KingMike is offline Associate Member

Possible to work arms 3 times a week?

Got to talking today to a "track" guy at school with HUGE quads, decent chest and back but his arms are like a little girl. He does not lift weights. Just the running, sprinting and he says he does situps and pushups 3-4 times a week.

He saw me lifting and asked if he could work his arms on 3 non consecutive days, I told him that I was not sure. I told him maybe with like 4-5 sets for bis and tris with higer reps (12-15) that it might be possible, what do you guys think. He eats very healthy but just wants his arms a little bigger and nothing else.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    No !

Target the arms only once a week . With all the other training his arms will get worked as a secondary muscle thoughout the week.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Muscles need time to rebuild and working them 3x a week doesnt allow for that. My suggestions is to lower the number of reps instead, If he is into track then he is alot like me (cycling). When working arms I do 3 sets of 8-10. If I can't do 8 then my weight is too high, if I feel I could probably do 11 then my weight is too low. You will hear lots of other suggestions from guys on here going anywhere from 1-5 sets with 4-10 reps. But my suggestion as another athelete into the same types of exercise is to start with 3 sets of 8-10 and go from there adjusting reps & sets as needed.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMike
    Got to talking today to a "track" guy at school with HUGE quads, decent chest and back but his arms are like a little girl. He does not lift weights. Just the running, sprinting and he says he does situps and pushups 3-4 times a week.

He saw me lifting and asked if he could work his arms on 3 non consecutive days, I told him that I was not sure. I told him maybe with like 4-5 sets for bis and tris with higer reps (12-15) that it might be possible, what do you guys think. He eats very healthy but just wants his arms a little bigger and nothing else.
    In bold above..That's what his problem is.

He needs to start lifting weights ...period

arm-training once or twice per week would suffice.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    yeah , you cant play catch up for lost time, one time a wk for beginers. 2 times a wk once you raise you GPP or overall endurance( ithink twice a wk is a waste, there are alot of other muscle groups to train besides bi's and tris')

the arms are a small muscle group, no reason to annihilate them.

if, as nark says, he incorporated weightlifting into his routine then the various pulling and pressing exercises he would be doing throughout the week for bodyparts such as chest, shoulders and back would give his arms enough heavy work, with only a small number of sets (once or twice a week max) needed to achieve some wanted growth in the bi's and tri's.

3 times a week ain't the answer!

WidowMaker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    yeah , you cant play catch up for lost time, one time a wk for beginers. 2 times a wk once you raise you GPP or overall endurance( ithink twice a wk is a waste, there are alot of other muscle groups to train besides bi's and tris')
    That's right! If you hit you core and auxillary work hard enough and stagegically, at both of your's level, you will not need additional arm days.
    Powerlifter or bodybuilder.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by WidowMaker
    That's right! If you hit you core and auxillary work hard enough and stagegically, at both of your's level, you will not need additional arm days.
    Powerlifter or bodybuilder.
    exactly!!! i cll it "killing to birds withone stone" ever notice when you do lat work you get a pump in your bi's too? so after lats, do biceps and you are saving yourself time and multiple exercises, same applies with chest movenets and tri's. now not everyone trains like this and you dont have, to, but if you think about it, it makes alot of fckn sense!

Thread Information