anymore running until they feel better. Make sure you have good sneakers and you might consider getting some arch supports. I use to get shin splits, but cleared them up as soon as I got some arch supports. Stretching before and after is very important as well as icing them for 20 – 30 minutes afterwards. Also, doing the exercise with the towel like SuperChicken1 suggested is excellent. If your condition persists after all this you should probably go see a podiatrist, as shin splints can sometimes mask small stress fractures. Plus he’ll probably recommend a set of orthotics. I hope that you feel better soon.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    when i first started running i had shin splints,i just changed the trainers i had and it went,not saying that will cure it but its suprising how much effect it can have.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Also a stretch might help out.

Put you heal on the floor and your toes on the wall while standing, press forward it will stretch ya out well.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    stevo80 is 100% on this one.. attempt to drive your knee towards the wall.,,,, slow stretches before and after..

i was crippled last year and the year before... this simple exercies/stretch will keep you jumping..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Thread Information