Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    y100adics is offline Associate Member

Outer bicep and peak

I've been doing close grip EZ Barl curls for outer bis and concentration curls for peak ... doesnt seem to be working ... any advice or suggestions please ... Thanks

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    Heavy & often for me has been helping. I have been using the "strive" machine lately...it works nice...also spider curls.. unfortunately peaks are more genetic than anything...but you can still have big biceps

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Try straight bar curls and hammer curls. The peak and width will come when your bi's start to grow.

silverback300lbs is offline New Member
    I would concentrate more on squeezing you bi's during sets and flexing between sets than heavy wts. I used to go heavy then switched to concentrating on the pump. I almost never go over 12 reps on my workouts and have since seen vast improvements from show to show. There is nothing wrong with a good old heavy arm work out every third week or so but I would stick to forcing as much blood as you can into your arms.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    you really cant focus on a particular part of a muscle. The Bicep has two heads you can concentrate on causing one head to contract with more force than the other depending on angle of the ulnar, radius in relation to the Humorus.

Quote Originally Posted by silverback300lbs
    I would concentrate more on squeezing you bi's during sets and flexing between sets than heavy wts. I used to go heavy then switched to concentrating on the pump. I almost never go over 12 reps on my workouts and have since seen vast improvements from show to show. There is nothing wrong with a good old heavy arm work out every third week or so but I would stick to forcing as much blood as you can into your arms.
    A pump doesn't = hypertrophy

acessorized is offline New Member
    for growth go supa heavy as much as you can handle without losing accuracy
    with few reps and remember to go supa slow when declining the weight ...

Quote Originally Posted by acessorized
    I've never heard someone use that terminology before...

Jason865 is offline Banned
    Peak is 100% genetic

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acessorized
    The eccentric phase of the exercise does not increase contractile strength or cause hypertrophy. It does however increase isometric breaking strenght and increase the ability to resist the movement of the wieght agains the pull of the muscle.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by y100adics
    I've been doing close grip EZ Barl curls for outer bis and concentration curls for peak ... doesnt seem to be working ... any advice or suggestions please ... Thanks
    Muscle shape is genetic to an extent as others have pointed out nontheless I believe preacher curls are a good method to develop a peak for two reasons, the first being preachers are a very strict exercise the bicep is forced to work without any assistance from the hips or shoulders which means maximal contraction throughout the entire range of movement which will develop the full shape of the muscle.

Secondly the bicep crosses two joints the elbow and the shoulder which means when the upper arm is at a rightangle to the upper body there is no stretch on the bicep at the top of the movement unlike the traditional curl position where the bicep is not actually fully contracted, this allows for the fullest possible contraction of the bicep thus developing the full shape and the natural peak.

As for developing inner and outer heads with wide or close grip, some say it BS, I believe this is possible due to the fact that the bicep has two insertion points on the ulna, one wraps round the forearm to insert in the ulna from the opposite direction, this is how the bicep can also twist the forearm, you will notice that with close and wide grip the wrist has to twist outwards or inwards this will increase or decrease the stretch on one head at a time allowing for a fuller contraction one side.

Not even a small chance you can target the "peak" of the muscle by weight training. Insertions and origins have nothing to do with builduing the tip or end of a muscle, that just makes no sence at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason865
    Not even a small chance you can target the "peak" of the muscle by weight training. Insertions and origins have nothing to do with builduing the tip or end of a muscle, that just makes no sence at all.
    Ha Ha... Man you come right out of a comic book!

100% truth, read it and learn.

Jason if you actually read my posts you would see that in part at least I am in agreement with you, as Ive said before you do have at least SOME anatomical knowledge and you have the potential to develop it further and make some valuable contributions but just calling posts as BS without offering your alternative suggestions or giving your reasons is not helping the thread starter or your own reputation. Dont get me wrong I like reading your posts and I welcome them. Five people in this thread have offered answers to the question without slating peolple they are in disagreement with, if you could do the same Im sure the thread starter would greatly appreciate it.

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    with me its preacher curl for peak.....straight bar for overall length ......hammer for width and upper forearm......and reverse preacher for the lower biscep and forearm.....

Quote Originally Posted by beuleux
    Jason if you actually read my posts you would see that in part at least I am in agreement with you, as Ive said before you do have at least SOME anatomical knowledge and you have the potential to develop it further and make some valuable contributions but just calling posts as BS without offering your alternative suggestions or giving your reasons is not helping the thread starter or your own reputation. Dont get me wrong I like reading your posts and I welcome them. Five people in this thread have offered answers to the question without slating peolple they are in disagreement with, if you could do the same Im sure the thread starter would greatly appreciate it.
    Look I gave my opinoion .....what more do you want me to say? The're no "alternative suggestions" for this guy, he is stuck with what he was born with.

As for your preacher curl recomendation, Larry Scotrt loved them and he had 0 peak so it did not seem to help him, Arnold had peak at 14 and it never got any better just bigger, so it seems genetic even on the non scientific level. And for the record you are "slating peolple" here not I.

Sorry if I stick up for my opinions but I don't want new people to be misleawd with pseudoscience and gym myth.

Like I said, Peak is 100% genetic.

Geez dont be so serious... Miseryguts

Animal505 is offline Junior Member
    hey man, try doing "incline bench curlz" with using eather DBells or bar, I prefer doing it on the cable mach. This will hit the long head of the biceps (the inner part) and sticking with the close grip curlz will hit the outer portion of the biceps the only thing you are forgetting is the bread and butter of any biceps workout, the olympic strait bar curl. Doing these 3 variations will diffinatly send you on your way to mountainess biceps!

Thanks for all the input ... got a little heated there for a sec ... lol ... thanks fellas!!

Superbol is offline New Member
    There has to be some way to increase the outer bicep or I'm ruined!!!

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbol
    There has to be some way to increase the outer bicep or I'm ruined!!!
    hammers and use a narrow grip when using the barbell and ez bar.

SNUKA is offline Member
    I agree with Jayrod as far as hammer and close grip preachers or ez-curls they have been working well for me as my peak isn't the greatest and yes alot of it has to do with genetics I wouldn't say it's 100%, but 90% don't sound far off. Same goes for calves for alot of people somtimes even the bottom of your lats. I don't really think you can change the shape of your peak, maybe ever so slightly as you grow over the years.

Superbol is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYROD
    hammers and use a narrow grip when using the barbell and ez bar.
    Ill give them a shot bro, Thanks.

rope curls hit the outer head nicely also because the palms face in when doing this movement. i do the every couple weeks.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I would put money on the fact that most of you are only targeting the bicep and are ignoring the brachialis.

When performing hammer curls, bring the DB into the middle of your chest to target the brachialis. Bringing it up straight is of course all bicep.

What is the brachialis? It is the muscle between your tricep and bicep and when this muscle grows it can push your bicep out and give it a better peak look.

Same with bicep curls on the machine, get a close grip and you will be targeting the bicep as well as the brachialis.

This is a good video of Gunter training with Charles Glass, they hit the brachialis hard in this vid:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid335211101
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 02-19-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Very Good Info!

K.Biz is offline Banned
    thats a great video. i just picked me up some new exercises!

same here...ive actually been watching alot of there vids since you posted it up....and theres some great info and techniques on there....def. good shit!

Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo8
    same here...ive actually been watching alot of there vids since you posted it up....and theres some great info and techniques on there....def. good shit!

Well there you go, now there is no excuse to not train properly.

im not one to make excuses..lol

trin2getswole is offline Junior Member
    great links

great post muriloninja! I'm gonna be late for work cuz I can't stop watching

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I would put money on the fact that most of you are only targeting the bicep and are ignoring the brachialis.

When performing hammer curls, bring the DB into the middle of your chest to target the brachialis. Bringing it up straight is of course all bicep.

What is the brachialis? It is the muscle between your tricep and bicep and when this muscle grows it can push your bicep out and give it a better peak look.

Same with bicep curls on the machine, get a close grip and you will be targeting the bicep as well as the brachialis.

This is a good video of Gunter training with Charles Glass, they hit the brachialis hard in this vid:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid452329939/bclid301789788/bctid335211101
    wow, that's great and worth the 15 minutes
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

No problem guy's...I have learned alot of things from watching the fitshow.

Charles Glass is by far my favorite trainer to watch and listen to, Milos is also awesome.

When you listen to what they have to say you will realise you are lifting improperly and when you try it their way you will notice the difference immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by y100adics
    great post muriloninja! I'm gonna be late for work cuz I can't stop watching
    i agree, awesome video.

yeah man ...i never knew that just with bring the hand placement closer you can target the brachialis

I never knew about that show ... I've added them on myspace and started with season 1 last night .... watch 9 episodes .. lol ... great show .... great info!

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedevo8
    with me its preacher curl for peak.....straight bar for overall length ......hammer for width and upper forearm......and reverse preacher for the lower biscep and forearm.....
    How big are Your amrs bro?

19 1/4 Pumped im 6'2ft tall so my arms are very long , so its harder for my arms to look bigger cause there soo damn long.....but sooner or later ill get there lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information