bracks02 is offline New Member

Over training or not?

I still consider my self a newbie when it comes to body building, but I work out with a guy you has been lifting for a few years off and on. I feel we are over training but he doesnt think so. We work on an Army base (not in the Army) and we are allowed to use the gym, not the greatest but its free. We only have a hour lunch so we end up working out five days a week. This is our schedule

Mon: back/bi's
    Tues: chest
    Wens: shoulders/traps
    Thurs: tri's
    Fri: Legs

I have heard some say five days a week is to much but in order for us to workout and eat we have to do it this way. Now for our routine this is what we usually do.

Back/Bi's: long bar curls/3*6-8
    seated incline alt curls/3*6-8
    hammer curls/3*6-8 or sets of 21's
    seated low rows/3*8
    lat pulldowns/3*8
    db rows/3*8

Chest: flat bench/3*8
    incline db press/3*8
    cable flys/pec flys 3*8

Shoulders/traps: mil press/3*8
    upright rows/3*8
    shrugs/3*8
    lat raises/3*8
    side raises/3*8

Tri's: skull crushers/3*8
    rope pulldowns/3*8
    straight bar pulldowns/3*8
    close grip bench/3*8

Legs: squats/4*8
    quad exstensions/3*8
    ham exstensions/3*8
    standing calv raises/3*20 (they don't have any equipment to do calves)

So thats pretty much our workout routine, I may be wrong about the over training but if you could help me out that would be great, and any suggestions would also be great.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Looks fine to me but it depends on a lot of factors like your diet your fitness level, what gear your on if any, supps. Only you can tell if your hitting it too hard. Are you making gains? If yes then its all good. If not then take a good look at diet then at training.

suckysucky is offline Associate Member
    I dont see a major problem with it, listen to your body. Just got one suggestion, switch you shoulder day wiht your leg day. This gives your upper body a break in the middle of the week, and i dont know about u but i cant do shoulders after chest because im to sore. JMO

bracks02 is offline New Member
    Thanks for the replys, yes I'm making gains so I guess I'm still ok then, what are the sighns of over training? the only area i'm not seeing good gains in is my shoulders, also my legs but we just started doing them. so I don't know if I should hit the shoulders harder or not.

Triple X is offline Banned
    Here is my opinion:

1.You don't have enough back work. Why do 2 exercises that both target the lats? You need to add some deadlifts and take out 1 of the rows.
    2. Lateral raises and side raises are the same thing. I think you meant front raises which, consequently, I would take out because you don't need them.
    3. Why do rope and straight bar pushdowns for triceps? They are the same thing. 4 exercises is also too many.
    4. You need to vary your rep range.

Quote Originally Posted by bracks02
    Thanks for the replys, yes I'm making gains so I guess I'm still ok then, what are the sighns of over training? the only area i'm not seeing good gains in is my shoulders, also my legs but we just started doing them. so I don't know if I should hit the shoulders harder or not.
    signs of over training are lethargic, unmotivated, low immune system (frequent colds ect) not making gains or losing muscle/size.

Triple X is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bracks02
    This is a very common mistake. People think that because something isn't growing, they need to hit it harder. Not So. What you need to do is switch up your routine or change your exercises. Doing more will only set you back farther.

"the best excercise is the one your not doing" - Dan Duchaine

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    Tri's: skull crushers/3*8
    rope pulldowns/3*8
    straight bar pulldowns/3*8
    close grip bench/3*8
    how does this take you an entire workout

Legs: squats/4*8
    quad exstensions/3*8
    ham curls3*8
    standing calv raises/3*20 (they don't have any equipment to do calves

cavles can be done on stairs or take a db put it on your knee while your sitting on a bench, make sure your tip of your toe is elevated on a chunk of wood or something.

i dont think your overtraining bro,

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    i have never seen a workout broken down like that with tri's only, but here are some options if you ever want to change it
    bis/tri
    legs
    chest
    back
    shoulder/traps

or 4 dayer
    chest tris
    back bis
    shoulder/ traps
    legs

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    try it out,looks finem just make sure you are getting good gains, if you feel constantly burned out, you may want to drop some volume

Thread Information