Tommy Gunn is offline Member

How many minutes of cardio is this considered?

If I get on the treadmill and walk for 5 minutes at 3 mph (as a warm up), and than I run at a fast pace for 20 minutes at between 6-8 mph, and than I finish up by walking for 5 minutes at 3 mph (as a cool down)...how many minutes of cardio is that considered?

Is it considered 30 minutes because I'm doing 20 minutes of running and 10 minutes of walking? Or is it considered 20 minutes because I'm only doing 20 minutes of running and I shouldn't even count the 10 minutes of walking?

I know this seems like a silly question but do you guys count the warm up and cool down minutes as part of your total time of cardio?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-04-2007 at 11:12 AM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    If I get on the treadmill and walk for 5 minutes at 3 mph (as a warm up), and than I run at a fast pace for 20 minutes at between 6-8 mph, and than I finish up by walking for 5 minutes at 3 mph (as a cool down)...how many minutes of cardio is that considered?

Is it considered 30 minutes because I'm doing 20 minutes of running and 10 minutes of walking? Or is it considered 20 minutes because I'm only doing 20 minutes of running and I shouldn't even count the 10 minutes of walking?

I know this seems like a silly question but do you guys count the warm up and cool down minutes as part of your total time of cardio?
    If the warm-up and warm-down are akin to the standard of each (i.e. non-taxing)..no i wouldn't count 'em as cardio.

It'd be 20 minutes of cardio imo.

Thanks Narkissos.

Narkissos do you think me doing this 2 times a week (Weds. and Sat) is good enough for me to get my stamina back up to par? I'm not really concerned with fat loss I just want to get my lungs and enduarance increased. And between lifting (4 days a week m,tu,th,f) and my full time job I only really have time to do cardio twice a week.

Would this be good enough for my goals (increasing stamina) or is 2x a week a waste of time?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-04-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Springbok_Powered is offline New Member
    Tommy,

I do cardio 20 mins a day, 6 days a week and i find it just enough to loose weight without restricting my diet.

I think you should be able to gauge after a certain period whether you have been training enough. Everybody is different, some need to do cardio more than others. But If you do it more often, you will reach your goal quicker, and if it gets too much, you simply slow down. There's nothing worse than looking back after 6 months and saying "Jeez, I barely did anything, no wonder I still suck"

Not that you suck

beuleux is offline Banned
    Hlf hr bare min and 45 mins ideal, treadmills are hard because they are so boring just open your front door run for 15 mins in one direction and then run back again.

Thanks Narkissos.

Narkissos do you think me doing this 2 times a week (Weds. and Sat) is good enough for me to get my stamina back up to par? I'm not really concerned with fat loss I just want to get my lungs and enduarance increased. And between lifting (4 days a week m,tu,th,f) and my full time job I only really have time to do cardio twice a week.

Would this be good enough for my goals (increasing stamina) or is 2x a week a waste of time?
    It's better than doing nothing.. but it will only minimally improve your stamina.

What do you mean you only have time for cardio twice per week?

I work 7am-3pm M-F. I lift 4 days a week M,T,Th,F. Which means the only days I can run are W,Sat,Sun. So I run on Weds. and Sat. I take Sun off so I can have 1 full day of rest (being that I'm all natural, I don't want to overtrain). The reason I don't run on the days I lift is because I know your not supposed to run before you lift or after you lift that's why I do it the days I don't lift.

Come spring it's gonna be even more hectic when I start my boxing/sparring training again.

See what I mean? It's hard to work full time, get all your meals/supps in, get your lifting AND cardio in, and get some rest as well.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-08-2007 at 07:48 PM.

I work 7am-3pm M-F. I lift 4 days a week M,T,Th,F. Which means the only days I can run are W,Sat,Sun. So I run on Weds. and Sat. I take Sun off so I can have 1 full day of rest (being that I'm all natural, I don't want to overtrain). The reason I don't run on the days I lift is because I know your not supposed to run before you lift or after you lift that's why I do it the days I don't lift.

Come spring it's gonna be even more hectic when I start my boxing/sparring training again.

See what I mean? It's hard to work full time, get all your meals/supps in, get your lifting AND cardio in, and get some rest as well.
    Says who?

Do your cardio pwo M; T; Th; Fr (30-45 minutes)

Toss in a sprint workout on Wednesday .. and take sat and sun fully off to recover.

Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Says who?
    Do your cardio pwo M; T; Th; Fr (30-45 minutes)
    Narkissos
    If i do it that way, should I drink my PWO shake
    after lifting and than go run...or should after I get done lifting go run and THAN take my PWO shake?

Also, what if I keep the running on Weds. and Sat. (my days off of lifting) and add running on Mon. after lifting. That way I can run 3x a week while only running on one day that I lift. Will that work?

By the way, thanks for all your help Narkissos. Lookin' mighty jacked in your pic as well!
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-08-2007 at 08:39 PM.

So what should I do? Should I drink my PWO shake
    after lifting and than go run...or should after I get done lifting go run and THAN take my PWO shake?

I really could use some help with this.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 01-09-2007 at 08:23 PM.

bump

elcoman is offline Junior Member
    this is going to sound retarded and noobish but is PWO pre workout or post workout?

post workout, I made the same mistake in the beginning too

Thread Information